KA-BAR TDI Law Enforcement Knife - a potential life saver!

This is a discussion on KA-BAR TDI Law Enforcement Knife - a potential life saver! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently picked up a KA-BAR TDI Law Enforcement Knife and was out at TDI (Tactical Defense Institute) and got some instruction on it from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: KA-BAR TDI Law Enforcement Knife - a potential life saver!

I recently picked up a KA-BAR TDI Law Enforcement Knife and was out at TDI (Tactical Defense Institute) and got some instruction on it from the designer of it - John Benner. Its a nice like EDC defensive knife worn on your non-dominant side. Its super fast to deploy compared to a folder. We even got to practice with it stabbing some flesh (spoiled deer) to see how it works against flesh and overlying clothes. I made a little video review of it.

wmhawth likes this.

Great review. I love mine.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Great review. I love mine.
    Thanks!

Nice review! I love my TDI knife but not the sheath. Of course I am not using under a duty belt as it was intended to be.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Administrator
    Sorry. None for me thanks.
    Nothing personal but, I'd pass and stick with a straight blade assisted opening folder located & clipped in the support side front pocket.
    There are valid time proved reasons why knives have historically looked the way they have looked for the past (how many?) thousands of years and did not share the same profile as bent boomerangs and broken bananas.

I subscribe to the "To Each Cat His Own Rat" philosophy so...if it floats your boat then go for it but, I'm not biting on it.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    When worn as many LEOs do, it surely seems vulnerable to being snatched, which is exactly what happened to an Austin PD officer a year or two ago, about this time of year. The felon drew the officer's knife, and stabbed the officer in the neck. The officer very nearly bled out. "Weapon retention" STARTS with retaining one's weapons, meaning ALL of one's weapons. To be clear, I am not knocking the TDI itself, just the way it is popularly worn, and I have seen quite a few fellow LEOs wearing them. Officers with my PD are not allowed to wear knives that are visible; knives must be concealed, but neighboring agencies use our breath test and video facilities, and the TDI seems quite popular in our region.

Interesting video. I wondered as well about retention. It's made me start keeping my assisted folder on the left instead of strong side. More practice needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    When worn as many LEOs do, it surely seems vulnerable to being snatched, which is exactly what happened to an Austin PD officer a year or two ago, about this time of year. The felon drew the officer's knife, and stabbed the officer in the neck. The officer very nearly bled out. "Weapon retention" STARTS with retaining one's weapons, meaning ALL of one's weapons. To be clear, I am not knocking the TDI itself, just the way it is popularly worn, and I have seen quite a few fellow LEOs wearing them. Officers with my PD are not allowed to wear knives that are visible; knives must be concealed, but neighboring agencies use our breath test and video facilities, and the TDI seems quite popular in our region.
    It is a possibility. Apparently, one of the reasons that the blade fans out so much is so it won't go through an officer's vest, I presume in this type of situation. Obviously this doesn't help if you get stabbed in the neck though.

Of course, anyone that wants the word from the man can call TDI. John Benner usually answers the phone (I don't think I've ever had anyone else answer there) and he could fill you in and answer any questions you might have. I have no affiliation with them other than being a very satisfied student.

Nice vid...great knife...I do like mine!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Let me start out by saying that if you own one and you like it..."Great" - I just don't see how it is in any way advantageous in use over a traditional pocket clipped support side assisted folder. With a disadvantage of it being more readily accessible to a lone attacker or especially multiple attackers.
    And possibly (only speaking for myself) an odd & unnatural way to hold and defend self w/ a knife.

There are real advantages to that blade profile in a machete sized knife w/ regard to the ability to hack through flesh AND bone.
    I'm aware of that. I'm just (not at all) sold on the viability of a radically scaled down version.

I have a very long history with working and fighting knives. I remember that the very first smallish knife that I ever saw in that configuration was a custom built novelty/fantasy knife at a blade show. Then at some point later came the onslaught of kerambit knives and the rather feeble attempt to build a workable knife fighting genre around the knife.
    I wasn't sold on it back then and I'm still not but, if it's working for whomever owns one then I'm fine with it for anybody else...that isn't me.

I honestly believe that it's "more natural" for some folks to grip and use a knife styled like that more than others.

My Wife would probably be quite "at home" using a knife profiled like that but, it would never work for me.

So...I'm glad we live in America where we have thousands of various knives to choose from and we can all shop around and find our ideal self-defensive carry blade.

VIP Member
    I carried one of these for years and it worked well.

I wore it on my inner belt then once I put on my duty belt the handle sat behind my mag pouch. Unless you really looked close you never noticed it. I also carried the knife with the handle forward as I train fighting with an inverted grip.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Let me start out by saying that if you own one and you like it..."Great" - I just don't see how it is in any way advantageous in use over a traditional pocket clipped support side assisted folder. With a disadvantage of it being more readily accessible to a lone attacker or especially multiple attackers.
    And possibly (only speaking for myself) an odd & unnatural way to hold and defend self w/ a knife.

There are real advantages to that blade profile in a machete sized knife w/ regard to the ability to hack through flesh AND bone.
    I'm aware of that. I'm just (not at all) sold on the viability of a radically scaled down version.

I have a very long history with working and fighting knives. I remember that the very first smallish knife that I ever saw in that configuration was a custom built novelty/fantasy knife at a blade show. Then at some point later came the onslaught of kerambit knives and the rather feeble attempt to build a workable knife fighting genre around the knife.
    I wasn't sold on it back then and I'm still not but, if it's working for whomever owns one then I'm fine with it for anybody else...that isn't me.

I honestly believe that it's "more natural" for some folks to grip and use a knife styled like that more than others.

My Wife would probably be quite "at home" using a knife profiled like that but, it would never work for me.

So...I'm glad we live in America where we have thousands of various knives to choose from and we can all shop around and find our ideal self-defensive carry blade.
    I am by no means any form of authority here and you seem to have far more experience with knives than I do. I've tried getting a knife open with my non-dominant hand. Its hard enough standing in my room and darn near impossible under pressure, even fake self imposed pressure in a fake fight when fine motor control goes out the window. I haven't tried it with one of my assisted openers, but still think it'd be a challenge under pressure. That's where I'd think a fixed blade like this would come to be handy. The draw is crazy fast and requires no motor skills. True its a small knife and not ideal for putting up a big defense from multiple attackers, but I think it was more developed as a weapon retention knife as I show in the vid and could see it working well in that capacity.

Love mine, carry it IWB at 5 o'clock as I carry my firearm at 1230-1 o'clock and a phone at 3 o'clock. It works well. Everything concealed and trained with regularly.

August 19, 1970 - June 2012
    Great vid. I'm a huge fan of TDI, both the school and the knife. I run my TDI in a slightly different manner using an aftermarket sheath made by Infight Access Kydex.
    TDI IAK.jpg

When I did run it 'TDI style', I used one an IWB sheath made by FIN Design.

Here's an article I wrote awhile back on the Virtues Of the Small Fixed Blade.

This video is scary. Knife slashes at the camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links