OC or taser and options?

This is a discussion on OC or taser and options? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have no problem with using deadly force if necessary, but I would like the option to dissuade a person rather than have to shoot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC or taser and options?

OC or taser and options?

I have no problem with using deadly force if necessary, but I would like the option to dissuade a person rather than have to shoot them outright, and a way to possibly avoid any issues with other dogs while walking mine.
    To that end I am leaning towards OC spray, but I am not sure of anything other than I do know that I want it to spray a stream and not a mist. I would also like to get opinions on tasers since they are legal here and being informed on them couldn't hurt, well at least it couldn't hurt me .
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

2. Remove Ads

Cool

You can buy alot of OC for the cost of a civilian taser.

I bought my wife a Taser C-2 a few years back and she and I both carry it on occasion but we both carry OC/CS religiously.

Multiple assailants can be delt with better by the application of OC/CS then with a Taser.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

I like OC/CS and I prefer a stream.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Thanks for the info. Is the brand Mace?
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Fox Labs pepper spray is the best IMO.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I would use the taser myself
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Depends on cash flow, I guess. Taser C2 is about $250-$300, Fox OC is about $15. I've used both Tasers and OC and the OC got me out of a jam every time, while the Taser failed a couple of times, resulting in the need to use the OC anyway.

I keep a can of wasp n hornet killer in the door of my truck, the little pocket thingie....shoots about 20 feet with a stream, and if will kill a red wasp in mid air, know it will get someones or any animals attention...... and it holds a lot !!!!!
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Does anyone have any info on Sabre Gel? I have heard of Sabre before, but I didn't know they made gel. That sounds like it might be a good idea since it would stick to the person.

Personally, no thanks on the wasp spray. A) That just sounds like it would lead to some sort of lawsuit since it is poison and harmful to humans B) I got some bug spray in my eyes once (I know not quite the same) and it took about 20 minutes for my eyes to start burning.

You might want to check out kimbers' OC "gun". It's two shots, disposable, and it's point and "shoot" (less chance for confusion, when switching defense mechanisms) it sprays a fan shaped pattern at 90 MPH. From the little bit I've heard about it it's supposed to be top notch.

-Russell
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

Russell, thanks for the reminder. I had read a review in a gun magazine (I know not always unbiased) but it looked quite good. The guy took two shots from a practice spray cartridge and it hit him hard enough to get around the safety goggles he was wearing.

Whatever you decide, practice with it. Get an inert training can with your OC (shoots water instead of pepper), or get extra Taser cartridges to practice with. If you can afford both, get 'em, but I still maintain OC is better. If you do go with OC, forget the crappy little keychain units.

VIP Member
    Kinda like bringing a knife to a gun fight. If u pull a taser or OC spray use it right away before he pulls a weapon on you. Going off half cocked or waiting can get you killed fast.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I have recently gone to carrying OC as a backup/secondary option myself. Check out baltimoredefense.com I've gone many years without thinking about alternatives, but options do seem good to have. The ability to decide when and if an alternative option (to deadly force) should be deployed is another story. I sincerely hope that options will never cost someone their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Kinda like bringing a knife to a gun fight. If u pull a taser or OC spray use it right away before he pulls a weapon on you. Going off half cocked or waiting can get you killed fast.
    Pulling OC is the same as pulling a pistol to me. I'm only pulling it if I need to, and if I need to it is for a reason, not just a show and it is getting used unless they run or surrender immediately. And I really hope they leave as fast as they possibly can.

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever View Post
    Pulling OC is the same as pulling a pistol to me. I'm only pulling it if I need to, and if I need to it is for a reason, not just a show and it is getting used unless they run or surrender immediately. And I really hope they leave as fast as they possibly can.
    Actually you don't want them to "leave". You want them incapacitated and on scene when the police arrive. This makes the first and initial contact viable. Be ready with secondary weapon if things don't go as planned. You deciding to put out OC instead of deadly force was your way of not dealing out deadly force for a reason. You need to make the prosecuting attorney aware of this and all subjects including witnesses need to be available for the possible trial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links