Teach me about Defensive Knives

This is a discussion on Teach me about Defensive Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll admit, I love handguns but have little experience with knives for defense. School me.... what sort of training should I consider.... and what style ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Brademan
  • 1 Post By Spade115
  • 1 Post By ksblazer
  • 2 Post By Nutrodoc
  • 1 Post By MitchellCT

Thread: Teach me about Defensive Knives

I'll admit, I love handguns but have little experience with knives for defense.

School me.... what sort of training should I consider.... and what style of blade should I gravitate towards first?

Darren

You'll discover that there is no one answer to this question, just like there is no single answer to the gun question.

After thirty years of various martial and blade disciplines, and nearly that long as a builder and collector of knives, swords, walking sticks, canes, and auto-knives, what I've gleaned is mostly down to patience. FWIW, here are my observations:

Train FIRST. No point in picking a blade style before you know how you prefer to handle one. Arnis, Excrima, Kali, several of the Phillipine arts, kenjutsu, aikido and several others are all good practice bases. A preference is not necessary. My best advice is to dabble until you find a style that makes sense to YOU. It will probably be a combination of a few.

Decide early that you are willing to be cut. No way around it, in a knife fight. If that freaks you out.....and it damn well should.....it's possible that bladed arts may not be for you. No problem; no shame. Just know it going in.

Then, and only then, take a look at choosing a blade. Your local laws will have an effect; you may be limited to a particular length of blade, style of opening and maybe even prohibited from using a fixed blade at all. Again, just KNOW IT going in and you'll be doing yourself a favor.

There is no magic blade or secret style of edged combat that always works or always wins. But you already know that, or you wouldn't be asking the question! Good luck.
    Okemo, MitchellCT, Lyndo and 1 others like this.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

I like kabar, I dont like that knife (me personally)

I agree it depends, but I would consider picking a knife that feels comfortable to you and then learning how to properly control that knife (Varies person to person) A 10 dollar knife can be used as a good SD knife but dont exspect it to last long in a fight. lol
    Brademan likes this.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I'd recomend that you read a couple of books by Michael D. Janich

Street steel & Knife fighting a prictical course
    Copperjacket likes this.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

DVD: Martial Blade Concepts - the Enhanced Version by Michael Janich. Then get volumes 2 and 3. This is an excellent system based on Filipino knife systems. It's relatively easy to learn and very effective. If you want quality instruction in this system, go to Suarez International and check their class schedule. Their instructors were trained by Michael and do an excellent job of getting you up to speed. If you go to Michael's website, you can watch short video clips of all his videos. You can order from him or from One Source Tactical. I have taken the Suarez course and have all three volumes of the DVDs. Michael also has excellent videos on defensive use of a cane, blowgun, hand-to-hand, and many others.
    Brademan and Copperjacket like this.

Thanks for the info everybody. I'll follow your advise and do more research.

Quote Originally Posted by Brademan View Post

Train FIRST. No point in picking a blade style before you know how you prefer to handle one. Arnis, Excrima, Kali, several of the Phillipine arts, kenjutsu, aikido and several others are all good practice bases. A preference is not necessary. My best advice is to dabble until you find a style that makes sense to YOU. It will probably be a combination of a few.
    THIS.
    Brademan likes this.

I have a kabar tdi also but in nc I can't lawfully carry it off my property. That would be my edc but only carry a Barlow now.

I don't think it's that complicated.

Tom Sotis runs a training group up near you in RI. His system is called AMOK.

If you have the option, a fixed blade is best. If not, a waved folder such as the Spyderco P'Kal is a good choice. If possible try to get a trainer that matches your live blade. For pure self defense, James Keatings "Drawpoint" series is a great place to start. It's simple and very effective. Also, try to find a training partner.

I think Janich and McCann both have some excellent training videos out there. Be patient with it, knife work is complicated to learn. When you figure it out, keep training.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I like the Emerson La Griffe for its small size, concealability, hawkbill blade, and strong retention. It is difficult to take such a knife away from a person, since when it is gripped, the only exposed surface is a 2" blade. It's not so strongly curved that you can't stab with it, but lends itself to psychologically debilitating slashes to the face and soft body parts. Probably the best defensive knife for your buck, but very difficult to find these days, though S&W knives (Made by Taylor Cutlery) and CRKT both have cheap knockoffs that are decent.

Another good choice is the similarly styled Hideaway Knife or Brous Knives Silent Soldier. The latter is more available, the former has some business and customer service issues, so it may be best to get one from a dealer. Also, the former has to be sized to fit your fingers.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Links