Open-carry of a knife in Florida.

This is a discussion on Open-carry of a knife in Florida. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My name is Dan. I am 23 years old, have no criminal record, and have a license to carry concealed weapons. My question today, however, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open-carry of a knife in Florida.

My name is Dan. I am 23 years old, have no criminal record, and have a license to carry concealed weapons.

My question today, however, concerns open-carry. In most things I do a knife comes in handy, but I'm getting tired of having my knife take up valuable pocket space and always getting in the way of taking other things out of my pocket.

Is it legal in the state of Florida to open-carry a large-blade (4+ inches) knife, in a holster, attached to a belt?

I've searched through legal forums and Florida statue 790, but to be honest I simply can't wrap my head around all the legal nonsense long enough to find an answer to my question.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergreen View Post
    My name is Dan. I am 23 years old, have no criminal record, and have a license to carry concealed weapons.

My question today, however, concerns open-carry. In most things I do a knife comes in handy, but I'm getting tired of having my knife take up valuable pocket space and always getting in the way of taking other things out of my pocket.

Is it legal in the state of Florida to open-carry a large-blade (4+ inches) knife, in a holster, attached to a belt?

I've searched through legal forums and Florida statue 790, but to be honest I simply can't wrap my head around all the legal nonsense long enough to find an answer to my question.
    It has to be a fixed blade knife and carried in a sheath of some type.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    It has to be a fixed blade knife and carried in a sheath of some type.
    Right, it would be something like a hunting knife, definitely fixed. Are you sure that would be legal?

sgb
    State law does not prohibit the open carry of edged weapons however state preemption does not cover it either so one must beware of local ordinances in this regard.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't FL's weapon permit cover all weapons? Wouldn't that mean he could carry any knife he wanted, but it has to be concealed?

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure that concealed is the limiting factor here. He wants to wear it on his belt, which with the size of the knife will most likely mean out in the open.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Buy a knife you like and wear a light vest and carry it in the vest or buy a nice knife and a side saddle style holster on your bent so when your shirt covers it.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    If it was concealed then he would be pretty safe sadly, it would be local as in county and city that may kick in with it being open.

I've carried 4+ inch knives concealed before, and with only a tshirt. It takes a bit of work to find a iwb knife sheath.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

sgb
    Even under your CWFL state preemption does not cover weapons other than firearms. So while you're good do go as far as the state is concerned you can still run afoul of local ordinances.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Even under your CWFL state preemption does not cover weapons other than firearms. So while you're good do go as far as the state is concerned you can still run afoul of local ordinances.
    Florida concealed weapons statutes also apply to electronic/stun guns, knives and pepper spray weapons (pepper spray containers over 1oz in content).

Florida's concealed license is for weapons, not just firearms.

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
    (1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of 7 years from the date of issuance. Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

I saw an outlaw biker in Walmart (fl) with a big (5 in) shiny fixed blade, buck knife strapped to his belt totally exposed and for all to see. It has got be legal in FL for him to be so bold.

sgb

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Florida concealed weapons statutes also apply to electronic/stun guns, knives and pepper spray weapons (pepper spray containers over 1oz in content).

Florida's concealed license is for weapons, not just firearms.

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
    (1) The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is authorized to issue licenses to carry concealed weapons or concealed firearms to persons qualified as provided in this section. Each such license must bear a color photograph of the licensee. For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9). Such licenses shall be valid throughout the state for a period of 7 years from the date of issuance. Any person in compliance with the terms of such license may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm notwithstanding the provisions of s. 790.01. The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification, at all times in which the licensee is in actual possession of a concealed weapon or firearm and must display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law enforcement officer. Violations of the provisions of this subsection shall constitute a noncriminal violation with a penalty of $25, payable to the clerk of the court.
    Yes but preemption does not. The state PREEMPTS cities from enacting ordinances in regards to firearms, however the state neglected to include those other items including knives. So there's currently nothing to stop local governments from enacting ordinances prohibiting the carrying of those items

Yes but preemption does not. The state PREEMPTS cities from enacting ordinances in regards to firearms, however the state neglected to include those other items including knives. So there's currently nothing to stop local governments from enacting ordinances prohibiting the carrying of those items
    Ah! I see what you meant now.

IWB the knife. It's more comfortable than you think.

You can open carry whatever knife you want.... If someone asks, just tell them it's for work....
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links