40mm for Home Defense?

40mm for Home Defense?

This is a discussion on 40mm for Home Defense? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a new member to this forum and have learned a great deal since joining. My company is in the development / R&D phase ...

View Poll Results: Would you a 40mm round for home defense?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 38.89%
  • No

22 61.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 40mm for Home Defense?

40mm for Home Defense?

I am a new member to this forum and have learned a great deal since joining.

My company is in the development / R&D phase of a 40mm weapon for home defense. It would be similar to the weapon that the police and swat teams currently use for riot and crowd control. The round would have a rubberized tip and would allow for the user to take down an enemy and take control of the situation without major long term injury. It also would be an option for those who do not feel comfortable having a loaded weapon around the house.

This is a link to a video of a soldier getting hit with a 40mm round.

Our prototype does exactly the same thing to an assailant allowing for time to gain control over the situation.

Our weapon would be considered a less lethal weapon. I would like some input or feedback on if this weapon would be a viable option for home defense. The weapon, according to our lawyers is completely non regulated and could be available in all states. I respectfully look forward to your feedback -
    Thanks, Dave

I am not interested in using less than lethal means. If I am in fear of my life I will use deadly force. Otherwise I will remove myself from the situation. If you are in my home uninvited, god help you.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I am not interested in using less than lethal means. If I am in fear of my life I will use deadly force. Otherwise I will remove myself from the situation. If you are in my home uninvited, god help you.
    I am in 110% agreement
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

welcome aboard met from s.e.mich. good luck in your project and thank you for your service......
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I am still new to this, but do all states allow for guns in the home for self defense?

I definitely agree with your statement about coming in uninvited.

Legally, it would be lethal force. Rubber bullets are capable of causing death or serious bodily harm, especially if used by someone not trained in using them.

If I need to use lethal force to defend myself, then it is because someone is attacking me with lethal force. So why would I want to respond with something less lethal?

I do think it has military and police applications, but not so much for civilians.

Never mind that 40mm weapons are generally single shot, so what if there are two attackers?

I also am not sure about the legal issues involved. I know I have seen 37mm flare guns for sale to the public, but never a 40mm launcher. It would certainly need to be not compatible with military 40mm rounds, as it would then be a grenade launcher. And if it isn't compatible, then your company needs to develop two products, one for the military, and one for civilians.

Those are the issues that pop into my mind off the top of my head
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Now if you develop a 40mm lethal round for civilian use. I would be interested. Otherwise, to me , non lethal means are either gimmicks or ways to try and " replace " firearms. An antis dream.
    oneshot and Badey like this.

Buckeye .45 - Thanks for the feedback. I agree and a multishot prototype is in development. It would not be compatible with the military rounds. Your intuition is correct, as we are developing product for both the military/LE and civilian use. The civilian use model will be out way before the military/LE models. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Now if you develop a 40mm lethal round for civilian use. I would be interested. Otherwise, to me , non lethal means are either gimmicks or ways to try and " replace " firearms. An antis dream.
    What about the concept of variable lethality?

Quote Originally Posted by Metadyne View Post
    What about the concept of variable lethality?
    Personally, I think it is a terrible idea. In a lethal situation there is already sensory overload, you don't want to need to be worrying about what setting it is on.

Having some experience with a multi-round 40mm weapon, I wish you luck with trying to develop one. There seem to be a lot of issues with them, and I think the fact that 40mm grenades have been used by the military for close to 50 years, and a reliable 40mm multi-shot weapon still doesn't really exist, says something (The M-32s I saw were not reliable).

I do believe that your poll is going to be heavily skewed to the no side. As generally this forum is made up of people who take self defense seriously, and have made the commitment to carry arms lawfully for defense. Most have a fair amount of training and some real world experience with firearms for defense.

So, the crowd that is apprehensive of having a loaded gun around isn't really what you find here. But, I do wish you luck
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Buckeye .45 - Thanks for your feedback - I really appreciate your real world experience and expertise. When we get the multi-shot weapon done I will post a video for your review. Thanks again

load it with 00 buck, and i'd have interest.

40mm seems a bit much. I prefer 9 or 10.

VIP Member
    The issue I have with it, is after seeing the video, and seeing the soldier getting "shot" with the weapon, seeing him go down, then seeing the wound it made{albeit a nasty one}, then seeing how only a short elapsed for him to basically recover and get up, I think if your assailant were under some influence of a drug of some type, he may not realize what has just occurred to him, allowing him time to take you or a family member out.

I guess that puts me in the " if they are in your house, hit them with lethal force" camp.
    Something that will, if allowed solid hits will get his mind off harming me and mine.
    In other words, CNS hits, which will shut them down.
    Crowd control in a riot situation, YES, Home defense, probably not.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

If I was interested in a less than lethal round, there are plenty to choose from in 12 gauge.

I'm in agreement with all the previous posters - if someone is INSIDE my home, the time for less than lethal options has long since passed.
    NavyAirdale likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links