Help with this knife

Help with this knife

This is a discussion on Help with this knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Knowing very little about knives other than the pocket knives I had when I was a kid, I purchased two of these on eBay a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By luvmy40

Thread: Help with this knife

Help with this knife

Knowing very little about knives other than the pocket knives I had when I was a kid, I purchased two of these on eBay a few years back for dirt cheap. They reside in my tackle box.

Can anybody give me information on the style, intended use and also info on the style or lack of a wooden grip. The nylon wrapped handle seems to serve a purpose but I wonder how safe a grip it would be. The knife measures 11" end to end.

2012-01-15_16-04-48_687.jpg
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Sponsor
    Without a clear pic, I would say that you have $5.00-$10.00 cord wrapped, Chinese steel "survival"/"camp" knives.
    Nothing special but they may be of fairly good to crap quality. Beat the hell out of one on camping trip and see how it holds up.

I have a couple, very similar that reside in the bottom of my camp tackle boxes. I don't worry that they may get lost, abused or broken. Mine actually take a good edge though any rough chopping takes it's toll quickly.

ETA:
    The cord wrap serves a few different purposes. It makes for a pretty secure though thin grip. It has an integral lanyard and you can unwrap the grip and use the 550 cord to lash the blade to a pole for a spear or use it for any other purpose requiring a strong light line.

The serrated spine is "designed" to be used as a saw or to break wire or to help secure the knife blade up for various tasks. Most of them are pretty useless in reality though they can be used as a fish scaler in a pinch.
    Pkupmn98 likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Administrator
    Probably a FROST Cutlery Chinese blank/stamped-out cheapie import so if you got it cheap then you got it for the right price.
    Most were blanked out of ATS 34 and depending on the heat treatment it will either hold up OK or it will fail right when you need it most.

Take the grip off, and it looks like some old throwing knives I had as a kid.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Ok thanks, I knew they were nothing special and had almost forgotten about them until I started digging thru an old tackle box.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Yes you are right.
    Chinese steel is not very good

Administrator
    Actually all of the Cold Steel knives are Chinese made now. (I'm pretty sure) and they are still quite good.

That "one piece" Cold Steel Bushman is the "cats livin' ass" for a super-cheapie knife and I bought a few of them on Ebay just to have one around in several places.

Beating the absolute crap out of my first one convinced me to buy a few more. I batoned the heck out of it. And it field sharpens quite easily though it does not have the very best edge retention.

I keep one in the vehicle trunk - one in my B.O.B. - and one at work.

The supplied sheath (of course) totally sucks.

the op's knife is one you can pick up here at flea markets, Good for light stuff (fishing knife) and not a big deal if it gets banged up you can reshape it.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Take the knives,sharpen two sticks,rap the cord around the sticks for handles,then,throw the knives away!

Sponsored Links