Ka-bar straight vs serrated. I am sure this is on here already but I couldn't find it

This is a discussion on Ka-bar straight vs serrated. I am sure this is on here already but I couldn't find it within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am trying to get my boyfriend an engraved ka-bar for christmas so I can't just ask him which he would prefer. He's ex military ...

View Poll Results: straight or serrated ka-bar

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • straight

38 79.17%
  • serrated

10 20.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Ka-bar straight vs serrated. I am sure this is on here already but I couldn't find it

Ka-bar straight vs serrated. I am sure this is on here already but I couldn't find it

I am trying to get my boyfriend an engraved ka-bar for christmas so I can't just ask him which he would prefer. He's ex military and I have no idea which to get him straight or serrated? any help/suggestions would be great thank you!

2. Remove Ads

If this were a gift from someone I loved it would not make any difference it would be just a cherished. :) Personally I prefer a non serrated blade, but I have both.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I prefer serrated because it makes the knife more useful if cutting rope and the like. Also, it's there if you need it, and if you don't you just use the front of the knife. Always better to have options!
    Spade115 likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Will it be a working knife or a show peice,for work the serrated is probably better suited.
    Quote Originally Posted by missbrittany View Post
    I am trying to get my boyfriend an engraved ka-bar for christmas so I can't just ask him which he would prefer. He's ex military and I have no idea which to get him straight or serrated? any help/suggestions would be great thank you!

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I prefer serrated since its sharpness lasts longer. I would only use straight if my state does not allow serrated knives or if that is what they have to offer only.

Be careful of what you are "told" and don't believe everything you read. A serrated blade will NOT stay sharp longer, that is a function of the steel, its hardness and the angle of grind along with what is cut. It is true though that a serrated blade is more difficult to sharpen. :)
    ironmike86 and Spec like this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

My preference is a straight blade, but either will work.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It depends on the intended use...personally I like straight edged knives, but the serrations, as long as they don't take up too much of the overall blade area, do come in quite handy for tree limbs and etc. while camping and the like. I'd probably go for the partial serrated model if it were to be a "working" knife. If it were just a skinner/fighter, I'd probably go straight edge.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Administrator
    See how it works missbrittany?

Get the serrated....No, I'd get the straight blade...go for the serrated blade...no...no serrations are best...

Now you still don't know which one to buy.

Personally I hate serrations on working blades. I think they get in the way much more than they are ever needed.

On a camp/survival knife they are the absolute worst hairbrained idea ever.

I'd buy the knife without serrations and if he decides that he WANTS a serrated knife - then any custom knife maker can always add them to the blade.

One of the only knives that I ever actually LIKED serrations on was the double line of serrations on the Gerber MARK II but, that was a dagger type killing knife only and not good for much else in the way of anything practical.

Truthfully I think that if you two are boyfriend/girlfriend he will LOVE the knife as a gift either way "serrated or non-serrated" because it's a gift from you.

But, if you really, truly, love the guy...then get him the non-serrated blade and blame me if he wanted a serrated blade.

I should add that serrations would not bother me at all if they were located on the spine of the knife but, I really object to them on the knife edge.

Just one mans opinion on the topic of blade serrations.

the serrated one I was considering is only partial I attached an image. Yes I want him to be able to use it not just sit it somewhere to display. He does like to go camping so it definitely needs to be practical but also be able to mess someone up if that were to need to happen. Thanks everyone for the input:)

Administrator
    "He does like to go camping so it definitely needs to be practical...."

If you have ever try to smooth up a fire starting spindle or shave up a tinder stick or whittle tent or shelter pegs...or do fine work making a snare with a serrated knife and only being able to use the forward portion of your knife blade...you'll look like this~~~>
    Of course it can be done but, it's more difficult and frustrating.
    Serrations are OK on a folder but are nonsensical on a camp/survival knife.

You can still mess an adversary up big time with a non-serrated blade - it's been done for thousands of years before serrations were ever put on fighting knives.
    Again...just my personal opinion.

Straight blade. For a fixed knife it's better. If you find this poll gets to over 100ppl I bet it will be straight. Serration are nice if in a pocket knive and full serration. You will get way more use on a full blade and it can do everything a serrated blade can
    QKShooter likes this.

I have the serrated. the a 7" blade, you still get about 5" of straight for slicing, and good part of serrated for rope and what not. Plus the serrations on the Ka-bar look so badass

I asked the same question in an earlier thread. I must say QKshooter convinced me on a straight blade.

When I think about it I do not use the serrations on my folder for much. Just helps hold cord or something in place while I cut.

Go straight for the knife. Buy a saw for serrations.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The serrations on the image you attached aren't really practical for situations where you would normally want serrations because you've got about 1.5" of usable "saw stroke" on that thing. This means he'll probably bring a folding saw on a camping trip anyway, thereby making the knife serrations fairly useless. A straight blade is easier to sharpen and will have no trouble eviscerating a predator, regardless if it has two legs or four.

Either way, yer man's clearly got his self a good woman!
    missbrittany likes this.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links