Knife sharpeners

This is a discussion on Knife sharpeners within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like wet stones because I can usually keep a few in various places (Truck, saddle bag of bike, house ect)...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Knife sharpeners

I like wet stones because I can usually keep a few in various places (Truck, saddle bag of bike, house ect)
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

2. Remove Ads

Spyderco Tri Angle Sharpmaker. I won't use anything else anymore.
    Cdknox and Stevew like this.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I bought a two stage (one course wheel and one fine) electric sharpener at Bed Bath and Beyond. Just turn it on and pull the blade through the slots. Very sharp blade thereafter. I have had it a few years. Think it was less than 50 bucks.

The best knife sharpener is an old Grandpa at a boyscout meeting.

Its not so much about what you use, its about how good you are with it. I've had the same stone since I was 9 years old, and I can turn any knife into a razor :)
    Spade115 likes this.

I've been shaving with straight razors since the early 70's and have always used wet stones. I don't think you can get much sharper than a razor that gives a close comfortable shave.

For a monthly refreshing of the razor I now use a combo 4000/8000 Norton for honing, and a linen/leather strop for daily preparation.

I imagine that if you have a good edge angle on a good piece of steel you could attain a shaving edge with the above.

OMO

bosco

Administrator
    The Work Sharp is a really great knife sharpener. I would like to see them possibly also make a 600 grit belt.
    I always used a Lansky Diamond but, recently switched to the Work Sharp.
    It gives you a really fast shaving sharp edge. You might occasionally need to remake or refine the blade point which is an easy task.
    I'm extremely impressed with the very professional razor sharp edge that I get. And it's much faster than the Lansky AKA about 2 minutes and it produces a beautiful looking clean edge.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Has anyone seen the Warthog V-sharp? It is super easy to use an it makes any knife extremely sharp. Check out some of the you tube videos if you have a chance and are in the market.
    BIGRED1911
    Kimber ProElite Ruger P345 Ruger P95DC Beretta Cheetah 85FS

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Well I ended up getting the Work Sharp. Lots of YouTube videos which helped me decide.
    Just found this thread on a search. I'm looking for a good sharpener. How has the Work Sharp measured up?
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

The wicked edge is the best there is period, but they are about $350.00. Check out the demos on their site. Wicked Edge Precision Knife Sharpener
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

I am very happy with my Spyderco Triangle sharpmaker.
    Stevew likes this.

USPS just dropped off a Spyderco Sharpmaker a couple of weeks ago. They had a sale on and I ordered one. Haven't used it yet, but am looking forward to sitting down and sharpening a bunch of knives that have been neglected for a while. I watched Spyderco's video online at their site and it sold me on the unit! Looks a lot easier than trying to maintain the proper angle on a flat stone--which is the way I've done it for years--and the reason some of my knives haven't been sharpened for awhile!

Here is a link to their site in case anyone is interested: Spyderco Knives | Byrd Knives | Sharpening Tools & more - The Spyderco Store
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I bought these two about a month ago. Used the Presto for a major overhaul of my kitchen knives and have been using the II-slot on the Henckles for touch-ups every couple of weeks since. Both work great and are super easy to use. My knives are literally razor-sharp for the first time in a long time.

RKM
    I have a Lansky Crock Stick with medium and fine 9" ceramic rods. I love it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links