Spyderco or Benchmade? What steel?

This is a discussion on Spyderco or Benchmade? What steel? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be getting a new knife here shortly and want different opinions. I have a Delica vg-10 that I love and sold ...

Thread: Spyderco or Benchmade? What steel?

I am going to be getting a new knife here shortly and want different opinions. I have a Delica vg-10 that I love and sold me on nicer knives. I have been looking at a Benchmade. I'm open to models as long as it has the axis. I see most of their knives are 154-cm. I am also looking at the Spyderco Manix 2 or Paramilitary 2. I have the option of 154-cm or s30v. Is the s30v worth the price? Are there any models that I should take a look at? Let's keep it at $150.

I know that a knife forum may be a better place but I've been here a very long time even though I don't post much. I respect the opinions of most here more than some random person online. Thanks all.

154CM is not going to have the edge retention that S30V does, but it's much, much easier to sharpen and maintain. IMO, the 154CM would be my choice for a knife I was going to use for a lot of cutting chores. VG10 is in between the steels you mentioned.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Some of the best, most detailed knife reviews on the internet is Nutnfancy on YouTube.

Go to his channel and do a search for Benchmade and Spyderco in his search box. He has done hundreds of reviews on those two brands alone.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I prefer Spyderco of the two, and S30V is probably my favorite steel. I think it is easier to sharpen than 154cm but YMMV.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

I like Spyderco because I can get the wave feature, I will no longer carry a knife that doesn't have the wave. I have a Kershaw blur with s30v and that steel has yet to impress me.

John

My Spyderco Delica VG-10 really holds an edge. Best knife I've ever had..........
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Yeah the delica vg-10 is awesome. I've been doing research on why each steel is known for. More than anything I'm looking for personal opinions of people that have used several of the models listed. I appreciate all the input thus far.

154CM and S30V are all I buy.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy 2 View Post
    I like Spyderco because I can get the wave feature, I will no longer carry a knife that doesn't have the wave. I have a Kershaw blur with s30v and that steel has yet to impress me.

John
    My Griptilian has a wave feature ;)

Doesn't look as good, but works equally as well. I have a Emerson CQC-15 with a real genuine "wave".

I've never had a Spyderco, but I have a few Benchmades and I speak very highly of them. As far as the steel, I'm no expert, but of all the steels I used (I have not used s30v) I love 154CM. I think it holds a great edge over AUS8, 440C and other cheaper stuff. I've been longing for a Spyderco for awhile.

My main carry knives are between my two Griptilians, my Emerson or my HK Alley knife I beat on a work.

My Delica does have the wave. I like it but at times seems a bit too big. I think the Emerson or the famed zip tie would be more my speed if looking for one again. Big enough to open but not so big it's constantly getting caught in my pocket.

I personally like Cold Steel. Ever see the CS challenge and what they put those knives through? Some of them are locked down in a vice and torqued almost to the 3 O'clock angle without breaking. They're so razor sharp it's not funny and easy to hone up if you do manage to dull one (they cut 2x4's in half, sometimes several of them, hemp rope- a larger knife will sever several 1" pieces of hanging hemp, sides of ribs or hanging meat roasts are severed like nothing)! You can pay a large amount for a good knife that you might very well lose as well. Personally I would rather have one that works and won't break if I have to cut/slash/beat/pry or whatever with it. Some are prone to breaking the tip off. The steel that CS uses is tested to prevent this, along with rust resistance. Go to youtube and check some of the videos. They're wicked.

I have a good number of Spydercos with S30v, and all hold a great edge. I like CPM M4 and Hatachi ZDP-189 even better, but they are pricey and also not stainless. My EDC is a Spyderco Stretch CF with ZDP-189 - probably the best all-around knife that I've ever owned. I prefer Spyderco over Benchmade.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I really don't think you can go wrong either way regardless if you go with 154Cm or S30V. They are both quality steels and will serve you well. My Griptilian is 154CM and it was razor sharp right out of the box. You can tell by looking at it, its a quality blade. Unfortunately, I can't tell you about blade retention because I don't do any cutting with it. I reserve it for SD duty.

Nutnfancy, on the other hand, has a lot of good things to say about the S30V. I get the impression from how he talks about it, its a premium grade steel. I plan on getting a Griptilian in S30V just for the sake of having an S30V blade. If I do get one though, I won't think any less of my 154CM.

I don't believe anyone can really make you any recommendations because they don't know your finances and your comfort level. If the 154CM is all I could afford, I wouldn't feel cheated or under-bladed (I think I just made that word up). On the other hand, if you're the kind of guy that appreciates premium products and don't mind spending more to get them, then I'd say the S30V will fit the bill. Perhaps you could get one now and another at a later moment. ;-)

Please let us know what you decide to do.

Do some research on each particular steel because each have their advatnages and disadvantages and some steels perform better when sharpened at different angles than what the factory set them at.

I have a benchmade rift (folder w/axis lock) and benchmade nim cub II (3.5" fixed)

Both are in 154cm steel and both have been excellent knives.

I used the rift to make some last minute adjustments to a piece of drywall and it cut better than my box cutter with fresh razor blade!
    The Nim Cub II is pretty much for SD use only and so far I havent had to deploy it.

Spyderco also makes a great knife, but their designs never appealed to me.

Kershaw also makes some excellent models in s30v My current EDC folder is a kershaw Blur w/ZDP-189 steel composite blade and carbide tip glass breaker in handle.

I think S30V, VG10 & 154CM are all in the same range as quality knife steels go. They are very popular and in the same general price range.

S30V & VG10 may hold their edge a little bit longer than 154CM, but in the scheme of things, not a whole lot of difference. The 154CM will sharpen easier so it kind of negates the longer edge retention of the others. And in the end, I don't think it's a very noticeable difference for most users. All three are decent quality for blade use.

If I like the style and features of a given knife, I wouldn't give it up just to get one of the other steels. At least of the three steels I've mentioned.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sponsored Links