who uses a cane?

This is a discussion on who uses a cane? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being on the near side of 60 I have found that the cane has become my daily companion. My usual carry has been a drug ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: who uses a cane?

who uses a cane?

Being on the near side of 60 I have found that the cane has become my daily companion. My usual carry has been a drug store special that is made from solid ash. Since i often work out with a straight stick, I have been in seach of a cane with similar feel to it. This tuesday i will be getting a Cold Steel Walkabout. It is the shape i want, also solid ash, so should do well not only for support but for SD. More importantly its more LEO friendly than those ninja canes that have sprung up all over the net. So do you carry? What do you use? What training, if any?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I occasionally use a hickory cane with a brass hame head that I made from inch-and-a-quarter dowel. I am tall and weigh close on 400 lbs, and laugh at the drugstore canes made for 90 lb grandmas. (No slam on you if you found a decent one there, of course - you may have better drugstores in your area.) I really don't want to stumble, have a cane break, and come down and impale myself on a shattered spike of wood. I also like the idea of the cane staying in one piece should I have to ever use it for self-defense, God forbid.

Attached is a photo of a hame-topped one-inch cane I also made; I can't find the stouter one (which kinda answers your original post, I guess). The larger diameter stick is just under the same diameter as the brass at the attachment point - I had to carve out the end of the stick to inset the brass head.

cane.JPG

I have the video Martial Cane Concepts by Michael Janich and highly recommend it. See the review I wrote at Cane-fighting DVD? (Merged, with review) - lots of other links mentioned by others on that thread as well. I can't say I've done much training, though: thanks for the push to do so.

And welcome to the forum!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Seen nice canes with an 8 ball on the end. Leaving aside the batons, which tend to be illegal in locations, a cane with a really tight hard end to it should be considered as a good alternative to CC, if CC is not allowed under certain circumstances. Somehow the idea of whacking some smartyadayada in the side of head with an 8 ball, as he gives me attitude and his gimme your money demand, sounds pleasantly appealing.

Don't consider using your cane as a 'club'. It's much better used as a stop-thrust kind of implement. IMO, it's too long, generally to be swung and a stop-thrust or keep away is very abrupt and can give you time to draw or deploy a non-lethal followup device. When the BG comes up suddenly put the tip of the cane on his chest, pectoral or hip area and he'll be stopped in his tracks. Try it. It also is fairly low-key and doesn't leave a mark. If you use it as a club and miss you're in trouble since I don't think you can backstroke it very well given the length.

Cool

The video:

Martial Cane Concepts by Michael D. Janich

Paladin Press

It is an excellent source of information for the everyday cane user.

It is very basic and simple to apply using a standard crooked head cane.

Below is my cane along with some other weapons outside of the firearm.

photo.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Janich is better than most, eschewing the old 'hooking' techniques and stuff that 20 year olds do in a dojo.

Note near the end where he shows how a baton technique is problematic, telegraphic and slow.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
    Don't consider using your cane as a 'club'. It's much better used as a stop-thrust kind of implement. IMO, it's too long, generally to be swung and a stop-thrust or keep away is very abrupt and can give you time to draw or deploy a non-lethal followup device. When the BG comes up suddenly put the tip of the cane on his chest, pectoral or hip area and he'll be stopped in his tracks. Try it. It also is fairly low-key and doesn't leave a mark. If you use it as a club and miss you're in trouble since I don't think you can backstroke it very well given the length.
    Still going to whack the hell out of him.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I recently inured my foot and used a cane / stick for a month or so.

I bought a Cold Steel Slim Stick.

This thing is amazingly strong (the shaft is mandren spun carbon fiber) and light. You could definitely lay a hurtin on someone with one.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Canes, staves, sticks are all great weapons. In the system I train in, we work mostly with the lever aspect, and don't swing it much. Much better as a poking, thrusting tool. In close quarters, it's devastating. Personally, I would stay away from any kind of cane that has a weighted end. Better to have it balanced so you can flip it, rotate it smoothly with your hands.

If you do get a weighted end, then it's basically going to work for you like a bat or something. And that's fine, sure. But if you want to enjoy the advantages of a cane as a tool for transferring weight and power, and concentrating it in vectors, then a balanced stick will really perform well in combat.
    Hopyard likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I have been carrying a heavy wooden cane for some years now. I have used it with a thrusting motion many times against attacking dogs.

Michael

Thanks for the video link, new one to me. I agree with much of Janich's methods. There is a good one on targeting with the cane posted at Personal Defense Networks web site. Of course I dont rely only on the cane for SD, but its a good option to have "in the bag" so to speak.

I used one while traveling. It was very handy. A Cold Steel City Slicker.

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk44357 View Post
    Thanks for the video link, new one to me. I agree with much of Janich's methods. There is a good one on targeting with the cane posted at Personal Defense Networks web site. Of course I dont rely only on the cane for SD, but its a good option to have "in the bag" so to speak.
    I have some stick-fighting training, so I don't make the comment not to use it as a club lightly. In fact if you have a metal cane (hollow) and you swing and break it, guess what, no more utility as a cane. Certainly if the attacker is swinging a stick and I have a cane I would use it to block and shield (umbrella block), but against an unarmed person, it's best use is to poke and jam, even two handed. If you just have an umbrella, try using it as a two-handed poke. It strengthens it held that way. HTH

VIP Member
    Thrust between opponents legs; thwack upward into you know what; then twist to the outside to cause a spill.

Or, use like a kayak oar for rapid hits from two sides; smash into throat area.

Use a short swift thwack to wrist disarm a knife or a gun. Follow with thwack to side of head and a kick to private parts.

Of course it is all ridiculously easy to imagine and not so easy in the real world while being pressed by someone meaner.
    Rock and Glock and shockwave like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk44357 View Post
    Being on the near side of 60 I have found that the cane has become my daily companion. My usual carry has been a drug store special that is made from solid ash. Since i often work out with a straight stick, I have been in seach of a cane with similar feel to it. This tuesday i will be getting a Cold Steel Walkabout. It is the shape i want, also solid ash, so should do well not only for support but for SD. More importantly its more LEO friendly than those ninja canes that have sprung up all over the net. So do you carry? What do you use? What training, if any?
    I've used one for one month when I sprained my MCL about 3 yrs. ago. I bought the cane at a drug store but is is pretty heavy enough to do the job. As for training, I have trained in the PR-24 for military police, Filipino stickfighting, and the bo staff. I can pretty much use their principles in the applied use of the cane. I have also purchased a video on the use of the cane from Michael Janich as a supplement/refresher to what I have already learned.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links