Why?

This is a discussion on Why? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like hoganbeg's post, Because as a backup (Just for EXTREME) a stainless steel pen can be used as a kubotan or knife/spike depending on ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Why?

I like hoganbeg's post, Because as a backup (Just for EXTREME) a stainless steel pen can be used as a kubotan or knife/spike depending on the circumstances as well.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

2. Remove Ads

TOF
    You need a knife with which to cut the bonds of the beautiful maiden you just rescued from a fait worse than death.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Take a self defense class like Krav Maga and you will see how formidable a knife can be as a self defense tool in a close combat situation. I would rather deal with someone with a gun in a CQB than a knife. YMMV.

VIP Member
    I've finally gotten around to reading "Little Black Book of Violence." (I think ATCTimmy recommended it.) The author claims 70% of males carry a knife.

A knife is a very very effective and terrifying weapon to face, even if you have a gun. Even if you have two guns. Only the most drunk, drug crazed and insane will stick around for a knife fight.

You've got to get away or disarm. Without a baton or cane or similar, and some pretty good reflexes, you'll get badly hurt. Its not much of a victory if you put a .45 in the chest and simultaneously he buries a 5 incher in yours.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Because I have carried one every day for over 20 years. That habit is not getting broken any time soon. I have moved from the old timer pocket knife to the Gerber FAST though.

I just bought my wife a Spyderco Dragonfly. She absolutely loves it. The main purpose for that knife is as a last ditch weapon. She asked for it, so I assume and believe she is willing to use it. She can't carry a gun most days, and we don't have one she wants to carry right now. She has pepper spray too but felt the need to get a good knife. We are working on getting a handgun she can comfortably carry. But even then, she will not be able to take it some places. So a knife it is.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The BUG vs a knife is totally up to the percieved needs of the user.personally I prefer the utility versatility of a knife rather than putting all my eggs in one basket.

Bullets just don't work well for all things.
    Why can't one carry both a knife and a 2nd gun?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Good lord, this question. Aside from the fact that I use it for many things daily as a tool, it is only five inches long and fits nicely in my pocket and has no felt weight. It is there IF I EVER NEED IT. Simple as that, end of story. Hell yes I am reaching for my gun in a situation, but why would I not carry something that can be a last ditch weapon and has a bazillion uses and causes no fatigue to carry?
    What more can I say, I agree!!
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I've carried a knife of one type or another for 59 or 60 years, or longer! Back when I went to school, a knife was a tool that just about every boy carried in his jeans pocket and nobody thought anything of it! Now, some schools won't even let kids have plastic "silverware" knives in their lunch boxes! Heck of a "nanny state" world we now live in! But anyway, as others have said, I can carry a knife places where I can't carry a gun, I use it for multiple purposes, and it is just another of several self defence tools I have available to me. I feel more "naked" without a knife than I do without a gun! And a lot of times I'm carrying more than one.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    I've carried a knife of one type or another for 59 or 60 years, or longer! Back when I went to school, a knife was a tool that just about every boy carried in his jeans pocket and nobody thought anything of it! Now, some schools won't even let kids have plastic "silverware" knives in their lunch boxes! Heck of a "nanny state" world we now live in! But anyway, as others have said, I can carry a knife places where I can't carry a gun, I use it for multiple purposes, and it is just another of several self defence tools I have available to me. I feel more "naked" without a knife than I do without a gun! And a lot of times I'm carrying more than one.
    And with the teachers sort of looking the other way we'd go across the street to a vacant lot and throw them. It is so different today and I am not happy about it.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    To cut things or BG's if needed...
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Ever man around here carries a knife, just cause we carry a knife, kinda like a shirt pocket....guessing if i had to use it as a weapon i could, but might be difficult to load in the barrel.....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Unless you're some kind of superhero, you're not going to be able to outdraw someone who has the drop on you, especially if they're trying to grab your gun, or they're attacking you with some sort of contact weapon. In contact distance, a knife is almost always a better alternative to a gun.
    mlr1m likes this.

+1 on all the good reasons above and let me add, if not stated, if you go somewhere where a gun is not permitted you still have your knife. in a situation where a gun is not needed a knife can be used for restricting the mobility of the attacker, i.e. forearm cuts, tricep cuts and so on. Check out Mike Janich's MBC for more info.

This is my first post here in a thread, this seems like a good place to start.

Just like anything else, what can be done with a knife is dependent on the skill level of the user. As stated before knives are good for carry in NPE's and as backups to a pistol. A folder can be drawn, opened and palmed covertly. If there is a need, the knife is already in the hand and ready to use. If not, the knife can be returned to the pocket with nobody the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by a__l__a__n View Post
    Why would I ever choose to use the knife instead of the gun?
    Looking at the bold part of your question, since it is the key part of your concern, my answer would have to be:

You might choose the knife instead of a gun because the knife could be -
    Quieter
    More easily concealed
    Able to be carried where a gun might not

But the other answer might be -

I would not carry a knife instead of a gun....I'd carry both!
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links