Need help finding a knife

This is a discussion on Need help finding a knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hummel12345 Very nice, I especially like #3. And it even is a German company! ;) I figured they might have something that ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Need help finding a knife

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hummel12345 View Post
    Very nice, I especially like #3. And it even is a German company! ;)
    I figured they might have something that met the needs of their people!
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Now there's a good idea. Removing the thumb stud. If that can be done without damaging the blade it opens all kinds of possibilities.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Top knives in Idaho has some great fixed blade not sure if price range and OKC, I have several from both

I carry a Ka-Bar Mule Folder everyday, its a very sturdy knife, but a bit heavy.
    Spade115 likes this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I love the Buck 110 folder. i know you want one with a clip,but you must get one of these just cause The ole lady has accused me of wearing mine in the sack.
    Honestly,its gotta be one of the best knife values on the market!
    Spade115 likes this.
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

You can do no wronge with the kabar mile g10 version (i love the weight) and the buck 110 is AWESOME! lol
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    Now there's a good idea. Removing the thumb stud. If that can be done without damaging the blade it opens all kinds of possibilities.
    Seems like a good idea, but I can basically open all my one-handed folders without using the thumb stud/thumb hole, as the blade folds out without much effort, unlike with true two-handers (pun intended lol) that are often hard to open even with the nail groove.

And the former would be illegal, unfortunately... German law makers: Sure, carry a 5inch fixed blade, but do not even THINK of carrying a 3inch folder that you can open ONE-HANDEDLY, lol

Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    I love the Buck 110 folder. i know you want one with a clip,but you must get one of these just cause The ole lady has accused me of wearing mine in the sack.
    Honestly,its gotta be one of the best knife values on the market!
    Alright, you got me there, I'm getting one :D I'll give it to the GF and if she doesn't like it, I'll keep it. Or let's see if Buck sells some colored knives, brb ;)

if you cannot have a folder that can be opened with one hand, you are pretty much limited to the traditional swiss army knife or "gentleman's folder"

I have a sneaking suspicion the "one handed opening" statute refers to butterfly knives, especially if you are allowed to carry a fixed blade up to 4.5" but not a folder...

There are quite a few options for fixed blades with less than 4.5" blade length. A few I would highly recommend:

Benchmade Nim Cub II (3.5" blade)
    Esee Izula/IzulaII 3" blade
    Cold Steel Mini Tac series

Quote Originally Posted by Nicegy525 View Post
    if you cannot have a folder that can be opened with one hand, you are pretty much limited to the traditional swiss army knife or "gentleman's folder"

I have a sneaking suspicion the "one handed opening" statute refers to butterfly knives, especially if you are allowed to carry a fixed blade up to 4.5" but not a folder...

There are quite a few options for fixed blades with less than 4.5" blade length. A few I would highly recommend:

Benchmade Nim Cub II (3.5" blade)
    Esee Izula/IzulaII 3" blade
    Cold Steel Mini Tac series
    Unfortunately, no. Butterfly knives are another section (forbidden weapons), which includes fist-knives, automatic openers and butterflies. The "one-handed" part of the statute it pretty straight forward, but I have also confirmed my reading with a German police officer. Fixed blades are allowed up to a certain length, and I assume they are because they are harder to conceal than a folder.

I will look into the fixed knives you posted, thank you!

I still have my survival knife issued to me in Vietnam 1967 has a belt carry sheath. Just had a friend sharpen it you could shave with it.

Rich
    yooperdug likes this.

What is the standard size for a fixed you can carry? If you can carry a 5 inch that opens a lot of posibilities, I like to stay around what im allowed too on knives. I have a Buck 119 fixed blade I measured under 5.5 but I think the site says its over will have to remeasure with when I get home.

yooperdug likes this.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    What is the standard size for a fixed you can carry? If you can carry a 5 inch that opens a lot of posibilities, I like to stay around what im allowed too on knives. I have a Buck 119 fixed blade I measured under 5.5 but I think the site says its over will have to remeasure with when I get home.

It's 12cm blade length, so 4.72 inch

How about a Ka-bar TDI? Small fixed blade easy to conceal and draws fast. Not a pocket clip knife so may not meet your needs.
    I did not catch what your main usage would be.

Not quite on topic, but WTH: I just received 2 machetes from Kennesaw. They weren't expensive, but I wanted carbon steel so I could re-work them. I'm doing a canoe trip this summer for a month and I figured with the smaller rivers I'm planning, I might need a whacker. I bought a Gerber machete with a saw tooth back, and a 18" kukri. Totally pleased. Quick shipping, reasonably priced, good products. My $.02

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links