Need New Knife for Girlfriend

This is a discussion on Need New Knife for Girlfriend within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my girlfriend expressed an interest in carrying a knife with her to work. She used to carry my SOG Flash II. This knife seemed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need New Knife for Girlfriend

Need New Knife for Girlfriend

So my girlfriend expressed an interest in carrying a knife with her to work. She used to carry my SOG Flash II. This knife seemed to be along the lines of what she was looking for. Although there were issues. The main issue was the safety. She doesn't want to fumble around with a safety, and I don't blame her. The length was ok, and also the styling of the grip. She didn't want anything overly tactical looking. Also, price point was another problem. She wanted one around the same price as the SOG. Personally I don't mind spending a little more on a nice one, since this is her chosen defensive tool. I would just say it was $50 like the SOG.

Can anyone recommend a folding blade without a safety? Hopefully something with a stronger metal. Wouldn't want the thing to snap if it ever saw use. The SOG has a groove in the front which we both like. Seems to hold the hand in place.

So far I have looked at a kershaw leek with the speedsafe opener. Any other ideas?

2. Remove Ads

my main concern with using a folding knife for self defense would be the safety lock mechanism failing and having the blade close on my hand. That being said, I might recommend the Kershaw Blur and I think it is in your price range.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Look at the 4" Ti-Lite by Cold Steel. Serious weapon. I have both the 4" and 6", and find the 4" is an easier EDC. The locking mechanism is stronger than anything else I've seen, and it opens with an authoritative "snick" that says "back off."
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I've got several, what does she look like?

Oh... nevermind, I thought you were wanting to trade.
    zeppelin03 and SIGguy229 like this.

Another item you or she may want to look into is a item called a monkey fist, made with about a 3/4" steel ball, makes a heck of a key chain. Go to Google and check them out.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

My wife carries a Kershaw Skyline and seems to like its simple design.

My wife tends to use her knife for everything. As much as I can complain that it's not a box cutter / prybar / bottle opener, etc, she still uses it for other tasks. I have a few Ti Lites and all I can see is her breaking a tip to save her fingernails opening a can of Coke. Same reason her knives aren't serrated, easier to resharpen after packing tape has dulled it.

Right now she has a Pesh Kabz from Nealey, and some little KaBar liner lock. Broad thick and indestructable smooth blades. For dressing up she has a Kershaw with the rainbow finish amd the assisted opener (Leek? Chive? something. The bigger one).

Consider that she may not use hers like you use yours.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Sponsor
    Take a little dab of JB Weld and glue the safety switch in the OFF position. Problem solved. Though I've never had the safety on my Flash II engage on it's own.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

RKM
    Just don't flick the safety on........

Most women would probably be attracted to small cute knives like a Kershaw Chive. I actually carry a Kershaw Chive around the house just because it's super tiny. The Leek is very similar in design. I'd probably go with that, or a SOG Twitch II.

Not really looking to rig up my current knife. Also, not looking to just leave the safety off.

Administrator
    Check out the Kershaw Rainbow Titanium knives

KERSHAW Rainbow LEEK ASSISTED SERRATED Knife! 1660VIBST | eBay

NOTE: I have absolutely no idea what would be a fair price for any Kershaw knife - only that the Rainbow Titanium oxide coated sure do look great.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Women's pants have ridiculously small pockets, so I would try and limit the size of the handle to 4.25" or smaller. That being said, my wife was interested in another knife since her Kershaw Chive was a little too small. She didn't like the safety on it. So a tip up knife was a much better choice since the blade can rest against the seam of the pocket. This way, it won't open accidentally.

The Spyderco Delica (Flat Ground) is a quality knife with a solid lock. It's a little above the $50 limit, but it's one of the best EDC knives out there.
    C11F_L.jpg

My wife liked the Spyderco Small Persian a lot more and carries that as her EDC, but it's much higher than the $50 price point.
    C105G2_L.jpg

VIP Member
    The leek lock can be screwed tighter so it won't deploy unexpectedly. I leave mine unlocked. She saw a thin, light, $10 titanium oxide rainbow colored knife at the auto parts store, lost it right away, I got her another, found the original, now I have two to sharpen for her. I use a $10 Winchester knife for boxcutting, but the leek is reserved for cardio-vascular work.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Paging Lima!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I have been looking at a griptilian. Don't mind the price. Seems to be a quality product.

Does this have a safety on it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links