Easiest folder deployment system

This is a discussion on Easiest folder deployment system within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently swtiched my drfensive folder from my strong side to my weak side to make room for a leatherman skeletool which has a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easiest folder deployment system

Easiest folder deployment system

I have recently swtiched my drfensive folder from my strong side to my weak side to make room for a leatherman skeletool which has a pretty good knife on it. It is also a bit more socially acceptable than my sypderco endura 4. The issue is that I'm not very good with my left hand. What deployment system or specific knife do you think is the easiest to deploy? I know practice will help but Id like to explore other knife options as well. Also, please exclude knives with a wave feature.

Thanks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I generally carry a CRKT M-16/14T (CRKT M16-14T EDC Knives from Kit Carson), and believe it to be among the easiest opening systems to manipulate with either hand.

ETA: Using the protruding "lever" on the back of the knife, not the "thumb studs," which I have never found very helpful.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I carry a Spyderco and love the thumb hole design. The thumb pegs don't agree with me.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I generally carry a CRKT M-16/14T (CRKT M16-14T EDC Knives from Kit Carson), and believe it to be among the easiest opening systems to manipulate with either hand.

ETA: Using the protruding "lever" on the back of the knife, not the "thumb studs," which I have never found very helpful.
    Because of the flipper design?

edit - You got your edit in the same time I was asking the question lol.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Yes, the "flipper." Easily manipulated by the index finger, doesn't require much effort, simple and straighforward. I need simple and straightforward. :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Good option and I think these are available in an assisted version also.
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Yes, the "flipper." Easily manipulated by the index finger, doesn't require much effort, simple and straighforward. I need simple and straightforward. :)

Sog Aegis assisted or the FlashII either 1 is super easy to open.

Is there a reason to exclude the wave??

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Is there a reason to exclude the wave??
    Tried it and didn't like it left handed.

I'm newly partial to the Cold Steel Rajah III. The disk on the blade opens it as you pull it from your pocket. If you want to draw it and keep it closed you can turn the handle towards you as you draw and it won't catch the pocket. That works for me since under stress it opens easy, if you have time to think about it it's easy to keep it closed. Think of it that under stress it defaults to "open and ready" mode. And I'm a lefty and carry it lefty.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I carry Gerber applegate folders. I found also the thumb stud too short, but love the knife. Since the studs are hollow. i added an 8p nail cut off around 1/8 inch on the head. Now i can easily index the stud/nail for a quick and positive opening.

Kershaw
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Tried it and didn't like it left handed.
    - Did you have an issue with Emerson knives since they are right handed carry by default? If so, Spyderco has the Delica and Endura Wave already tapped for left handed carry.

For non-assisted knives other than the Wave, I think knives with IKBS are the smoothest and fastest.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Kershaw Rogue. Kinda big but very fast, even for an auto, which it is.

Benchmade Barrage has a nice assisted opening feature.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links