who uses a cane? - Page 2

who uses a cane?

This is a discussion on who uses a cane? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jason Storm I've used one for one month when I sprained my MCL about 3 yrs. ago. I bought the cane at ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: who uses a cane?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    I've used one for one month when I sprained my MCL about 3 yrs. ago. I bought the cane at a drug store but is is pretty heavy enough to do the job. As for training, I have trained in the PR-24 for military police, Filipino stickfighting, and the bo staff. I can pretty much use their principles in the applied use of the cane. I have also purchased a video on the use of the cane from Michael Janich as a supplement/refresher to what I have already learned.
    Both very easy to transition to a cane; the "Filipino stickfighting" is also quite useful for knife training. See--Janich, "Knife Fighting..." where he makes some good points about the use of Abanico. Every now and then I like to play bamboo sticks against bo-staff. You can get some nice choreography into a routine.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Both very easy to transition to a cane; the "Filipino stickfighting" is also quite useful for knife training. See--Janich, "Knife Fighting..." where he makes some good points about the use of Abanico. Every now and then I like to play bamboo sticks against bo-staff. You can get some nice choreography into a routine.
    His video is called "Martial Cane Concepts". And I still have my cane just in case and practice with it on occasion, although I currently do not use it at this time.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    If you are looking for some formal training, and if there is a school in your area, this is an awesome system for cane and knife.
    Goju-Shorei Martial Arts: Karate and Weapons - Home

Very much worth it's while.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

In my area you can pick up some nice heavy canes and walking sticks at some of the local hardware stores. Not like the flimsier models normally found at drug stores or hospital supply stores.

Michael

Redhawk44357,

Welcome to the forum.

I've used a cane for over 15 years. Most of the time I use a standard crooked metal cane except mine is 2+lbs of steel (balanced) rather than aluminum. The steel is heavy and strong so I am not afraid to use it as an impact weapon.
    I trained with the "Bo" staff when I was younger so was familiar with stick fighting when I started using the cane. In the last few years I've checked out a few different concepts for using the cane defensively. The one I like the best can be found here. Cane Masters!, Walking Canes for mobility, self-defense, exercise and rehabilitation
    The thing that I like the most is that it takes into consideration those of us who have limits to what we can physically do.
    DRM likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I'm too young to use a cane to pass it off as a SD tool (I am not bragging neither). I had a sub-teacher in high school that walked with a cane one day he did an act that was unbecoming of a person of power and a student started to get in his face, I had that man back off a little and grip the cane in a way that showed me that he really didn't use the cane to walk. This was before I saw him run at almost full speed trying to catch his bus home. My dad always told me, through his actions as an older man to never judge a book by its cover so I was not shocked by the teachers actions.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    TSknight, that's a great site. Thanks for the link.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

For now we are allowed to carry canes into places were other weapons are prohibited. I often wonder what will happen if those place demand you give up your canes at the entrance like they do knives, cell phones or other devices.
    Places like court houses and other government building come to mind. While my cane is an awesome weapon it is also necessary for me to get around.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    TSknight, that's a great site. Thanks for the link.
    You're welcome

I've never bought any of their canes, but the training videos have helped me adapt to my limits and still feel confident of taking care of myself.
    AZJD1968 and DRM like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    For now we are allowed to carry canes into places were other weapons are prohibited. I often wonder what will happen if those place demand you give up your canes at the entrance like they do knives, cell phones or other devices.
    Places like court houses and other government building come to mind. While my cane is an awesome weapon it is also necessary for me to get around.

Michael
    The American Disabilities Act would come into play. They could not stop you from bringing a cane into a courthouse setting. Although they may ask for some documentation showing that you really need it. Then again, If you were to start trouble with your cane, then they would answer with their guns. Although poking with the cane as described above is a good tactic, using it to swing at the legs or weapon bearing limbs (arms) cant be ignored. I practice both on my wooden "warposts". I use solo practice on basic combinations-blocking, striking to keep loose and ready.

Member Array Invisible Swordsman's Avatar
    "... Cold Steel Walkabout. It is the shape i want, also solid ash, so should do well not only for support but for SD. More importantly its more LEO friendly than those ninja canes that have sprung up all over the net"

I think the Walkabout looks more like a club than any of the other options mentioned in this thread. It's much thicker than it appears in the pictures, and will probably get more "attention". I got one a couple of years ago and was surprised at the size. I'm glad I didn't spend too much money on it.

Mark

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk44357 View Post
    I practice both on my wooden "warposts". I use solo practice on basic combinations-blocking, striking to keep loose and ready.
    I will practice those same cane tactics sometimes. And I do them on a Wavemaster portable bag that weighs 275 lbs.

I walk with a Cane Masters cane. They make them out of all kinds of woods. I have the Midnight Custom Street Walking Cane. Midnight Custom Street Walking Cane Midnight Custom Street Walking Cane [mdntcst] : Cane Masters!, Walking Canes for mobility, self-defense, exercise and rehabilitation
    It has a sharp pointed end at the end of the crook. It will take someone down real fast using the point on joints or pressure points.
    Mark Shuey has been innovative in his training concepts with the cane.
    DRM likes this.
    The Dragon has time and experience. Maturity has given him knowledge, strength, skill, wisdom and inner peace.
    Glock 26 Certified Glock Armorer
    Mossberg 590 12 ga.

It's choreographed, of course, but this scene with a cane wielded by Rutger Hauer in Blind Fury (starts at 7:00) gives some examples of how effective a cane can be even against multiple attackers:

The important point is that the cane can transfer almost all of your body weight in the direction you want. Swinging it like a bat does very little and is a strategy for keeping people away, or maybe slapping a weapon from a person's hand. But for full effect, make it an extension of your body.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

A few years ago I was fortunate enough to attend a cane seminar conducted by Cane Master Mark Shuy himself. I learned many intricate, very cool techniques. I bought all of his videos. I practiced one of Mark's cane katas over and over and developed a kata of my own. I have 4 Cane Master canes - excellent quality. But as the years go by, I find I don't remember all those cool moves. And frankly, I'm afraid that my sharp-pointed canes with all those notches cut in them would not pass TSA scrutiny.

I bought Michael Janich's Martial Cane Concepts, watched it, practiced for a half-hour or so, reviewed and practiced again the next week and now have a cane method that will be with me for life - simple, effective, natural. I also bought an attractive rattan cane that will pass through any security, and has just the right combination of weight and strength. It is now my "carry" cane of choice. I don't remember for sure, but I think I got it through Amazon.

I'm not knocking Mark's method. If you have the time for hundreds of reps and continued practice, you can become a cane master. It truly is good stuff. I especially like Mark's Mini Cane techniques for law enforcement. But for me, Michael's approach really clicked. I guarantee that if I don't practice a bit, you could approach me 5 years from now and I'll be able to use what Michael taught me without hesitation.
    DRM likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links