Defensive Carry banner

19 y/o looking for the right thing to carry.

5K views 45 replies 25 participants last post by  Gunsmoke16 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm a 19 y/o that lives in Pennsylvania (coming up on 20) and recent...developments in my life have put me at odds with a multitude of people. The kind of odds where if I walk around at night, I have to look over my shoulder to make sure I'm not about to get jumped. I don't live in a particularly bad part of town, and while I'm in Officer training for the Army people seem to think I'm "scrawny", even though I can bench about my own weight. I just don't "flash" my strength...I've gotten into a few fights, and I spent a few nights in prison (expunged) for bad choices when I was younger. I have been involved with the "wrong crowd" in chicago, but I want to better my life now. I don't want to resort to threatening someone, or being the person that makes the first move in a fight. I want to be a reactive combatant, if such a thing exists.

Sorry for drawling out my life story, but upon hearing that what would be best for me? I haven't researched gun laws at all, and I don't know how easy/hard it would be for me to carry. I really, really am in fear now. Not enough that I could bring anything to the police, but enough that if something happened to me my close friends would know why.

I've been in fights where knives where drawn, I have used "brass knuckles" (which are illegal so out of the question, but I didn't know what when I carried them...the stupidity of youth), but I've never done anything more than that.

I'm not sure if pepper/OC spray (I've done a little research) would be best for me though. I really need something that would make attackers stop attacking me. I've been thinking of a Kubotan...not sure if it will be enough though. Any help is greatly appreciated. I sincerely thank you.

See less See more
#37 ·
My Bachelors degree was Crim Justice...and did AFROTC...I concur with Buckeye--CJ is a limiting degree. For me, it was a means to an end--a commission. Frankly, unless you are a Dr, lawyer, or engineer, the military really doesn't care what area of study for your BA/BS. The bean counters at Human Resources Command have their thoughts, but when it comes down to it, it's what your MOS/AFSC is, and what additional training beyond your basic school you can get, and how well you perform.

My Masters was in Organizational Leadership (an MBA without the math)...and I use the advanced lessons learned from the military and civilian industry every day.

At this point, I'd tell the OP to keep his nose clean and don't self-eliminate through bad decisions--yours or someone else's. You don't get extra points for winning the fight--the best fight you can win is the one you don't get into.

OP--PM me if you want to discuss off-line.

#38 ·
you sound incredibly just like I did when I was 19. (I am 28 now) I could write a ten page paper full of advice but things dont sink in as well on paper compaed to experiencing them on your own. That being said, I can offer some points to ponder:

"If you don't want a haircut, stay the heck out of the barbersop" That motto has saved my bacon more times than i'd care to admit. dont go into places you know are likely to temp you, or put you in a position to do something you dont want to. If something doesnt feel right about where you are, leave immediatley. dont frequent plces where your enemies ae likely to hang out. While you may think you are strong enough to withstand any temptation, its just better to stay away entirely. If you could get into serious trouble carrying weapons, just dont. If you sense a dangerous situation or that a fight could develop, LEAVE. There is no cowardice in this. Its the nature of survival. Fighting is only to be used when you have no other option. Any good self defense class will preach this.

Youve had some bad experiences and have accepted the fact that your attitude and your choices have brought you those consequences. Now you have the right attitude and a direction to follow. Dont get into the mindset that your issues are fixed. It can bring you a false sense of confidence and let some old habits slip back in. Its been a very long 9 years since I got into trouble and I stll have to keep some things about my nature in check. I had a choice to go to prison, or participate in a 6 month intensive confinement program designed to be similar to a boot camp environment. While that program gave me the tools i needed to succeed, I didnt walk out those gates completely rehabilitated. I had to face some very ugly truths about myself and tackle he issues one by one. It takes time to completely change.

My advice for weapons of self defense would be a good folding knife (makes a useful tool as well), a good pair of running shoes, a flashlight, pepper spray. The most valuable tool you can bring with you is a sharp mind. Keeping aware of your suroundings and staying away from potentially dangerous situations will save your life and avoid a career damaging altercation.

#39 ·
Depends on your extent of your past... I dont think age should be a factor... Im 18 and I have my CCW permit. All depends on your level of maturity(think thats how you spell it xD). When I applied for mine they didnt deny me one because of my age, I got mine three days later, thats just how MT works I dont know about your state. Look at your state laws, if you meet the critera and you understand the responsibility of carrying a concealed gun, I dont see a problem. Also look into knives, spray etc...

#40 ·
Montana is extremely unusual on the age issue, if not unique. That issue aside, he can't have a gun till he is 21 where he presently resides. Besides, a gun is a lousy SD tool except when everything else has failed and your life is really in danger.

A folder is a deadly weapon. It means if he gets in a fight and uses it he faces much greater legal risk and longer jail time than if he put on his running shoes, used a fist, or used pepper, or better yet used the good brain G-d gave him to stay out of the situation in the first place. He needs to learn to live his life in a way that will keep him from needing those tools. And I think he understands that part very well.

I want everyone who participates here to know that I've been exchanging some private messages with our OP and I am impressed by him. I truly believe that he knows and understands what he needs to do and not do, and what his path is.

#43 ·
The strobe is a really important feature for disorienting, and the flashlight can if needed be used as a kubaton.

#46 ·
Don't mess up your life/career yet by getting involved in a gunfight-try to stay away from the bad areas and "survive" long enough to get out of there and into the Army, where hopefully you can get a better life and circumstances. You need something very bad and non-lethal. A large bottle of 15% or stronger OC/Pepper spray will clear the whole dang street. It hoses like a fire nozzle sprayer and works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.