19 y/o looking for the right thing to carry.

This is a discussion on 19 y/o looking for the right thing to carry. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you were held in a cell waiting for your parents to pick you up, and were not formally charged with anything, you were not ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 19 y/o looking for the right thing to carry.

If you were held in a cell waiting for your parents to pick you up, and were not formally charged with anything, you were not in "Jail". You were in a holding cell. Don't tell people you were in jail, unless you were charged, found guilty in a court of law and sentenced to "Jail"! Sounds like you are trying to do the right thing, all it takes is one "Good" choice after another, and stay away from any "Bad" choices. Things will turn around in your favor if you keep at it.

Oh, and welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If you were held in a cell waiting for your parents to pick you up, and were not formally charged with anything, you were not in "Jail". You were in a holding cell. Don't tell people you were in jail, unless you were charged, found guilty in a court of law and sentenced to "Jail"! Sounds like you are trying to do the right thing, all it takes is one "Good" choice after another, and stay away from any "Bad" choices. Things will turn around in your favor if you keep at it.

Oh, and welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware!
    Good point, I always just assumed the place I was taken was jail. It wasn't in the police station, that's why I thought it was jail.

Anyway, I definitely agree it's time for me to "grow up". That's why I was making this post, because if I wanted to not grow up I would have already tried to take care of this situation myself. I have to grow up though, learn to hold my tongue and look for the high ground. Most people around here that find out my "history" tend to judge me EXTREMELY quickly, and all of you have actually offered me good advice instead of just reminding me of the bad choices I've made. I appreciate that tenfold.

It's much easier to talk about these things when I'm not looking over my shoulder, and talking about it with people that actually want to help me instead of 1. are people that encourage fighting (many of my friends, sadly) or 2. think I'm trying to cause trouble when I'm (hopefully) obviously trying to better myself.

Thank you for all the welcomes too, I wanted to jump right into posting here so I could start learning laws/what to do/get advice rather than browse the forums :).

AOK
    I've taken my share of self defense classes over the last few years including firearms, edged weapons, and Krav. If I was your age knowing what I know now I would get some form of hand-to-hand training if you the time and money. However, based on what I have read from your posts there is one saying that I first read from John Farnam and have heard it numerous times in different classes that comes to mind. It is basically 1. Don't go to stupid places, 2. Don't hang out with stupid people, and 3. Don't do stupid things. Some people like to add a fourth of don't be out at stupid times. IMHO, the more of these rules you don't follow, the more trouble will find you.

AOK
    Oh and I'd also like to add, please don't count on rings detering an assailant from attacking. It's a terrible idea for those who legally carry firearms and think just by showing their gun their problems will likely be solved let alone the fact that you have some rings on your fingers. Be very careful from whom you take advice from!

Rings can be pretty useful in a fight. I have the dental bills to prove it.

Good advice from everyone else.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Rings can be pretty useful in a fight. I have the dental bills to prove it.

Good advice from everyone else.
    I'm not doubting they can be, but in no way should they be counted on to "deter" someone from attacking you which is what he asked.

The "be careful who you take advice from" comment by me was regarding his friend. I agree, there has been a lot of great advise in this thread.

True...I have 2 very meaningful ones. One I got when I stayed in England for a month, and the other is from my grandfather which has a fairly large ruby in the center of it.

I'm also scared someone would try to steal that ring from me =\. I love it, and having it on my hand means the world to me. When he died I was devastated and I was named after him, and we share the same birth month (July=Ruby)...but it's very expensive. It's a real ruby.

I love those two, but those are the only two I really need. I will probably continue wearing those at least. Thank you all for the help, I seriously appreciate it.

P.S. Instead of deter, would rings be able to help me if someone wanted to fight me? Not in the sense I'm getting jumped, but that I know the person is coming. I don't think they would be able to help if I got jumped.

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I'm not doubting they can be, but in no way should they be counted on to "deter" someone from attacking you which is what he asked.
    In life, what can really be counted on?

They could possibly act as a deterrence.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    In life, what can really be counted on?

They could possibly act as a deterrence.
    I can 100% count on what I believe is having the proper mindset prior to a life/death confrontation or one that may cause great bodily harm. IMHO, thinking something such as the racking of shotgun, brandishing of a firearm, or in this case rings on his fingers could possibly act as a deterrence is a poor mental approach. Again, just my opinion and nothing more than that.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobwayne17 View Post

P.S. Instead of deter, would rings be able to help me if someone wanted to fight me? Not in the sense I'm getting jumped, but that I know the person is coming. I don't think they would be able to help if I got jumped.
    Just ask to see Cold Shot's dental bill. Apparently that will give you your answer. ;-)

In all honesty I believe the tools effectiveness is usually determined by the user and how well they are able to apply the tool in a self defense situation. If you are able to land good strikes into somones face, then yes, it could be an effective tool to cause more damage.

Spray is a stand off defensive weapon, kubatons are impact weapons. One can keep someone at a distance, the other you'll need to be able to touch them to use. Something to think about.

On the bright side, you sound like a kid I worked with as a counselor. He was 13 when he came to us. Pissed off, bad grades in school, drugs, not listening to his parents. He spent a few years with us. He had a rough transition home, I talked to him off and on. I lost track of him for quite some time. Once we got back in touch I found out he was a Marine with several tours of Afghanistan under his belt, married with a couple of kids. Just telling you this to let you know there's light at the end of that tunnel if you work for it. Good luck.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

One thing you begin learning as you get older, nothing is black and white.... everything is just a different shade of gray. LOL.

Don't let what anyone else does, dictate what you do, you have to be in control of you and what you do. That's about the only thing any of us can try to control.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I commend your choice of joining the military as a means to better yourself but it's not a magic cure. You have to continue to make good choices. I too was a knuckle head when I was a teen. I too joined the Army as a means to grow up along with 3 other guys. About a year after I left for the Army my best friend from high school was sentenced to 8 years in prison. As for the 4 of us who joined the Army: 1 was kicked out of basic, 1 didn't make it out of AIT, the last one was court marshaled after 2 years. I was the only one to serve and receive an honorable discharge (would be getting dangerously close to retirement if my wife didn't hate being an Army wife so much, but that's another story). So from my experience, the military will either make you or break you, it will give you the tools you need to succeed but it's still up to you to use them. You sound like you are well on your way to growing up and putting your past behind you.

As for defensive tools, situational awareness, avoidance, a cell phone, and a Kimber Pepper Blaster should suffice. Also, even though you don't think there is anything to go to the police over, the fact that you are on here posting these questions tells me there is. Besides, a paper trail with the local PD can't hurt and the first one to report it usually gets to be the victim. Good luck and don't let anyone pressure you into ruining the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Spray is a stand off defensive weapon, kubatons are impact weapons. One can keep someone at a distance, the other you'll need to be able to touch them to use. Something to think about.

On the bright side, you sound like a kid I worked with as a counselor. He was 13 when he came to us. Pissed off, bad grades in school, drugs, not listening to his parents. He spent a few years with us. He had a rough transition home, I talked to him off and on. I lost track of him for quite some time. Once we got back in touch I found out he was a Marine with several tours of Afghanistan under his belt, married with a couple of kids. Just telling you this to let you know there's light at the end of that tunnel if you work for it. Good luck.
    haha! I'm sorry for my initial laughter, because that pretty much is how I was when I was 15-17. Seems like there is something at the end of the tunnel ;). All of your replies mean a lot to me! Like I said, I'm doing all I can to make sure my past doesn't stop me from achieving my goal of being in the Army, but if it does I'm in Crim Justice and ROTC...but I might switch to English, as I love to write :).

I can't stress enough how inspirational some of you guys are, as I believe my life has been less than easy in comparison to some people I know. Instead of falling into gangs, or jail, I am still here trying to be the best I can be. That book, a little black book to fighting, really changes the way I think about some things though.

I'm huge on reading/English, so if there is anything else you all can think of I'd be glad to look it up :).

When I was 15, I had horrible family problems in the sense of consistently running away/mouthing off to them. I felt like I was justified though, as my dad betrayed my family in the sense of cheating on my mom. I feel like a lot of kids with tough backgrounds have something that starts in the family, like me. I looked for a new family and the one I found was not one that would help me out in any situation, or help me live past the age of 18. Like I said, life hasn't be easy but I'm really trying to make some steps towards getting a better one now :).

Guns are the last thing he needs right now.

A change in behavior and attitude will do him a lot better.

If you don't want to deal with these people...don't go where these people hang out.

The library.
    Starbucks.
    Church.
    The gym.
    Book stores.

Which, incidentally, are all the places you will meet nicer people who will help you out in life now, and later.

Get out of your situation, get into the military, and go hang with cooler, nicer people. (That is, when they aren't making you run in the mud or crawl through a swamp...)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links