Why?

This is a discussion on Why? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I totally get the need for self defense. I carry a handgun (or two). I carry pepper spray. But I just don't understand the mindset ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Why?

Why?

I totally get the need for self defense. I carry a handgun (or two). I carry pepper spray. But I just don't understand the mindset of carrying a knife. If I have to resort to lethal means, I can use the handgun. Why would I ever choose to use the knife instead of the gun?

2. Remove Ads

I carry a knife as a tool

Same reason a carpenter can shape wood with more than just a saw.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    A gun is hard to open boxes, cut streamers, use as a prybar,screwdriver or jack staples out of paper.

Its also difficult to clean underneath my fingernails with my HK.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Because sometimes you go places you can't carry a gun so a knife is a useful self defense tool. Also all the reasons stated above. Lol

A skilled knifesman is formidable but,,,,that ain't me. My knife is for whittlin'.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    A skilled knifesman is formidable but,,,,that ain't me. My knife is for whittlin'.
    Me too. It goes in my pocket with the car keys & chapstick.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Me too. It goes in my pocket with the car keys & chapstick.
    Yup part of the standard carry

JD
    Administrator
    Semi autos may not function well at contact distance and nothing says get the hell off me like a stab to the torso or 5.

If ever fighting for control of the gun pepper spray my not work as desired as cross contamination is quite possible.

Knives don't run out of bullets.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    A gun is hard to open boxes, cut streamers, use as a prybar,screwdriver or jack staples out of paper.

Its also difficult to clean underneath my fingernails with my HK.

Hahahah! I was going to say the exact same thing. I use my knife for ALL of those things! My fingernails are probably what I use it on most!
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Within a foot I'm better with a knife, and honestly they are great tools to have on you.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I carry a knife as a tool
    Ok.... but the title of this forum section is "Defensive knives and other weapons".

I don't see the difference between a struggle for a gun and a struggle for a knife. If I'm in a struggle for my gun, am I going to take my hand off the gun so I can reach for my knife??? If so I may as well reach for my BUG instead.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Good lord, this question. Aside from the fact that I use it for many things daily as a tool, it is only five inches long and fits nicely in my pocket and has no felt weight. It is there IF I EVER NEED IT. Simple as that, end of story. Hell yes I am reaching for my gun in a situation, but why would I not carry something that can be a last ditch weapon and has a bazillion uses and causes no fatigue to carry?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by a__l__a__n View Post
    I totally get the need for self defense. I carry a handgun (or two). I carry pepper spray. But I just don't understand the mindset of carrying a knife. If I have to resort to lethal means, I can use the handgun. Why would I ever choose to use the knife instead of the gun?
    My knife is a tool, which could be pressed into SD use as a last resort. I think carrying a knife makes more sense than pepper spray, because I use my knife for a myriad of menial tasks on a daily basis.

But, if someone gets the jump on you, knocks you down, and is on top of you while going for your gun. It would be relatively easy to keep using your strong hand for weapon retention, and pull some sort of assisted opening folder from your weakside pocket to defend yourself with.

Granted, I could keep a BUG in my off side pocket, but I don't feel the need.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If you have ever had a weapons retention class, the answer is easy. Carrying a firearm, especially in the open without weapons retention training is like jumping out of a Plane with no parachute.
    sgb likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links