Sshhh! Please don't tell!

This is a discussion on Sshhh! Please don't tell! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought this for hubby for Christmas. He is of Irish decent and has a black belt in kung fu. He's trained with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Sshhh! Please don't tell!

I just bought this for hubby for Christmas. He is of Irish decent and has a black belt in kung fu. He's trained with a cane.

So, I thought of this when we were discussing his dad who needed a cane when he got older. I didn't know that a shilleligh was a self defense weapon in its history.

I got it kinda as a conversation piece but I was wondering if you all think this could be used successfully for SD by the front door (beside the gun) or out walking the woods (with a gun).

Either way, I think he'll like it!
    Attached Images
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Sounds nice but the picture you attached is the same size as the thumbnail. I want to see it up close!
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

pic wont get bigger :( Looks Good from what I can tell, dont see why it cant be used if he has a gun on him either way might ask why he didnt use the stick first. But good to have around. :D
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

If I remember right from my days of watching professional wrestling one of the characters always brought one of these out and usually ended up using it to clobber his opponent. I'm picturing, in simple terms, a rock attached to the end of a stick. I think if crafted right it could be an effective weapon especially in the hands of a trained individual. Also would be real appealing to those with Irish decent. I think you did good.

finley.jpg
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Don't those go back to the days when men were men and the guy with a giant hammer (Braveheart) was one of the most feared guys on the battlefield.

VIP Member
    Cool, nice X-mas idea!!!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Can't figure how to make the picture bigger. (eBay picture) It's coming directly from Ireland.
    38" long and 750grams (almost 2 lbs.) It's made from the blackthorn shrub (Prunus spinosa) and has these deadly looking thorns on it. The thorns have been cut back to nubs.
    I'll post pictures as soon as I get it.
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

That looks nice, and sounds real. Cold steel also makes a plastic one, I would imagine also pretty much a devastating weapon as is any stick in the hands of someone trained to use it.
    Amazon.com: Cold Steel Irish Blackthorn Walking Stick with Polypropylene, 37-Inch: Health & Personal Care

"Sail-Éille" is Gaelic for "I'm sorry! Please stop hitting me! I can't feel my legs!" (it's a remarkably efficient language). Especially due to the hardness of the wood and the fulcrum force of the counter-weighted end, it is a potentially lethal blunt force instrument. If your hubby has training with clubs or staves, he'll be a holy terror with one of these! And, it's acceptable in places where a firearm might not be.

If he's interested, he should try and look up some practitioners of Bataireacht - Irish stick fighting. They've developed techniques specifically around the mechanical advantage of the Sail-Éille which is a little different than straight oriental staves or cane fighting.

That is an awesome Christmas gift!

Joe

It's here! It came by USPS and hubby got the mail today. It was wrapped in bubble wrap and tape with a huge label that said "WALKING STICK". So much for the surprise. He knew immediately what it was and had a huge grin on his face. Christmas came early this year. He unwrapped it and went for an hour walk in the woods with the dogs and the stick (I think he forgot his Bersa). Here're some pictures. Note those "sawed off" thorn nubs.
    Attached Images
    Copperjacket likes this.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Very nice! Great choice. I carried a Coldsteel cane all over Europe, on several flights, and was never looked at twice.

Administrator
    Nice Gift.
    And....It looks much, much, nicer now that we can actually see what it looks like.
    Thanks for the PIC update.

Nice! Merry Christmas!

Nix
    Fabulous gift.

Isn't it called a shillelagh? My mum's Irish and that's what she calls them.
    Gen 1 G17, Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, 870P, MkIII 678, 10/22 Carbine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links