No longer willing to be a sheep

This is a discussion on No longer willing to be a sheep within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The OC Age Restriction thread got me thinking. I don't want to be a sheep anymore and since I can't carry a firearm in my ...

Thread: No longer willing to be a sheep

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar

No longer willing to be a sheep

The OC Age Restriction thread got me thinking. I don't want to be a sheep anymore and since I can't carry a firearm in my state, OC spray is probably the next best thing.

Give me the good, the bad and the ugly on the 2oz Fox Labs OC spray. I'll probably get the stream version and will probably carry it in a nylon pouch. I go to school at the University of Illinois in Champaign (http://www.uiuc.edu) I need to look around to see if OC is prohibited on campus before I purchase. (I will probably buy from http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/sprays.htm so reviews from that company are also welcome.)

I currently carry a Gerber AR 3.00 folder and an LED pocket flashlight. I've got decent situational awareness so this OC will just be another tool.

Please give me advice as a first time OC carrier. Let me learn from your mistakes so that I can keep myself out of trouble and keep the OC out of MY eyes. Thanks in advance for all of the help.

2. Remove Ads

OC is a great tool and has worked for me several times in de-escalating a situation. There are several things to remember in using this, like being aware of the wind direction if outdoors to prevent as much "cross contamination" as possible. Just being in the immediate area you will get some in your eyes and nose, so expect this. The attacker usually will not immediately go down, it takes a few seconds to take effect. Also, be aware that OC will not incapacitate all people, some can still fight after being sprayed but for most it is excellent to "take them out" long enough to get away. The important part is to GET AWAY. Don't stand there to see how much the bad guy is going to scream before you run! Check your local laws concerning the carry of this and find a training course in its use. As far as Fox brand is concerned, it is a very good brand and has worked well for law enforcement...I can write a book on its use as I am a instructor for law enforcement. But, all in all, the best defense is to not be there. Use your awareness of your surroundings and try to avoid confrontation if at all possible. But on the same note, be prepared if you find yourself in one. OC is only one tool of many available.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think that the 2oz can would be too big for everyday carry in a belt pouch?

Quote Originally Posted by lawman12 View Post
    The attacker usually will not immediately go down, it takes a few seconds to take effect. Also, be aware that OC will not incapacitate all people, some can still fight after being sprayed but for most it is excellent to "take them out" long enough to get away.
    Excellent points. Ensure you are prepared to defend yourself until the OC takes effect. Ensure you have another plan in case it does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk6 View Post
    Excellent points. Ensure you are prepared to defend yourself until the OC takes effect. Ensure you have another plan in case it does not.
    My legs (in the form of running away) and my knife will be my backup plan. And probably in that order as well.

Administrator

Absolutely carry the 2 OZ if you are able to carry it.

Buy one keychain unit also. It's quicker to have one already in hand.

The 2oz Fox seems cheap enough that I'm going to go ahead and buy it. If it's too large for everyday carry, it'll sit by my nightstand next to my Mossberg 500. I can always get the keychain model later on.

How many seconds of spray can I expect from the 2 oz container?

Too Much?

Cant have too much Fox Spray I always say . We each have 1 in the car, wife has 1 in her office, one in her purse, and there is one mounted by the front door, plus one on the bedstand.

Then there are the guns
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Links