Tanto point verses clip point

This is a discussion on Tanto point verses clip point within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are there any downsides, advantages to the tanto point in an EDC knife? Are they more difficult to sharpen properly?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tanto point verses clip point

Tanto point verses clip point

Are there any downsides, advantages to the tanto point in an EDC knife?

Are they more difficult to sharpen properly?

2. Remove Ads

I never found it to be an advantage... my understanding is the tanto point adds strength to the blade for penetrating whatever is being stabbed. The knives I carry rarely get used that way, so most have the drop point. No real differences in ease of sharpening.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    The American "Tanto" point is a bastardization of the traditional, true, Japanese Tanto point. There is really no advantage to it except possibly for use as a pry bar. That's my personal opinion & others will disagree I'm sure.

I don't have anything against the American Tanto. They are plenty popular for a fact but, there is nothing magical about it with regard to ease & depth of penetration.
    Spade115 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The American "Tanto" point is a bastardization of the traditional, true, Japanese Tanto point. There is really no advantage to it except possibly for use as a pry bar. That's my personal opinion & others will disagree I'm sure.

I don't have anything against the American Tanto. They are plenty popular for a fact but, there is nothing magical about it with regard to ease & depth of penetration.
    This. And they are pain to sharpen. IMHO a clip point will give more options for an EDC blade and tactile blade all in one.

Thanks for the input, I just kind of like the looks of the tanto blade. I found a model that I was thinking of getting to upgrade my EDC. It does seem to me that it must be a little more tricky to sharpen due to the sharp change in direction of the cutting edge.

I think I'll still get the knife and if I find it to hard to sharpen I'll keep it for emergency and get a different EDC knife.

It wont be harder to sharpen if you use a stone or leather. Ive carried many and right now carry a japanese carpenters knife. You will get more options with the traditional drop point but the tanto always looks overly "Tactical" in my opinion. I wouldnt regret getting either. I gave one away to a co-worker who hates tanto and now he's been buying them in bulk. lol

Good luck on your purchase :D
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I have a Gerber 06 automatic with a tanto blade. I really wish I got the drop point instead. It seems the drop point gives you more useful cutting edge. I think the Tanto is sexier, but not quite as useful for an every day type knife.

For what its worth, the Tanto looks like it has more steel in it than a drop point. Maybe it would be a little more effective at a stab/twist type application, but then again, how often does one need to do that...

Cool

Most of the time my knife is digging out splinters or opening boxes (I use the back of the drop point to do that so the blade stays sharp).

I have a few Cold Steel tanto points but the clip points are my EDC.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I've got a tanto point knife that I think is sexy as all get out, but I hate trying to work with it, I like drop point blades for being useful.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I just got a Benchmade Griptillian. I went with the tanto just because I like the looks of it more.

Every knife collector needs to have a tanto or two. I have a kobun which is obviously not a good candidate for edc, but I carry it for self defense periodically. I won't use or sharpen it because I am afraid the secondary tip may get cockeyed or ruined. I would carry a nice tanto and a smaller more practical EDC cutter.

Cool

I still have one of my favorite drop point knives from the 70's before all these fancy types came out.

My Puma Emperor dosen't get carried much but it photographs nice. I like it cause it's "old school".

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Administrator
    "I just kind of like the looks of the tanto blade."

Then go for it if you like it. It's not "inferior" on an EDC knife...It's just not superior.

For a camp/woodcraft/survival fixed blade knife I do think a Tanto point is somewhat less versatile.

I have a tanto in my desk that I use to pry open cigar boxes that are nailed shut for most other purposes I prefer a drop or clip point.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It depends on what you use your EDC blade for. I have one of the original Cold Steel Recon Tantos and I find its pretty much the last blade I will reach for. Too big at about 5.5 inches for EDC and I think the point is overly strong for a fighting knife. It slashes OK but not as well as something with more belly like a K-bar. It penetrates well enough with minimal damage to the tip, but then again, a clip or drop point tip will penetrate as well or even better The point is pretty much useless for finer work. It's great at opening cans and such. It would be great as an emergency tool for knocking a firing hole in a brick wall or cutting your way out of a downed aircraft; something like that. The original Japanese tanto point is much more functional as a slashing blade. The blade primary bevel is too great to be a good cutter as it comes from the factory. I know there are smaller folding style blades of this design for EDC but I see no advantage to them and prefer a more usable tip design.
    Last edited by Hoganbeg; November 12th, 2011 at 03:53 AM.
    QKShooter likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links