Benchmade Griptilian question

This is a discussion on Benchmade Griptilian question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a Griptilian, and was wondering about the blade tip up way that it carries. Has anyone ever had one open up when ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By mfcmb
  • 1 Post By Rockymonster
  • 2 Post By luvmy40
  • 1 Post By curlyandmoe
  • 1 Post By tubadude
  • 1 Post By Aloysius
  • 1 Post By SigHawk
  • 1 Post By RKM

Thread: Benchmade Griptilian question

Benchmade Griptilian question

Just picked up a Griptilian, and was wondering about the blade tip up way that it carries.

Has anyone ever had one open up when pulling it out of the pocket?

All of my other knives carry tip down, and I don't want to get spiked by my new knife.

2. Remove Ads

Never had a problem with mine.
    lowercase and surefire7 like this.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    Never had a problem with mine.
    Ditto....nice knife...had mine a long time!
    lowercase likes this.

Sponsor
    Tip Up is the way to go. If you reach deep with your thumb and grip the bottom of the clip with your index or middle finger your hand is perfectly positioned to open the blade with a flick of the wrist.

I've never had any of my Axis locks open until I opened them.
    surefire7 and lowercase like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Carried mine everyday for the past 5 years and never had a problem. Love the knife. It was getting a little dull so I recently sent it in to get sharpened by Benchmade. For $5 in shipping I got what feels like a new knife.
    lowercase likes this.

I just got one. My last EDC knife was tip down, so it took a little getting used to, but I like this one much better.
    lowercase likes this.

You can move the clip. I have carried a griptilian daily for the past four years. Mine is still tip up, but opening to the rear/back of my pocket. That way I have no chance of catching the blade with my hand if it did open.
    lowercase likes this.

My first Benchmade was a tip-up design. The first week I had it, I kept it in my back right pocket - the same pocket I carried my wallet in. After paying for dinner, I shoved my wallet back into the rear pocket where my knife was. My wallet caught the thumb stud and opened the blade slightly. As I pushed my wallet down, the tip of the blade jammed into my index finger (the top side of the hand, not the palm side). I still have a very visible scar at the base of my index finger just above the first knuckle. That factory edge is sharp and went straight to the bone! Needless to say, I was stupid and have since moved my wallet to my other rear pocket.
    Lesson: keep those pockets clear of anything except your knife and you should be fine. I have carried a tip-up Benchmade every day for the last 8 years, and that was my only incident.
    lowercase likes this.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

RKM
    I can't stand tip-down knives. I have a really nice spring assisted Benchmade-Hk knife that I love, but I don't carry it because it's tip-down. Tip-up is the way to go for me. I have a Griptilian and it's my favorite knife. tied a zip-tie through the thumbstud hole so it WILL open when pulling it out of my pocket. It's actually preferred, by me anyway.

I did the same thing SigHawk did. Also moved my knife to other back pocket and had no issues for 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    Just picked up a Griptilian, and was wondering about the blade tip up way that it carries.

Has anyone ever had one open up when pulling it out of the pocket?

All of my other knives carry tip down, and I don't want to get spiked by my new knife.
    Yeah, boy did I ever. When I first got mine I carried it in my left hand pocket. I reached in there one day to take it out and the blade had somehow opened slightly and boy did I get a nasty cut. Ever since then it gets carried on my right hand side so that the blade can't open due to being positioned right up against the seam of my pocket. Other than that one incident never had a problem with mine... Excellent folder IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

No never had a problem.

I use a paracord lanyard to eliminate the possibility of cutting myself. You can learn to make one in about 5 min on Youtube.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I keep my Griptilian 550HG tucked into the back seam of my right front pocket. Easy access and the spine being against the seam of the pocket means that it can't ever open up on me.

Links