New guy and revisiting TX knife laws.

New guy and revisiting TX knife laws.

This is a discussion on New guy and revisiting TX knife laws. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Evening to one and all! Wandered across this site researching my state's knife laws and found a rather in depth, but yr old post on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New guy and revisiting TX knife laws.

Question New guy and revisiting TX knife laws.

Evening to one and all!

Wandered across this site researching my state's knife laws and found a rather in depth, but yr old post on the very subject. Instead of dragging that one back to the top, I'm posting this one. Texas knife law?

I was wondering what exactly makes a Tanto blade a "dagger" or double-edged weapon?

A flat grind is applied to the point, leaving it very thick and extraordinarily strong.The front edge meets the bottom edge at an obtuse angle rather than curving to meet it as seen in the Drop-Point blades. And also, most common Tanto's found/sold in the U.S. do NOT have the "top edge" sharpened, as a "dagger" would. In my line of work this is a VERY useful design as I deal with loading, transporting and unloading of wild hogs from all over the state. Everything crops up from needing rope cut, steel pins pried loose to one time a 60lb boar trying to use my shin to sharpen his tusks on. Not to mention those nervous 2am fuel stops..

Anyway, that's my question before I order up a $100 blade I wouldn't be able to carry all the time out of my truck. I'm working on getting a CHL, but that takes time from being on the go most days and this is our "busy" season.

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! I'm not much good on knives, so I'll let some other DC members respond regarding your questions.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

So, you can carry a couple of concealed pistols, but get in felony trouble if you carry small knife with a blade with an unapproved shape?!?!

In Texas?!?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    So, you can carry a couple of concealed pistols, but get in felony trouble if you carry small knife with a blade with an unapproved shape?!?!

In Texas?!?
    Yes. Knife laws here and elsewhere are insane. And the CHL is a handgun license not a weapons license, as in FL.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Yes. Knife laws here and elsewhere are insane. And the CHL is a handgun license not a weapons license, as in FL.
    Which, like many of us, I agree need to be SERIOUSLY fixed. I mean, really, when someone says Bowie Knife, they think of Jim Bowie and the Alamo. Not a few yrs. in State Prison..

Yeah, I grew up in FL., Daytona to be exact, and miss a FEW things, but not ALL.

I do love how Texas specifically mentions poniards being illegal.. something that was from the 14th-ish century period designed to pierce chain-mail and padded doublets worn by those rapier dueling types. Makes one wonder just HOW old these laws actually are.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A hardy THANK YOU to all those with a warm welcome and a special thanks to the PM'ers. The advice is much appreciated!!

IMO, knife laws are really 'intent' laws and 'pile-on' laws and traffic stop enhancers (for LEOs to violate your rights). If you carry a knife of any kind, never get stopped in traffic, never go stupid places with stupid people, doing stupid things, you can carry anything, anywhere. I've gone into a small city near a campground carrying a huge machete on my belt, but I had a canteen, smelled like smoke, had on camo gear.

====
    OT:
    Actually my fav knife to carry when camping is a monster heavy duty turkey slicing knife with a round tip. It's very sharp and fun to play around with. I started carrying a brain autopsy knife in a duct tape sheath when I was young and had no money (worked in a lab which had a bunch of these lying around).

Autopsy had dozens of these just lying all around the place, some rusty. I took two home they were going to throw out and polished 'em up. 12-14" blades.
    brain_knife_skull_breaker_rachitome_d_i_web_10ffb779f4.png

14" blade, thick spine. Fun to play with, trim trees. It's expensive $149 bucks but I got two free when I worked as a manager in a food service job (didn't steal, the head manager gave them to me).
    211fygDRFEL._SS500_.jpg

In Texas blade length is 5.5 or under. (If you carry a large blade a small measuring tape helps)

A tanto blade is legal to carry only if the top portion of the blade is sharpened (most arent) and depending on what you are looking to buy will depend really.

I carried one of these and even had officers ask me about it 4 inch blade tanto style mines was partially serrated

I even carried this one which looks "meaner" then the kabar I carried. Had both for a year on my belt

This one though was 5.2 inches long with the kick on the back.

What knife are you planning on picking up?
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I like that design to allow a blade longer than the handle.

Since 99% of my use of my folder is cutting boxes, cheese, tape, I use a flat grind blade. Where I am the 'blade' laws are a patchwork. No rules at all, overlaid by weird 'city specific' ones for the lengths.

That seems goofy to me. If you believe the, oh, say adult population should be able to carry a knife, why not everyone? In school we all had Boy Scout knives, and Barlow's and even traded them on the playground (Elementary school 1-6).

When I left HS, it was still peaceful and almost collegiate in atmosphere. Nobody skipped, everyone word button down shirts and buzz-cuts and shined their shoes. So it was nobigdeal.

Not sure I understand the need to carry tactical type knives and serrations - do they cut string better? I like a plain, black knife that is cheap enough to lose or replace when dull, almost (under $30) but solid (Spyderco).

Me personally I like options lol

Ive carried knives since I was 11 (about 15 years ago now :/)

and since learning knife laws better I carry 5-20 dollar knives for work (incase it breaks or whatever) carry fixed blades and whatever knife I own since riding my motorcycle I tend to carry a larger folder/fixed because ive actually had to use it to reach a clip or something that fell under the seat between the motor and trans and didnt want to burn myself. lol

My girlfriend bought me the BM LFK because I liked it, I ended up loving it and put it away after a year so I could buy another so I wouldnt break that one (they no longer make the original one and only make a Harley version of it) My dad use's one for carpentry work and I gave him my mule (so I need to order another one for myself)

I use my knives for the same as you (I have found serrations to work better with cardboard though :P )

but like I said options have always helped. I like serrations for wiring and tanto for cutting meats (I put the sharp flat side down and use it at an angle to cut clean)

but like I said I just like options.

If you like the benchmade id reccomend it, best 75 I spent

How serendipitous! I just returned from visiting in-laws in Texas and was about to start a knife thread as a result.

Apparently, unlike Virginia, Texas does not have a no preemption law. As a result, every locality is free to make up their own laws. The state has a 5 ish inch blade limitation but several localities have their own SPECIAL laws, like a locking blade of any length is a jailable offense. I didn't believe it when told so I looked it up, YUP!

I was entering a Tx State building (tourist attraction) with the wife when I encountered: Guards, Metal Detectors, and X-ray machines. I dutifully emptied my pockets which included my Spyderco Endura. A very pleasant armed Tx person picked up my Spyderco, looked at me an said: "Texas law restricts pocket knives to 5 inch blades, this one is clearly less than that." Then carefully not opening the knife, the Tx guard placed the Spyderco back in the tray for me to retrieve and informed me that in several locales, naming a few that included my current location, any length locking blade was grounds for immediate arrest and jail.

And what's with all the signs everywhere stating that it's unlawful to carry a concealed weapon without a permit?

Texas: Nice people, strange laws!

its just so you can go in there if you have your weapon and your permit but you will get in trouble for not having your permit and your firearm a lot of people who come thing just because its texas they can carry (this is true people worry me sometimes :/)

Spade115-

Was looking at the Cold Steel Kobun, which according to company specs is right at the legal limit of 5.5", but according to various reviews of it, it comes in closer to 5.25". I've carried Cold Steel blades off and on for a LONG time and wanted to go with a brand I know personally and trust. I know it's one of their "lower" end blades coming in at about $30, but I'd rather jack it up then their $150 models prying loose a jammed hinge pen on a trailer gate. And to be extra safe, I'll run my digital calipers on it to make SURE it's "legal" length. If not, I'm only out of $30, not $150. What stirred my orginal question was that if memory serves me correctly not one, but TWO LEO's posted how Tanto's would be considered "daggers" in the link posted in my OP above. I just didn't want to drag up old threads... Love those pics BTW, normally my more common "social" blades are CRKT's like their M16 series.

GettingOld2-

You must have been hanging around the San Antonio area.. they're kinda strange down that way..
    But, yes, we Texans REALLY need to refine and update our knife laws, we got to working on our gun rights so hot and heavy we just plain forgot about knives.
    As for the signs, our CHL's have rather specific non carry areas listed, well, folks who aren't listed still have the right to deny carrying on their premises by posting those signs. There are normally two basic versions of the signs, one saying no to ALL carrying and the other specifies no UN LICENSED carrying. Most gas station type stores will post the no unlicensed version.. most owners aren't dummies, armed citizens shopping are handy robbery deterrents.
    If you really want amusing Texas laws, try our Liquor Laws...
    You are in a "Dry" town, but the Chili's restuarant has a bar, which will allow you to order from if you pay like $2 or $3 "Club Membership" fee.. for one day membership, or you can pay $25+ for a year long membership. Everywhere else in town liquor isn't sold... it goes downhill from there.
    Last edited by TxStorm; January 7th, 2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: grammer corrections

Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Not sure I understand the need to carry tactical type knives and serrations - do they cut string better?
    I originally chose a partially serrated Spyderco as my lifejacket kayak knife under the theory that I might need to sever wet nylon rope in a hurry. Since then I still like the partially serrated as multipurpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links