Expandable Batons does anyone here carry one?

This is a discussion on Expandable Batons does anyone here carry one? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering does anyone on this forum carry expandable batons on a day to day basis? Im planning on purchasing one to carry in ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Expandable Batons does anyone here carry one?

Expandable Batons does anyone here carry one?

I was wondering does anyone on this forum carry expandable batons on a day to day basis? Im planning on purchasing one to carry in my car also if you know what brand is a good one i would like to know.

2. Remove Ads

My favorite is the Autolock by Monadnock. I had two made by ASP before that. One broke, and one bent. And I hated having to slam the thing on the ground to close it. I also found the ASP collapsed during jabs which wasn't good at all. The Autolock does just that, (locks!) and you push a button to release it without ground tapping.

With all of that being said, I don't personally recommend a baton unless you get some training with it. And, it may be illegal in certain places, so check the law carefully. It would be ironic to carry your gun legally, but to get arrested for a baton.
    ironmike86 likes this.

Why bother with the legality of carrying a baton? Just go to any truck stop and get yourself a tire thumper. They can be just as effective and nowhere near as expensive.

JerryMac, msgt/ret and NH_Esau like this.

My FL CCP covers all manner of weapons. I prefer the 8" black jack. It lives in the side map pocket for a "less than lethal" scenario. There's probably some real old school cops here that used a similar tool in their careers before they all started carrying tazers and chemicals. Quick little tap behind the ear: lights out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    My FL CCP covers all manner of weapons. I prefer the 8" black jack. It lives in the side map pocket for a "less than lethal" scenario. There's probably some real old school cops here that used a similar tool in their careers before they all started carrying tazers and chemicals. Quick little tap behind the ear: lights out.

Boy does that black jack bring back memories from the past! I used mine to knock on doors, and break the ice off the gas pump.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    If you carry one and call it your collapsible back scratcher is it still a weapon??? :)
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Don't be too overconfident about that tap behind the ear. I saw a man hit really hard 5 or 6 times with a similar sap and it didn't come close to stopping him. I saw another man hit hard behind the ear with a police baton and he kept fighting. When he was hit in the knee with the same baton, he went down.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutrodoc View Post
    Don't be too overconfident about that tap behind the ear. I saw a man hit really hard 5 or 6 times with a similar sap and it didn't come close to stopping him. I saw another man hit hard behind the ear with a police baton and he kept fighting. When he was hit in the knee with the same baton, he went down.
    That's why it's paired with a .357 :)
    JerryMac likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post

Interestingly, while legal to possess and carry (if you have a CWFL), it a criminal offense to sell or offer for sale a blackjack or similar implement in Florida.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I have one in each of my vehicles, but it is legal in my state, not sure about yours. I honestly have never felt the need to carry it....that job goes to my XD.

One is an ASP that I purchased first, the second one is an Autolock Monadnock. I 2nd the opinion above to choose the Autolock. The ASP is a bear to close if you don't have a really hard surface.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

After some googling, it appears batons are legal to carry in NC as long as they are not concealed. However, IME, if you are stopped driving, perhaps doing something you shouldn't, having a 'weapon' in your car, say under the seat, could be used as a 'pile on' charge. Most of the time it's about intent.

As to a workable baton, bear in mind that it's hard to have one in your possession when you suddenly need it. Having said that, I'd suggest you look at external carry options in your choice of baton as a primary option.

Administrator
    In Pennsylvania a Flat SAP or a Baton is considered to be a bludgeoning instrument and not legal for citizen carry.
    Along with Knucks & switchblades & daggers.
    Leave it to a politician to suck all the doggone fun out of life.

PA. is one of the greatest "no hassle" states to carry a firearm (AKA I've never even seen a Guns sign and there are no bar or alcohol or vehicle or eatery restrictions) but, all of the other good stuff is a Bozo No-No. Though a butterfly knife is OK (I personally think they are kinda dumb) and PA law is silent on "carry knife" blade length so that's at least something good.

We're good to go on Stun Guns & OC spray though.
    Oldpsufan likes this.

I carry one on a daily basis, but the only time I have ever used it was to break a windshield to get access to an idiot during a felony stop, who apparently thought if he locked the doors we would just go away.

I always take it with me overseas with a can of pepper spray when I can't carry a sidearm. It saved my bacon in Durbin South Africa during a mugging attempt.
    Thylacine likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Cool

I keep and ASP, affectionately referred to as an acronym meaning " a steel pipe " baton in my vehicle more as a momento from my days on the job than anything else.

I like pepper spray as the non-lethal alternative to my SD handgun.

I think that it's important to have some training with an impact weapon before carrying one for SD.

Certain strikes are considered lethal force and if you are not justified in using lethal force then it can be a problem.

The best strikes for collapsible type batons are usually extremedies because of the limited surface area of the impact weapon itself.

The definition of an impact weapon for me is a 24" rounded piece of hardwood.

Image.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I bought a Mag light to carry in my truck, works just as well as a baton and legal no matter what. Helps when you break down too at night.

3d cell ones have a good range too
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links