Horizontal Carry Knives

This is a discussion on Horizontal Carry Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a recently registered CCW carrier and now that I have that out of the way. I'm looking at buying a fixed blade knife. I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jtj82

Thread: Horizontal Carry Knives

Horizontal Carry Knives

I'm a recently registered CCW carrier and now that I have that out of the way. I'm looking at buying a fixed blade knife. I want to carry this knife Horizontally only, location at the S.O.B (small of my back). I'm just wanting some suggestions on what knives I should look at and why.

I just recently bought a Cold Steel Counter Tac II, and the complaint I have with this is, when I carry it at the S.O.B it doesn't feel secure, because it just has a clip. So I'm wanting this knife to be completely secure and no movement. I guess I would be willing to buy an additional sheath for the knife, but I would rather buy a knife where the sheath is adjustable and I could change the sheath to a horizontal or vertical.

I would love any suggestions and comments if possible. Oh by the way I'm a new member to this site and I have to say I LOVE IT SO FAR!!!!!!

Thanks for the information and suggestions there greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jake
    archhunt02 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    KaBar TDI or Scrap Yard Knife Works Scrapivore. Though I had to make my own SOB sheath for the Scrapy.

The TDI isn't really horizontal but it works well in the SOB position for me.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    Check ur local and state laws concerning knives. For example in North Carolina my state the ccw permit only covers a pistol and nothing else. Any knife other than a common folding pocket knife with a blade folding into a handle of not more than 4 1/2 inches is a concealed unlawful weapon which carries an arrest charge which if found guilty in state courts can and will show cause of then loss of rights to a ccw permit. It's all down hill from there. Be careful I'm just saying to help. Check things out first in ur area as to the law of the land. Then remember this bit of info what might be good in ur jack rabbit pasture will probably be wrong in another city or state.

Does the KaBar come with a adjustable sheath so I can carry it horizontal?

And Richard thanks for the info on carrying a knife I will for sure look into that I sure don't want to have any problems.

VIP Member
    The knife laws in MO are pretty messed up and while I agree you need to check them out for yourself, I'll say this. Don't carry any fixed blade knife concealed until you have fully researched our ignorantly worded laws! Basically, I won't carry any fixed blade knife because there is too much chance that if you come across the wrong LEO or DA, they will be able to charge you with a weapons violation that has serious implications.

Wish I had better news for you, but I went through all this when I wanted to carry a fixed blade as an EDC and after exhaustive reading, emails to the state and even a talk with my attorney, I've concluded that it's just not worth the risk.

This is one reason to like Iowa's Permit to Carry Weapons... knives included... long arms included... No destructive devices though (shame, that!).
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

This is one reason to like Iowa's Permit to Carry Weapons... knives included... long arms included... No offensive weapons (machine guns, flamethrowers, missiles, grenades, etc.) though (shame, that!).
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

VIP Member
    Oh I have a nice kabar TDI knife which I just love to carry but know not too. Way too risky to lose my ccw over a knife so it stays in the house. Myself I carry a regular liner lock pocketknife with a 3 1/2 inch blade to be safe. You don't need a lot of blade to do a lot of damage to someone trying to hurt you. You just need to learn to get it into action fast. Oh and don't bring a knife to a gun fight...lol
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I searched for a long time for the perfect EDC SD fixed blade knife. I wanted horizontal carry as well.

I couldn't ask for a better knife or sheath than I have now. The knife fits in perfectly with a bit of a "pop" when putting it in..and can be taken out very easily...but has never fallen out. I carry mine at about Directly to the right of my belt buckle, weak side.

Check it out...worth it imho.

CRKT Triumph Neck (Cord Wrapped) Tactical Fixed Blade Knives

your options are only limited by the local laws. any knife can have a custom kydex sheath made to your specifications. a "Tek-lok" system is adjustable for vertical or horizontal carry and clips to a belt. It can be designed into any custom sheath.

I carry a Benchmade NimCub II. 3.5" blade, very light and very sharp. The factory supplied sheath does not impress me but it gets the job done. I am working on finding a good sheath maker to do one up soon.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicegy525 View Post
    your options are only limited by the local laws. any knife can have a custom kydex sheath made to your specifications. a "Tek-lok" system is adjustable for vertical or horizontal carry and clips to a belt. It can be designed into any custom sheath.

I carry a Benchmade NimCub II. 3.5" blade, very light and very sharp. The factory supplied sheath does not impress me but it gets the job done. I am working on finding a good sheath maker to do one up soon.

I would give Invictus Kydex a jingle. Matt does very nice sheaths and can make one customized for your carry needs and deployment preference.

Links