What's D2 Steel?

This is a discussion on What's D2 Steel? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cabelas has a Mini Gripilian that they say is exclusive to them with D2 steel instead of 154CM steel. What's the difference and is it ...

Thread: What's D2 Steel?

What's D2 Steel?

Cabelas has a Mini Gripilian that they say is exclusive to them with D2 steel instead of 154CM steel. What's the difference and is it good?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bench...?WTz_l=Unknown
    Last edited by indenial; December 22nd, 2011 at 11:16 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    D2 is very good steel for a knife. It's tough and can be zone heat treated. It holds an edge really well.

About the only disadvantage of it is that it will stain or rust if you dont keep it oiled or keep the blood wiped off.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsor
    Wesson Ace Hardware has the mini Grips at a significantly lower price. The thumb hole black blaed version comes is $70.00 + shipping after the discount is applied.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

D2 is great steel and it is very durable although it does have 2 drawbacks I feel. Number one is that it has a tendency to chip more easily than softer metals. Number two is that its harder to sharpen that the softer steels. It needs less sharpening but when it does its a pain if you dont know what your doing.

D2 is a high carbon, high chromium tool steel that is very stable when heat-treated. It's used for metal stamping dies, or as they are called, part touching tools. 154CM is a premium stainless steel. In a knife blade I'm not sure that D2 is the better choice. It's more expensive, but it is not corrosion resistant and it is tough to re-sharpen. Stainless in a knife would seem preferable, especially 154CM. It's tough but without being brittle.

I'm called Metalman not because of my physique.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    As has been pointed out they are not as easy to sharpen, but they hold an edge very well. Sharpening is not all that diffucult, search the fourm for sharpening systems.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I like both. D2 is not pure carbon steel, and it has some rust resistance, but it has a tendency to stain. 154CM is a high-end cutlery stainless steel.

D2, I feel, takes a "toothy" edge and holds it for a good long time. I don't really feel it's harder to sharpen.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Links