Best Tactical pen I've found so far (review)

This is a discussion on Best Tactical pen I've found so far (review) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've wanted to get a tactial pen, but the big price, overly tactical look and screw off caps of most of them have always kept ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SnareMan
  • 1 Post By AOK

Thread: Best Tactical pen I've found so far (review)

I've wanted to get a tactial pen, but the big price, overly tactical look and screw off caps of most of them have always kept me away. Then I came across this United Cutlery pen which meets all of those criteria. You can't go wrong for $17.

AOK likes this.

I have one of these and it's not bad for all the reason stated. As a long time catalog junkie, my observation is that the large majority of stuff in the United Cutlery catalog is junk. It's almost as bad as the Bud K garbage. But, there can be a silver lining in any cloud and this pen, for the money, is pretty cool. I've been through TSA on 8 different flights with this pen either in my carry on or just clipped i my pocket or portfolio. They look at it, go right past it and don't seem to care!
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Quote Originally Posted by Brademan View Post
    I have one of these and it's not bad for all the reason stated. As a long time catalog junkie, my observation is that the large majority of stuff in the United Cutlery catalog is junk. It's almost as bad as the Bud K garbage. But, there can be a silver lining in any cloud and this pen, for the money, is pretty cool. I've been through TSA on 8 different flights with this pen either in my carry on or just clipped i my pocket or portfolio. They look at it, go right past it and don't seem to care!
    Thanks for the TSA experience. It came a day late to try it on my flight yesterday.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by SnareMan View Post
    I've wanted to get a tactial pen, but the big price, overly tactical look and screw off caps of most of them have always kept me away. Then I came across this United Cutlery pen which meets all of those criteria. You can't go wrong for $17.
    Thanks for the review. I ended up picking up a couple on Amazon this morning for $9.XX each. This is more along the lines of something I have been looking for good price, sturdy, unassuming, and functional.

Well, if the right TSA person sees it, (i.e., one who knows it's "tactical") don't be surprised if you lose it. At that Amazon price, not a big deal, but I was reminded of this other thread: Ultimate Ghetto "Tactical Pen" - Modded Zebra F701

So what is this pen capable of doing for $9.00.............?

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    So what is this pen capable of doing for $9.00.............?
    It's not what the pen is capable of doing, it's what the individual is capable of doing with the pen.
    Brademan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    It's not what the pen is capable of doing, it's what the individual is capable of doing with the pen.
    Exact-a-mundo!

Regarding the earlier thought about the TSA people who might 'know it's tactical'...I ran into a TSA guy at the Pittsburgh airport who actually looked at the stuff I tossed in the tray and reached out and touched the pen. I thought he was going to grab it and move me out of the line for a conversation for a moment, but he just looked up at me for a second and said, "Have a good trip."
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Because we all know, stabbing someone with a pen doesn't work unless its a tactical pen and not a simple Bic pen.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Because we all know, stabbing someone with a pen doesn't work unless its a tactical pen and not a simple Bic pen.
    This is true. A bic is flimsy and could snap. This looks like it will reach what you intend.

Links