Why?

This is a discussion on Why? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not all of life's emergencies are defensive in nature. Some of those emergencies can be handled with a stout blade, so I like to carry ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Why?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Not all of life's emergencies are defensive in nature. Some of those emergencies can be handled with a stout blade, so I like to carry a stout blade, all of the time. (An example would be that promising young violinist whose violin case strap was caught in a subway door. Another example would be a rider entangled and being dragged by a panicked horse.) If, during a moment in time, during a life-or-death fight for my life, it is more feasible or sensible or expedient to deploy the knife than a gun, well, then that is when I would use a knife instead of a gun.

I sought blade training, because I wanted to better understand how to survive when a knife might be used against me. Having received that training, why waste it, if, during a moment in time, it is more feasible/sensible/expedient to reach the blade than the gun?

If I know a deadly fight is going to happen, and I cannot make an appointment to be elsewhere, I want a rifle or shotgun in my hands. If that is not possible, well, I will settle for a handgun. If the deadly fight happens so suddenly I cannot have even a handgun already in my hands, I will fight with what I can best grab at that moment in time.

I do usually carry more than one handgun, but I also think beyond the guns.

FWIW, I am not a fan of pepper spray for most foreseeable circumstances. Don't even get me started on Tasers. (I am mandated to wear a Taser on my duty belt.)
    Copperjacket likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Not all of life's emergencies are defensive in nature. Some of those emergencies can be handled with a stout blade, so I like to carry a stout blade, all of the time. (An example would be that promising young violinist whose violin case strap was caught in a subway door. Another example would be a rider entangled and being dragged by a panicked horse.) If, during a moment in time, during a life-or-death fight for my life, it is more feasible or sensible or expedient to deploy the knife than a gun, well, then that is when I would use a knife instead of a gun.
    Know I am the "new guy" hereabouts but this is sort of my feelings on this subject. Just because the site is Defensive Carry as the OP pointed out doesn't mean that the only definition intended is strictly SELF defense or, in my case, only defense from human type predators. All pepper spray is good for when used on 200+ lb Texas hogs is adding seasoning to the USER. My point is that not ALL defensive situations is self interest or of strictly human on human contact. A knife on hand, like many others stated, both serve an utility purpose AND a defensive one.
    The nice thing is that 99.9% of us never even so much as witness a purse snatcher run by us much less get directly involved in a truly self defense incident. All we all can do is be prepared and train with what weapon(s) suit us each personally and pray we never get put in that scenario to be "tested".
    Just my humble 2 pennies of course...

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    A gun is hard to open boxes, cut streamers, use as a prybar,screwdriver or jack staples out of paper.

Its also difficult to clean underneath my fingernails with my HK.
    It's also hard to stab somebody in the throat with a revolver. But I digress.
    Spade115 likes this.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Everything I carry doesn't have to have only a primary purpose. My knife is for purposes primarily other than self defense like others have said for other day to day choirs. Now with that in mind, if my handgun goes away then the knife starts looking like a back up self defense weapon just as having car keys in hand would make a great eye remover in a self defense situation although not their normal purpose.

Use what you have at hand.
    What has gospel music ever done to you, you horrible horrible person?!?!?!?!?! :)
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links