Christmas Knives

Christmas Knives

This is a discussion on Christmas Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just ordered a Blind Horse PLSk 1 pathfinder knife and a Spyderco Temperance 2. Both knives should be here in about a week. My ...

Thread: Christmas Knives

Christmas Knives

I just ordered a Blind Horse PLSk 1 pathfinder knife and a Spyderco Temperance 2. Both knives should be here in about a week. My plans are to carry the PLSK 1 in my cars BOB and for general camp use. The Spyderco will be on me daily for field use. As soon as they're in I'll post a report. I can't wait!

plsk1d.jpgFB05P2_L.jpg

So, the knives came in a day apart the BHK PLSK 1 pathfinder knife is second to none. It is razor sharp and is the thickest blade that I own. I took it to the range with me and cut through the cardboard back stops to resize. It was better than using a box cutter. This knife screams quality and so does the sheath. In fact, I love it so much I ordered the PLSK Scout with the same sheath. Build time on that knife is about 60 days.

The Spyderco Temperance 2 is a quality knife. I like the adjustable sheath and plan on carrying it in the small of my back. It is also razor sharp out of the box and lends itself to bushwork or as a military/fighting knife. My only complaint is the micarta handle is is much duller than shown in the image and that hinds the "grain".

Both are quality knives and I'm confident each serve their intended purposes well.

Administrator
    Congrats. I really love nice knives.
    That PLSK would be a very fine general camp use knife.

I'm still waiting for the arrival of my Christmas purchase. The latest BUSSE release (ARGONNE ASSAULT LB) and sometime Mid January it should be working its way to my front door.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    Hint Hint:

If you want to enhance the grain of your Micarta here is what you do.

Buy a bit of pure Tung Oil and paint it on your Micarta handles.

Then use a clean toothbrush and quickly brush off as much of the oil as you can as you can.

Wipe the toothbrush with a lint free rag and brush off the handles again. Repeat if necessary.

The idea is that you want just enough Tung on there to bring out the pattern but, not really any excess oil sitting on the surface.

Wipe off any that you get onto your metal surfaces.

Then Leave The Knife Alone for a few days until the Tung Oil dries completely. It's a fairly fast drying oil.

You can also do the same with Pure Linseed Oil (also known as Flax Seed Oil) but it takes much longer to "dry" since Linseed Oil "dries" via polymerization.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it out. It didn't bother me that much but my wife says it's not as "pretty" as the picture :)

Administrator
    If you wet your Micarta with water you can get a pre-view of how it would look with the Tung.

Micarta is great stuff. It's an ideal knife handle material.

quick question about knifes

Hey i was just wondering what knife you prefer, the pathfinder plsk1 or the scout. Hope you can answer asap id appreicate it

Congrats. I really love nice knives.

Links