Cold steel good edc?

This is a discussion on Cold steel good edc? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Voyager series of Cold Steel blades is awesome and is offered at a very reasonable price as was stated above. In fact I like ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold steel good edc?

The Voyager series of Cold Steel blades is awesome and is offered at a very reasonable price as was stated above. In fact I like Cold Steel products so much that I gave away or sold my other knives. Two other favorites of mine are the Gurkha Kukri (not the machete) and the Recon Tanto.

2. Remove Ads

I'm kind of a knife nut myself but for some reason I never really cared much for Cold Steel. Some of their knives look a little too "ultra-tactical" for my taste. I also try to stay away from knives made in China or Taiwan (I believe the Spartan is made in Taiwan). The AUS-8 blade it uses is actually pretty decent but there a lot of better steels out there.

For a knife similar in size and shape, may I suggest the Super Commander by Emerson Knives? It utilizes the same "wave" instant opening feature as the Spartan and you get an upgrade in materials such as 154-CM steel and G10 handle scales. Its made right here in the USA too if that matters to you.

Anyway, here's a quick photo of mine:

Many believe the CS triad lock is the strongest lock available. Check the youtube videos for examples of some of the abuse people are subjecting them to (including batoning).

Having said that, for 'normal' EDC tasks just about any quality knife should give you a lifetime of good service.

If anyone hasn't already done so, watch the "Proof" videos on Cold Steel's website. It will make a believer out of you regarding Cold Steel products if you haven't owned them previously!
    Last edited by Fnfalguy; September 12th, 2012 at 09:50 PM.

Distinguished Member
    CS knives are an exceptional value and with such a variety of styles and sizes, they've got something to fit most needs (and budgets).
    I keep a Recon-1 in my EDC bag (original Maxpedition FatBoy) and a Holdout in pocket. Very durable, quick & easy to deploy and if they were to get lost or broken, very inexpensive to replace :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I'm not so sure Cold Steel knives are as good as Cold Steel marketing. Don't misunderstand, I OWN some of them. Yet IMHO they're more of a value-priced product (okay bought at wholesale) than they are high-end gear. (Dang, I sound like a knife-snob. I'm not. I, uh...hope)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnfalguy View Post
    If anyone hasn't already done so, watch the "Proof" videos on Cold Steel's website. It will make a believer out of you regarding Cold Steel products if you haven't owned them previously!
    - I own several Cold Steel knives. The problem with their proof videos is that nothing can change the fact that they use AUS8 steel with questionable heat treating. None of the CS knives I've own held an edge for very long at all. I was constantly sharpening them after any kind of medium use.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

RKM
    I own two Cold Steels. I'm not very impressed. Mainly that fact that they use AUS 8. It's undoubtedly the reason they can keep cost down. I have no doubt they're a durable knife as far as lock up and abuse goes, but they won't hold an edge worth a crap due to the use of AUS 8. I dulled my mini ak47 just using it for dinner one evening.

I have possessed this item for six several weeks now and have taken it everyday as a individual defense/EDC knife together with my Glock 27.

I've got a a Cold Steel SRK San Mai III. Very versatile little number, it's meant to have been designed to withstand extreme abuse, though to be honest I've not really done anything too strenuous with the thing yet, despite it saying that I still don't want to go too wild with it! Any other tactical knives people tend to go for? I prefer to go in-store than shop online, you get to have a good feel for what you're about to spend your hard earned money on. I've been here for Tactical Knives but can anyone else shed some light on some other good outlets?

I have a CS push knife. Quality made
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links