who uses a cane? - Page 4

who uses a cane?

This is a discussion on who uses a cane? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It would be wise to check your State Laws before purchasing a cane specifically designed as a weapon. In Oklahoma it is illegal to carry ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: who uses a cane?

Senior Moderator
    It would be wise to check your State Laws before purchasing a cane specifically designed as a weapon. In Oklahoma it is illegal to carry a "loaded cane". I have been told that this would be a cane weighted on one end or the other making it more useful as a weapon.
    Or course, thats always the case. If your state allows you to own an AOW( any other weapon) then its not an issue. Pay the 5.00 tax stamp and be legal.

It would be covered under the CHL unless the state specifically prohibits it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Or course, thats always the case. If your state allows you to own an AOW( any other weapon) then its not an issue. Pay the 5.00 tax stamp and be legal.

It woud be covered under the CHL unless the state specificialy prohibits it.
    This is what people need to be aware. Many do not understand that there are weapons you can own and keep in your home but are illegal to carry. Here in Oklahoma I can legally own switch blades, brass knuckles and sword canes. I cannot legally carry any of these items with me on my walks around town.

Michael

Oh! this thread is for the old folks

A club is not legal to carry in Texas but a cane is. I like a heavy knob for striking but against a firearm I don't like a cane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a cold steel cane sword. It is a little heavy and cannot be cut to adjust to your height. Although I have heard the theories on proper cane fighting, I would attempt to use it as a blugeon, targeting the knees or shins. Something that I don't see being talked about is the attacker grabbing the defense tool and trying to rip it out of the hands of the person weilding it. Many experts also forget that most street fights end up in a wrestling match on the ground. Grabbing for the weapon seems like a very likely scenario if the attacker can't be quickly stopped. In the case of the cane sword the attacker would get a nasty suprise if they were successful in unsheathing the sword.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    A club is not legal to carry in Texas but a cane is. I like a heavy knob for striking but against a firearm I don't like a cane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's sports equipment, not a club.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    It's sports equipment, not a club.
    Its whatever the cops that sees you with it wants it to be.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Oh! this thread is for the old folks
    Hey, YOU'RE reading it, and under your name it says "Senior Member"...

Rock and Glock and DRM like this.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Its whatever the cops that sees you with it wants it to be.

Michael
    Sadly true.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by mwhich50 View Post
    I have a cold steel cane sword. It is a little heavy and cannot be cut to adjust to your height. Although I have heard the theories on proper cane fighting, I would attempt to use it as a blugeon, targeting the knees or shins. Something that I don't see being talked about is the attacker grabbing the defense tool and trying to rip it out of the hands of the person weilding it. Many experts also forget that most street fights end up in a wrestling match on the ground. Grabbing for the weapon seems like a very likely scenario if the attacker can't be quickly stopped. In the case of the cane sword the attacker would get a nasty suprise if they were successful in unsheathing the sword.
    Thrusts or "bayoneting" should be primarily used above the waist. This lessens the possiblity of the cane being grabbed. If the cane is grabbed, long gun counter disarming techniques work well. This is another point in favor of the crooked top cane over the walking stick. The crook gives the advantage in the abilty to grip the cane.

Louisiana, like many states, has the scheme what with restriction from CC in establishments that serve alcohol for consumption on premesis. To provide some kind of protection, I have a very nice full size crook-handle umbrella with the non-rubber tip that religiously accompanies me out on dinner date night with the little lady. Hey, you never know when the rain is coming in the South, not to mention it makes me feel a little better....but not as good as if it worked the same way as the Penguin's did in Batman Returns...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

I have knees that act up from time to time so I use one of these.

Harvy Solid Cast Brass Handle Cane | Wheelchair Select

The head is rather heavy, and the cane is sturdy. I have taken it with me on my last two work related trips and it is allowed on a plane. I'm, sure the handle thrusted into someones ribs, solar plexus, or chin area would definitely be an attention getter.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Sponsor

Cool

You get style points from me for sure on that one, really classy!

I like the "Bat Masterson" look on mine, but the hook cane is great for retention after the strike (or poke). It has other advantages as well...
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by rick21 View Post
    Thrusts or "bayoneting" should be primarily used above the waist. This lessens the possiblity of the cane being grabbed. If the cane is grabbed, long gun counter disarming techniques work well. This is another point in favor of the crooked top cane over the walking stick. The crook gives the advantage in the abilty to grip the cane.
    Right on...

DON'T HIT ME!! That's how I feel when I see an old guy with a stick.
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor
    My friend loaned me some "Cane Masters" training tapes (VHS) and they are the bomb!

And they do make some Cool looking (socially acceptable) fighting canes, too. Thanks for the info guys.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links