who uses a cane? - Page 3

who uses a cane?

This is a discussion on who uses a cane? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; “Hey, who’s this guy with the weapon?” My friend asked me that as another guy came walking toward us on the range. The guy was ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: who uses a cane?

Sponsor

Lightbulb

“Hey, who’s this guy with the weapon?”

My friend asked me that as another guy came walking toward us on the range. The guy was a disabled Vet and he was using a cane, heading our way. My friend is a student of the cane.

The cane is a formidable weapon for sure. And if you have to use one anyway (to help you walk) consider getting one you can fight with. Wooden canes are more socially acceptable and send up less flags.

I’m sure someone must offer a “Real Gimp Cane Class” for practical street defense for the elderly and disabled folks. Any suggestions???
    Last edited by DRM; February 11th, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Man I've been wanting to carry a cane for forever. But my wife always gets in my head and tells me not to and I'd look like an idiot because I'm not old enough to. I'd say just get a bob dummy or a punching bag and just practice beating the crap out of it with your awesome cold steel cane. I know that pimps used to carry them to beat the crap out of whoever. Canes are hardcore and the cold steel ones are great from what I've read.
    DRM likes this.

I've beeen training cane as part the FMA for over a decade. I prefer crooked top to straight stick. My own experience has shown thrusts above the waist and strikes below the waist work best. Cane Masters make great cane, I have nothing but good to say about them. The cane I like now is made by Ka Bar, so far it's held up very well. At over 2lbs it's got some thump.

http//:KA-BAR Aluminum Walking Cane 39" Overall - Knifecenter.com
    DRM likes this.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

IMHO: "Cane Fighting" is a lot like "Point Shooting" if you ask me...

I tell the young guys, "You can wait until you get to be my age and THEN learn how to Point Shoot or you can learn now."

Same holds true for the cane.
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

Ha ha, that's hilarious. I guess I'm off to get my cane now!

When my wife wants me to do something I always say "a carrot works better than a stick" and she says "but I like using a stick".
    DRM likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Carry one if you want to!

Quote Originally Posted by rcsaxby View Post
    Man I've been wanting to carry a cane for forever. But my wife always gets in my head and tells me not to and I'd look like an idiot because I'm not old enough to. I'd say just get a bob dummy or a punching bag and just practice beating the crap out of it with your awesome cold steel cane. I know that pimps used to carry them to beat the crap out of whoever. Canes are hardcore and the cold steel ones are great from what I've read.
    I have a nerve injury in my leg, which requires the use of a cane. Because I'm not that old, I'm ALWAYS getting looks, especially when I pull into a handicap parking spot. I can't count the number of times I've seen people, especially older people, give me the "evil eye" and actually wait for me to get out of my car!?!?!?! When they see the cane and limp, their expression changes, as if they're saying..."ok, she's one of us". However, my point is, if you want to get a cane to use as a weapon, go ahead and do it, but be prepared to be stared at. Especially if you don't have a noticeable limp.

Actually, although I've had guns for a long time, my nerve injury is what prompted me to get my CC permit. Now that I CAN'T run away, I've felt very vulnerable. I also feel like I have a big target on my back! I now feel MUCH safer, although I think I've gone a bit overboard on my "layers of defense". If I'm ever attacked, I have a 220 lumen light to first blind them, before I spray them with LE strength pepper spray. Then I draw my gun and knife. I also have handcuffs. BTW, I don't plan to handcuff anyone. I plan to "encourage" them to lie down on their stomach, toss them the handcuffs, "encourage" them to handcuff themselves, then call the police. I don't know if making someone handcuff themselves is any different than handcuffing someone yourself, but I think it's a safer way to do it...especially for someone like me. I'm thrown off balance VERY easily and have lost count of the number of times I've fallen (broken both legs and my wrist, not to mention numerous sprains). For this reason, I can't really use my cane as a weapon. My point is, my situation is quite different than most. I've heard the comments from others regarding handcuffing someone, but why should they be allowed to run off and not be held accountable for their actions?

Do your hand cuffs have that soft fuzzy stuff?

I have duct tape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnilson View Post
    I have a nerve injury in my leg, which requires the use of a cane. Because I'm not that old, I'm ALWAYS getting looks, especially when I pull into a handicap parking spot. I can't count the number of times I've seen people, especially older people, give me the "evil eye" and actually wait for me to get out of my car!?!?!?! When they see the cane and limp, their expression changes, as if they're saying..."ok, she's one of us". However, my point is, if you want to get a cane to use as a weapon, go ahead and do it, but be prepared to be stared at. Especially if you don't have a noticeable limp.

Actually, although I've had guns for a long time, my nerve injury is what prompted me to get my CC permit. Now that I CAN'T run away, I've felt very vulnerable. I also feel like I have a big target on my back! I now feel MUCH safer, although I think I've gone a bit overboard on my "layers of defense". If I'm ever attacked, I have a 220 lumen light to first blind them, before I spray them with LE strength pepper spray. Then I draw my gun and knife. I also have handcuffs. BTW, I don't plan to handcuff anyone. I plan to "encourage" them to lie down on their stomach, toss them the handcuffs, "encourage" them to handcuff themselves, then call the police. I don't know if making someone handcuff themselves is any different than handcuffing someone yourself, but I think it's a safer way to do it...especially for someone like me. I'm thrown off balance VERY easily and have lost count of the number of times I've fallen (broken both legs and my wrist, not to mention numerous sprains). For this reason, I can't really use my cane as a weapon. My point is, my situation is quite different than most. I've heard the comments from others regarding handcuffing someone, but why should they be allowed to run off and not be held accountable for their actions?
    Based on what you wrote in total, I think you would be wise to find a well rounded self-defense instructor who can tailor something for your needs. Several of the remarks you make suggest that without some professional help, you will remain helpless. Specifically, "I can't really use a cane," coupled with the other remarks about balance and broken bones.

You do realize it will take some balance to reach for your flashlight; that you might need to use it as an impact tool --or be able to use it for that if shown how; that reaching for either pepper or a gun might be difficult for you with your array of problems.

Rather than be discouraged or feel helpless, why not try to find someone who can work with you on an SD strategy the way a physical therapist might.

I don't like the handcuff thing. My opinion, it just doesn't sound right; possibly isn't legal where you are, and could end up being
    used against you when you toss it to said BG to use on himself. You really don't think a BG is going to meakly follow the instructions of someone struggling to keep their balance and hold on to a gun at the same time? They'll take that from you too
    and kill you with it unless you have worked on learning how to use it---that is true for everyone-- and not just the disabled.
    DRM and Old School like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I really appreciate your input, but I may have overstated my vulnerabilities (today was a bad day for me...lots of walking and my leg was KILLING me as I wrote that post). I don't have to struggle to maintain my balance anymore. I've improved to the point that I can walk without the cane, but use it all the time anyway as a promise to my mother). It's just that I can still be thrown off balance if not prepared. I shoot my .45 quite well without my cane and always carry the flashlight (surprisingly small for how bright it is) and pepper spray in my spare hand, when it's nighttime, I'm alone (usually not the case) and have some distance to walk (ex: leaving the mall). Although I may have come off as being as helpless as a kitten (initially I was), that is no longer the case. My nerve injury has been repaired (my surgery was almost 2 years ago and the fractures occurred during the first year of recovery). I haven't fallen in almost 6 months, I'm getting stronger and will continue to improve, but it may take a couple of more years. Although I am getting stronger, I don't yet feel comfortable using my cane as a weapon. I'm not sure I'm ready to use any type of impact tool, hence the really bright light and pepper spray. I may be deluding myself, but I do feel that this will give me the time to draw my gun (I keep a round in the chamber). I practice these techniques often as I know that I need to build the muscle memory necessary for this approach to work. Also, I go to the gun range at least 2-3 times a month and have become a pretty good shot. In fact, I don't remember the last time I missed a head shot from 7-10 yards. No one can prepare for every situation but I have put quite a bit of thought into various scenarios. However, your recommendation regarding SD training is a great idea. I'll start looking for someone. Thanks again for your input.
    Last edited by dnilson; March 8th, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Senior Moderator
    I've actually considered making a cane more than a cane. I've studied some of the 19th century designs of cane guns, and I think if one was built that was practical it could be marketed as an AOW with a 5.00 Tax stamp.

I think that there are enough people out there with CHLs that might buy one if they were reasonably priced.

My Dad got his leg chopped off last summer and uses a cane. He has mentioned that he would carry on cane gun if I made him one. I am considering doing that. I dont think it would be too difficult to fabricate one that held several shots, it would be almost indistinguishable from a regular cane and wouldnt arouse any suspicion.

With modern technology advances since they were popular in the 1800's I think its doable.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsor

Lightbulb

The only problem with a cane gun is it's single shot...

Might be nice in .410/.45 Long Colt though.

Nice thing about canes:

1. They never jam.

2. They never need to be reloaded.

3. Instant access, much faster than the gun because it's already in hand.

If you have to use a cane for your handicap, might as well learn how to use right.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I've actually considered making a cane more than a cane. I've studied some of the 19th century designs of cane guns, and I think if one was built that was practical it could be marketed as an AOW with a 5.00 Tax stamp.

I think that there are enough people out there with CHLs that might buy one if they were reasonably priced.

My Dad got his leg chopped off last summer and uses a cane. He has mentioned that he would carry on cane gun if I made him one. I am considering doing that. I dont think it would be too difficult to fabricate one that held several shots, it would be almost indistinguishable from a regular cane and wouldnt arouse any suspicion.

With modern technology advances since they were popular in the 1800's I think its doable.
    I'd buy one and I think A LOT of others would too!!!!
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, Glock 30SF, Colt 1911 GCT (all .45ACP),
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357MAG/.38SP), Judge (.410G/.45LC)

Long guns: Daniel Defense AR-15's (M4V4 and M4V5), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22;LR)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnilson View Post
    I really appreciate your input, but I may have overstated my vulnerabilities (today was a bad day for me...lots of walking and my leg was KILLING me as I wrote that post). I don't have to struggle to maintain my balance anymore. I've improved to the point that I can walk without the cane, but use it all the time anyway as a promise to my mother). It's just that I can still be thrown off balance if not prepared. I shoot my .45 quite well without my cane and always carry the flashlight (surprisingly small for how bright it is) and pepper spray in my spare hand, when it's nighttime, I'm alone (usually not the case) and have some distance to walk (ex: leaving the mall). Although I may have come off as being as helpless as a kitten (initially I was), that is no longer the case. My nerve injury has been repaired (my surgery was almost 2 years ago and the fractures occurred during the first year of recovery). I haven't fallen in almost 6 months, I'm getting stronger and will continue to improve, but it may take a couple of more years. Although I am getting stronger, I don't yet feel comfortable using my cane as a weapon. I'm not sure I'm ready to use any type of impact tool, hence the really bright light and pepper spray. I may be deluding myself, but I do feel that this will give me the time to draw my gun (I keep a round in the chamber). I practice these techniques often as I know that I need to build the muscle memory necessary for this approach to work. Also, I go to the gun range at least 2-3 times a month and have become a pretty good shot. In fact, I don't remember the last time I missed a head shot from 7-10 yards. No one can prepare for every situation but I have put quite a bit of thought into various scenarios. However, your recommendation regarding SD training is a great idea. I'll start looking for someone. Thanks again for your input.
    Regarding what I put in bold: SD training can also be very therapeutic both for coordination/balance issues and mental
    calmness. You just have to pick the instructor very carefully so it is someone who can tailor things to your abilities and to your disabilities, and also to your need for physical rehabilitation.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

It would be wise to check your State Laws before purchasing a cane specifically designed as a weapon. In Oklahoma it is illegal to carry a "loaded cane". I have been told that this would be a cane weighted on one end or the other making it more useful as a weapon.

Michael

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links