Why? - Page 2

Why?

This is a discussion on Why? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In case I need to cut something......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Why?

In case I need to cut something...
    Old School likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

From my understanding a grown person can close a 10ft gap in secound, in secounds of pulling out your weapon they are on you. Do you want to have your gun pointing down when they get on top of you or your blade sticking up when they do (they fall on either the knife will hurt more)

I carry a knife now cause I cant carry a gun (havnt bought a pistol yet) but I still plan to carry a knife CQC is easier with a knife then a pistol if you can make a larger gap I would agree in pulling out your pistol.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    ... the answer is easy.
    Could you elaborate?

Everything I carry doesn't have to have only a primary purpose. My knife is for purposes primarily other than self defense like others have said for other day to day choirs. Now with that in mind, if my handgun goes away then the knife starts looking like a back up self defense weapon just as having car keys in hand would make a great eye remover in a self defense situation although not their normal purpose.

Use what you have at hand.
    Spade115 likes this.

Besides a knife I carry a strong ball point pen. I can write with it and use it to stab also. Don't get hung up on one tool.
    Semper Fi
    Majorlk and Hoganbeg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by a__l__a__n View Post
    Could you elaborate?
    You can apply downward force on your weapon with the strong side hand, and access a knife in the off side pocket to get the attacker off the gun. A tactical knife should be carried in the pocket opposite the carry side.

We have two hands, and both should be utilized.

In a fight, the unskilled opponent will give away his inexperience in the attack. A great example of this is the lapel grab, used by a bully when he grabs someone by the collar with both hands. He is tying up both of his hands, ( weapons), and leaving the one being grabbed many weapons to use , ( 2 fists, elbows, knees, feet , ect).

Likewise, it's the same principle for all applications of SD.
    With the knife carried on the weak side, firearm on the strong side, either weapon needed can be independently accessed with each arm. This is street fighting 101.
    Recognize the attack;Neutralize it;Redirect and annihilate.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Administrator
    There are numerous possible scenarios where you may need an edged weapon in a deadly confrontation.
    You should carry a knife clipped in a front pocket location and learn how to deploy it quickly.
    I'm not going to "get into it all" in a DC forum post (and it wouldn't help much anyway) but, suffice to say (for now) that no future confrontation will go exactly as you have envisioned it or how you have imagined it. You can take that to the bank.
    If you want me to run through a list of possible scenarios where you may need a rapidly presented knife, I will.
    Right now I'm about "typed out" for the day but, watch the VID below for one proper defensive edged weapon location & presentation.
    That will serve as a rudimentary start.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I carry a knife beacuse I cant carry a firearm. It serves a useful purpose as a cutting instrument whether it be people or non-living objects.

I have responded to numerous vehicle accidents and have always been prepared to cut a person out of their seatbelt when needed. My most recent knife purchase has a carbide glass breaker tip on the bottom.

There are many reasons to carry a knife and it is 100% personal preference.
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    You can apply downward force on your weapon with the strong side hand, and access a knife in the off side pocket to get the attacker off the gun. A tactical knife should be carried in the pocket opposite the carry side.

We have two hands, and both should be utilized.

In a fight, the unskilled opponent will give away his inexperience in the attack. A great example of this is the lapel grab, used by a bully when he grabs someone by the collar with both hands. He is tying up both of his hands, ( weapons), and leaving the one being grabbed many weapons to use , ( 2 fists, elbows, knees, feet , ect).

Likewise, it's the same principle for all applications of SD.
    With the knife carried on the weak side, firearm on the strong side, either weapon needed can be independently accessed with each arm. This is street fighting 101.
    Recognize the attack;Neutralize it;Redirect and annihilate.
    Thanks that helps. One more followup question: Is there an advantage to the weak side weapon being a knife rather than a BUG?

In the cases I've heard about where a civilian successfully defended themselves with a concealed weapon, none of them involved use of a knife. I'm just wondering whether it makes sense for the average civilian (man or woman) to carry a knife rather than a BUG.

Quote Originally Posted by a__l__a__n View Post
    In the cases I've heard about where a civilian successfully defended themselves with a concealed weapon, none of them involved use of a knife. I'm just wondering whether it makes sense for the average civilian (man or woman) to carry a knife rather than a BUG.
    - Are you talking about not carrying a knife at all? If so, I'd rather carry a knife than a back up gun, simply for utilitarian uses. My wife didn't find it necessary to carry a knife with her since she didn't use it that often. When this tragedy happened, she started carrying a knife.

Lack of knife at the scene of an accident cost life

Because sometimes all you can have is a knife, and it's a handy tool to have
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

The BUG vs a knife is totally up to the percieved needs of the user.personally I prefer the utility versatility of a knife rather than putting all my eggs in one basket.

Bullets just don't work well for all things.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    A gun is hard to open boxes, cut streamers, use as a prybar,screwdriver or jack staples out of paper.

Its also difficult to clean underneath my fingernails with my HK.
    ROFL!!!!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Good lord, this question. Aside from the fact that I use it for many things daily as a tool, it is only five inches long and fits nicely in my pocket and has no felt weight. It is there IF I EVER NEED IT. Simple as that, end of story. Hell yes I am reaching for my gun in a situation, but why would I not carry something that can be a last ditch weapon and has a bazillion uses and causes no fatigue to carry?
    Amen, Brother. I carry two knives; a multi-function Swiss Army Knife (with Phillips and straight screwdriver blades) for most things and a Kershaw Blur for when the SAK isn't big enough. They are always on me, whether I am carrying a firearm or not.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Keep in mind that a blade is often considered a deadly force weapon just like the gun, so knife carry does not satisfy the need for a less-lethal stand-off option like pepper spray. However an unopened a knife remains useful as an impact device similar to a Kubotan. Use it against the back of the hand, wrist, elbow, collar bone, base of the throat, eyes, temple, solar plexus- I could go on but you get the idea.

One more thing. Guns, knives, sticks, everything we carry are all just tools. The true weapon is your mind. If you understand the weak points of the human body, and the weaknesses inherent in various methods of attack nearly anything can be made to serve your needs.
    Spade115 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links