Cold Steel Gentelman's Cane

This is a discussion on Cold Steel Gentelman's Cane within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You can get a pretty good glimpse of it here -- http://www.coldsteel.com/citystick.html Personally, I like the skull head version. But honestly, is this thing practical? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Steel Gentelman's Cane

You can get a pretty good glimpse of it here -- http://www.coldsteel.com/citystick.html

Personally, I like the skull head version.

But honestly, is this thing practical? How many people do you see walking along the street with fancy canes anymore unless they have some sort of injury?
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Man now THAT is a "pimp stick!!!!" hahaha I don't think its practical and actually... well... I think I would probably give its carrier a little chuckle. Unless the person actually needs it.

Of course, I can see that being one ******* weapon. Some dude comes up with a knife and that thing comes flying up out of nowhere? Geez, you hit someone in the arm or the leg with that and POW, BG has a nice fracture.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    I think if I went for a cane it'd be a simple (unostentatious) all wood with a knobbly head.

That would not draw too much attention I reckon and I could at my age manage a satisfactory extra limp if so using
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I walk with a cane because I actually Need one, and I can tell you a crook neck cane is a much better idea.

The other big problem for Cold Steel is, they really don't make canes long enough. If the user is 5-5 or taller, they need a cane that is at least 39 inches long in order to not look strange.

I carry a plain old crook-top rattan cane from C. Davis that is made for practicioners of Hapkido. Davis actually markets a cane combatives DVD that is easy to learn for non martial artists.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Canes are very pratical for where you can't go armed. all wodden are better then brass aor silver handled. A good Hickory , Apple , Oak are nice. I carry a cane made from a Hickory shovel handle.
    I make canes from various woods. Iron Bark makes good canes, hard to work though, they have good weight to them. The only coments I get about my canes are "thats a nice looking stick ya got there". No one ever tells me I can't have it with me.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'd prefer to actually have the "cane gun." I think they did something about it on Mythbusters and they couldn't make it work...

HOWEVER!!!! I have been inside the FBI's weapons lockup in Washington, D.C. They have an example of every kind of weapon used in a crime (they even have a 30mm Anti-Aircraft gun). There is a gun that fires a .22 round. It's a single-shot breech-loader and looks completely normal. Very cool gun I wouldn't mind using for Open Carry. haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    Nifty looking for sure. I would hate to have to whack someone with it though. Imagine the fun in court of having a skull head on your "weapon". When I had to use a cane I used a good oak cane.

I have a nice hickory stick that I use when out hiking in the woods. I believe it was in Pale Rider, "Nothing like a good piece of hickory."
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    After blowing out a disk in my back a few years ago, I had to use a cane for a few weeks.

I have one that is made out of a twisted tree root that got a lot of positive comments. More recently, I have been making a straight hardwood cane with a big heavy brass hame ball on top. It is comfortable to my hand, and heavy enough be of some use in warding off an attacker. Plus it looks good too.

I have long been fascinated with the idea of a cane gun. Too bad they fall under the A.O.W (any other weapon) catagory. If it weren't for the $200 tax stamp I would try my hand at making one. Anybody know whether a black powder version would be under the same restrictions?

I'm with you lawrence, I use a cane because I need it and for me it would have to be a crook neck cane of decent length. I wouldn't mind having one made out of good "whacking" material though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Keeney View Post
    I walk with a cane because I actually Need one, and I can tell you a crook neck cane is a much better idea.

The other big problem for Cold Steel is, they really don't make canes long enough. If the user is 5-5 or taller, they need a cane that is at least 39 inches long in order to not look strange.

I carry a plain old crook-top rattan cane from C. Davis that is made for practicioners of Hapkido. Davis actually markets a cane combatives DVD that is easy to learn for non martial artists.

very odd...very odd indeed.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    If you want to look like a shepherd, I think the staff is an awesome weapon, in trained hands.

In my state (Virginia), when we went to shall issue, the old concealed WEAPON permit turned into a concealed HANDGUN permit. Not sure if a big concealed blade is even legal.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    If you want to look like a shepherd, I think the staff is an awesome weapon, in trained hands.

In my state (Virginia), when we went to shall issue, the old concealed WEAPON permit turned into a concealed HANDGUN permit. Not sure if a big concealed blade is even legal.
    Para, no fixed blade of any length is legal for concealed carry in VA. However, any length folding blade is ok. Fixed length blades are ok for open carry.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

i was interested in a cane, too, for hiking and defense. i personally don't think the city stick is very practical, but cold steel also has a version of an african knob kerrie, for under $40. no steel to rust, either. also, i've seen a "war hammer" cane with a brass head, somewhere on the 'net, which would be legal even on a plane. anyone else seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysquid View Post
    I'm with you lawrence, I use a cane because I need it and for me it would have to be a crook neck cane of decent length. I wouldn't mind having one made out of good "whacking" material though.

This rattan one I carry is tough as heck.

You should get one of the better cane combatives DVDs..you would be surprised how incredibly easy it is for someone with very little training to use a crook top cane to put an assailant on their butt with very few moves.

This is a subject very close to my heart since I was hurt in January 2005.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

I will have to check one of those videos out Lawrence.

I bookmarked the C davis group website also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links