Need help finding a knife

This is a discussion on Need help finding a knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Ducmonster How about a Ka-bar TDI? Small fixed blade easy to conceal and draws fast. Not a pocket clip knife so may ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Need help finding a knife

Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post
    How about a Ka-bar TDI? Small fixed blade easy to conceal and draws fast. Not a pocket clip knife so may not meet your needs.
    I did not catch what your main usage would be.
    It would be a utility knife, so the Ka-Bar TDI is probably too much of a self-defense knife, judging by the looks :)

2. Remove Ads

correct, the TDI makes for a lousy utility knife due to the ergonomics!

these are some tricky requirements. so basically you can carry a knife but it must be as difficult to utilize as possible. good thing you want one for utility because defensive use is going out the window.

I would say go with that buck or something like it. doesn't look aggressive and meets your needs.

so I guess this ones out of the question :(

:P
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    so I guess this ones out of the question :(

:P
    Wow! Nice!
    What is it?
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    these are some tricky requirements. so basically you can carry a knife but it must be as difficult to utilize as possible. good thing you want one for utility because defensive use is going out the window.

I would say go with that buck or something like it. doesn't look aggressive and meets your needs.
    That sums it up pretty nicely. Oh well, I still got my hands, knees and elbows for defense :)

I'm getting the Buck just because it is nice, but I am still open to folder suggestions that have a clip, simply because I prefer those over belt sheaths

Quote Originally Posted by Hummel12345 View Post
    That sums it up pretty nicely. Oh well, I still got my hands, knees and elbows for defense :)

I'm getting the Buck just because it is nice, but I am still open to folder suggestions that have a clip, simply because I prefer those over belt sheaths
    Good for you ! You wont be sorry
    Spade115 likes this.

After checking out all knife suggestions and going basically through all suggested knife makers' websites, I got the GF an Izula (grey). Legal to carry and the possibility to paracord the handle is just great. It will be wrapped in pink/blue paracord, hope she likes it! And to keep myself from envying her Izula, I got the Buck 110 :)

Thanks everyone for their suggestions and comments!
    Spade115 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    Wow! Nice!
    What is it?
    Sorry havnt been on in a while lol

Thats a Gil Hibben Recon 5 1/4 inch blade :D 50 bucks at most places.

Congrats on the 110 :D Also side note you can "bolt" on a thumb stud/bar if you need to later for one handed opening and you can remove it without damage to the blade as well :D
    yooperdug likes this.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    Sorry havnt been on in a while lol

Thats a Gil Hibben Recon 5 1/4 inch blade :D 50 bucks at most places.

Congrats on the 110 :D Also side note you can "bolt" on a thumb stud/bar if you need to later for one handed opening and you can remove it without damage to the blade as well :D
    Thanks for the info,Spade. Thinkin I might have to go to work on updating my knife collection

I agree with Spade115. Get a Buck 110 or Buck 112, with belt pouch.

My very first job out of HS was working in the Shrade Knife Factory. I don't know how well received the "Old Timer" knives are here but they made a bunch of great knives that fit your requirements and are very similar to the Buck 110. I have a bunch of them between LB 1 - LB 7. The Lock Blade 1 is tiny and the LB 7 is probably too large so I think a LB 5 would fit your bill nicely if you could still find one. Back in the '60s-70's Shrade was one of the countries premier knife makers. You could do a search for Shrade Old Timer LB 5 and I am sure you could find a picture and specs. I have carried one for 40 years and it is still good as new.

Gary

Benchmade

Quote Originally Posted by Gamalot View Post
    My very first job out of HS was working in the Shrade Knife Factory. I don't know how well received the "Old Timer" knives are here but they made a bunch of great knives that fit your requirements and are very similar to the Buck 110. I have a bunch of them between LB 1 - LB 7. The Lock Blade 1 is tiny and the LB 7 is probably too large so I think a LB 5 would fit your bill nicely if you could still find one. Back in the '60s-70's Shrade was one of the countries premier knife makers. You could do a search for Shrade Old Timer LB 5 and I am sure you could find a picture and specs. I have carried one for 40 years and it is still good as new.

Gary
    You are so right--Schrade is a great knife. My father-in-law who is an old time trapper,had to throw his into the trash can in front of the TSA people at the airport because he "forgot" he had it on his person as he approached the scanning checkpoint. He carried that knife for over 40 years,it was second nature!
    I understand the way of the world these days,but dont you think maybe perhaps a TSA worker couldve given him a FedEx or UPS envelope to send it back home in??

Does your state specifically prohibit being able to open the knife with one hand or do they just prohibit assisted opening knives? Mine is not REALLY an assisted opening knife but can be opened with one hand using a thumb stud at the end of the blade. It opens really easily (and I'm a women), plus it has a fold out screwdriver with four different heads! Plus it's a bottle opener. The blade is three inches and so sharp you could shave with it! It's a Kershaw and only cost $20 bucks!!!! Now that may make it sound like a cheap knife, but it's not. I bought it at the local large (normally really expensive) gun shop/range. However, they got a fantastic deal on them at a show so they were able to sell them really at a great price. Anyway, the salesman said he tried to talk the manager into buying as many as he could, but he ended up only buying a few and they were gone within a couple of days. I was lucky to get one and LOVE it. I was prepared to spend around $100 because I wanted a good knife, but the salesman showed me this one...the last one...and I snatched it up! They're buying more, although they'll be more expensive, but I'm going to get one for all the men in my life...they'll love them!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links