So, you want to carry a tactical pen? - Page 2

So, you want to carry a tactical pen?

This is a discussion on So, you want to carry a tactical pen? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; - This is a nice model, especially for the cost. I find it to be solid & easy to handle - plus it's useful for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: So, you want to carry a tactical pen?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    This is a nice model, especially for the cost. I find it to be solid & easy to handle - plus it's useful for writing as well.

Amazon.com: Smith & Wesson SWPENMPBK Military and Police Tactical Pen, Black: Home Improvement

P.S. I just blacked out the S&W logos with a permanent marker.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I carry my Schrade in my shirt pocket every day.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Depends on what your definition of a joke is I guess. If its in your shirt pocket only the very top will be visible anyway.
    Its just another tool, and just because you own or carry a tool does not mean you know how to use it. Just like a handgun. Most people in general including members here have never even been in a physical fight in their adult life and have no hand to hand/martial arts combat training of any kind. If a larger and stronger man gets his hands on you a tool like a pen may be a viable weapon to give you some needed advantage. If you know how to use it. Most people would be better off working out regularly and just getting in some semblance of shape, and then get some basic martial arts training. Fat Twinkies tire quickly and don't fight very well.

Out of curiosity is this one of the type of pens you would call silly?
    KZ Stinger Practical Tactical Pen

I wouldn't refer to that one as silly, this one I would TAC-092 - United Defense Pen Gun Metal 6061 Hard Anodized Aluminum

I think I should have clarified a bit, What I'm actually looking for is a "discreet" pen. meaning some are more likely to be identified as a weapon.

The Embassy Pen from CountyComm is a good example. Note the texturing on the body.

In fact, this was the pen that pretty much started the whole EDC craze. If you know what you're doing, a pen of any type can be an effective tool you can get through a checkpoint.
    DefConGun likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Depends on what your definition of a joke is I guess. If its in your shirt pocket only the very top will be visible anyway.
    Its just another tool, and just because you own or carry a tool does not mean you know how to use it. Just like a handgun. Most people in general including members here have never even been in a physical fight in their adult life and have no hand to hand/martial arts combat training of any kind. If a larger and stronger man gets his hands on you a tool like a pen may be a viable weapon to give you some needed advantage. If you know how to use it. Most people would be better off working out regularly and just getting in some semblance of shape, and then get some basic martial arts training. Fat Twinkies tire quickly and don't fight very well.

Out of curiosity is this one of the type of pens you would call silly?
    KZ Stinger Practical Tactical Pen
    My sentiment, exactly. Its true that any idiot can jab a pen into someone's eye. For that matter, if that is going to be your only skill-set then why even spend the money on a tac pen? Any cheap plastic pen readily available at Wal-Mart can be used to poke an eye out. I would imagine that any of the cheapies could also pierce a perp's neck if its held in a fashion where you're fist reinforces the pen by holding the majority of the pen's body accordingly. Its a gross misconception to believe that you're completely prepared to defend yourself by simply purchasing a tac pen. You have two fists also, does that make you a boxer? To extract the full potential of tac pens, its important to have appropriate training. It would be misfortunate for someone to delude themselves and believe their tac pen is going to be the solution to a SD situation only to find at the last minute that they really don't know how to effectively use it. If anything, the thing can be a liability if you don't know how to use it. How sad would it be if your tac pen was taken from you and used against you because you didn't have appropriate retention skills?

A tac pen is another tool in your SD arsenal and like any of those tools, its imperative to be cognizant on appropriate application.
    Thumper, shockwave and yooperdug like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Given the likelyhood of loss and not wanting a pen that will be identified as a weapon, I think the Zebra is the one for me! Thanks for the suggestion!
    I got the idea from another member here on a similar thread. I've had one for about a year and love it. What I really like is the threaded tip is solid metal too. I believe you can use some of the space pen refills if you absolutely need to write upside down or underwater, lol. I mostly find mine at Walmart.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    I have to agree with DefConGun, good argument!

To me there are a lot of resources available to use as a weapon. Perhaps if I was flying someplace I might consider a tactical pen but I have no plan of ever going through an airport if I can help it.
    So to add the pen to my weapon and knives is an expense I don't need. Everyone has to draw the line someplace! I stopped wearing body armor when I surrendered my badge.

But I like DefConGun's thinking and if I ever did start using a tactical pen, it would be a good idea to learn some tactics!

Thumper
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I like the F401 and 402
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    I think a tactical pen can be a legitimate weapon if you have proper training. Without training, its pretty much just a pen. With training, its a pen and another tool in your arsenal.
    Practically anything can be a legitimate weapon if you have the proper training.

Just ask the assassin who was on the receiving end of Jason Bourne's rolled up magazine!!! (half joking)
    Last edited by kerberos; February 13th, 2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I like the F401 and 402
    I love the F-402. I prefer the medium tips, so next time I will buy the 1.0mm refills. I've been using these off and on for probably 12 years now.

This would be good for my wife who is a HS teacher.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Another Zebra 701 fan
    Chalk up another one here.

Did the easily-Googled changes (swap parts with Zebra 402 + Fisher space pen refill). Writes nicely for a ballpoint and is very solid.

Only if I can draw Tactical Guns and Bullets,to tactically waste the BG stick people
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here are two Zebra 701s and couple Sharpies that I carry. One Sharpie is a fine point and the other is normal sharpie point. Granted they are not as strong as a "tactical" pen but they don't raise anyone's suspicion either. I am not as well trained with them as other people may be, however I have trained with them doing rapid hammer fist strikes.

4Pens.jpg
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links