HideAwayKnife Questions

HideAwayKnife Questions

This is a discussion on HideAwayKnife Questions within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be getting my chl in the next couple of months and I will be enrolling the Texas DPS academy, most likely near this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HideAwayKnife Questions

HideAwayKnife Questions

I will be getting my chl in the next couple of months and I will be enrolling the Texas DPS academy, most likely near this time next year. I am looking into getting a HAK knife to carry on my belt both on and off duty. It will most likely become the only knife I carry.

I will most likely carry on my weakside when on duty so that I can use it if a suspect ever trys to grab my gun. So then I guess I'll carry it the same when off-duty so I know exactly where it is every time and will have the muscle memory to employ it quickly.

Know can anyone tell me about their choice of blade stye, how well it cuts, how easy it is to sharpen, and what you use yours for. Also is yours wrapped with paracord? What are the advantages? Is it more secure or comfortable? Is the speed of draw any quicker or slower?

I really like the Hybrid model, especially the ones done by Strider. And I really think thats the one I'm going to get.

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    Know can anyone tell me about their choice of blade stye, how well it cuts, how easy it is to sharpen, and what you use yours for. Also is yours wrapped with paracord? What are the advantages? Is it more secure or comfortable? Is the speed of draw any quicker or slower?
    Like most people who carry a gun (and many who do not), I carry a knife clipped in my pocket, specifically an Emerson CQC-7. While I primarily use my knife for cutting chores, I also rely on it to assist in weapon retention, as an escape tool for chokes/holds and as a last ditch defensive weapon.

The problem I found with the knife clipped to the pocket was that it was not always readily accessible to assist with weapon retention or for use as an escape tool. I tried using two knives, one in each pocket but I found that they too could be made inaccessible in fairly routine grappling situations. I also tried carrying a small fixed blade knife IWB, but I found it uncomfortable. It also suffered from accessability issues and, quite frankly, it was more knife than I wanted to carry.

After hearing a lot of positive comments regarding the HAK and taking a look at the design, I decided to give it a try. I purchased a utility model with a belt wrap and I wear it just in front of my handgun at about 2:30. I have been working with it for about a month and a half and, so far, I am impressed.

Positioned as I have it, I can access the knife with either hand. I can cross-draw with my non-dominant hand or use a cavalry-draw with my dominant hand. Any positions that leave my HAK inaccessible inevitably leave my Emerson accessible.

One ECQ technique I have been working with is to inconspicuously grasp the knife with my non-dominant hand, quickly employ the knife with my using an Iaido-style draw to create space while my dominant hand draws my firearm to a retention position. I still have some work do do in terms of becoming more fluid, but it promises to be devasting at elevator/phone-booth distances.

I purchased the utility model because it was the least expensive and I was not sure that the HAK would meet my needs. I found that it cuts well and sharpens relatively easily. I purchased it unwrapped but ended up wrapping it myself for comfort.

Overall I am extremely satisfied with my HAK. It has not replaced my Emerson, nor will it, but it supplements it nicely. I would not mind upgrading to one of the nicer knives, but I can not see that they will provide any more capability than my current HAK.

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    I carry a CRKT #6783 on my left-hand side in a Del Fatti or Tucker belt sheath. The pistol at my right-hand makes it almost mandatory for me to carry a blade on the left side just behind the extra magazine. I have no illusions about being able to use a knife (successfully) if anyone grabs my pistol, though. It's a tool, nothing more.

Yes, I have a very good folder. It's the OD green/black blade Spyderco Delicia. I have become very proficient with this knife. I find that presenting this knife is a little slower and I would imagine I could employ a HAK much quicker. I would also like to free up some pocket space for an EDC light, most likely a Surefire E1L.

How is the Utility HAKs blade for defensive uses? I don't know how well a straight edge could be used for defense, thats partly why I like the Hybrid. But then again I have no training with edged weapon usage.

Wow, not getting too much love on this one. Oh, well. Just a little strange considering the other HAK thread has had or 2000 hits and 68 posts.

I know alot of you guys have them, I've read your posts.

I personally prefer benchmade knives. A large folder with no serrations and polymer grips.
    As an LEO, I would definitely have a one handed opener (switchblade) with a half serrated blade. Benchmade has a nice selection also.

Yes, I love my Spyderco Delicia. I have some other Spyderco knifes that I love and will pass them on to any children my wife and I have (not in the near future). I personally feel their Mini Dyad is the perfect pocket (ie non tactical) knife.

But the HAK is for a very specialized purpose. This is to keep on my weak side and if someone ever trys to grab my gun I can use it to defend my self. I think the HAK would be better than a folder in that it would be quicker to employ and I could keep it out and still use both hands. Also the capsole grip means that is the grip becomes wet it won't slip and cut my hand.

I would also carry it off duty. Also when I go swimming or to the lake in summer.

75 Scout,
    I have a Strider Hybrid HAK which I carry on-duty hidden behind my mag-pouches. I agree with your acessment that it is a special purpose tool. (I also carry an Emerson Commander strong-side front pocket and a CRKT Crawford-Kasper weak-side front pocket). I also agree that the curved-blade of the Hybrid is more indusive to, shall we say, a deeper cut on a slash as opposed to the straight blade of the Utilty model. (I carry a custom Elishewitz parrt-beak folder with similar blade off-duty). As far as sharpening or an edge; well - it is razor sharp; and since I've determined that this is strictly a last ditch self defense tool that will never be used for anything except cutting skin, mine has never cut anything except a piece of leather to test it when I first got it, so I have not had to sharpen it. Mine does not have the para-cord wrap. I just don't see the need for the slightly extra bulk. The way the knife is wrapped around and enclosed in your hand I don't see a retention issue, and therefore don't see any real benefit to the para-cord. Keep in mind if you are going to para-cord wrap it you'll need to order it slightly larger in size. I don't think you'll be disappointed. (And if you are I'll buy it off of you. How's that sound. I've been thinking of getting another one).
    Hope this helps some.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Ex Member Array Ghost Who Walks's Avatar
    OK, if I wanted speed and concealability with a knife I would wrap the blade in paper and carry one of these under an ace bandage on my inside support-hand forearm:

Randall Model #10, 'Salt Water Fisherman'

It's the fastest way to bring a blade into play that I know of; but it's, still, not a match for a good BUG - just quieter!

This Old Man...

does not see the advantage a knife would have over "Gun-Fu".
    The time I would be using to pull my knife...two seconds?...seem better spent (for me) in introducing my "little friend"...to quote, Scarface!

I've carried an assisted opening blade sometimes, but I have never really imagined its use ...'go for the gun'.
    Be VERY alert!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

'75 Scout, you might check and see if Tx DPS permits carrying a fixed blade or back-up knife, or for that matter a knife on the belt. It doesn't matter whether or not you are in spec if you are rolling around on the highway with some maggot trying to take your Sig away from you in the middle of the night, it might matter if the brass sees it otherwise. I don't know what they are like now, but at one time they were pretty particular/specific about some equipment rules. Again, this is from OLD knowledge, just a thought. I work for a municipal agency that does not allow certain knives.

Sheepdog thanks, I will have to check on that. I have no idea what they allow. I'll either call soon or talk to my friend who will graduate the academy in a couple of weeks.

Mark thanks for the review. The Strider Hybrid is my favorite, but there is an off chance I might use this one for other uses too. I figured the design or the grip makes the paracord a moot issue. FrontSight said in her tests than there wasn't too much difference and the straight seemed to stab the best. And in all honesty this will most likely be a stabbing knife. I would either go for the throat, ribs, or the wrist that is grabbing my gun, in that order.

I will be doing my best, in the event of a gun grab, to keep my"little friend" in the holster because there is a BG trying to take it away and most likely kill me with it. Thats why I want the knife, son I can use my weak hand to employ a knife that is unseen and unexpected. This will hopefully give me enough room and time to draw my gun.

Ok so I read all 7 pages of the other HAK thread and I was expecting more reviews amd feed back. Instead it was more of a debate of the usefullness between 3 or so members. Which is totally ok, but I was and still am hoping to recieve more feedback from owners.

I have decided I will most likely get a Curvy, if they are still made, and it will be purely a SD knife. I will also get a the Straight to use as a utility knife. The straight will be much easier to keep sharp.

Nothing against the Hideaways (I plan to get one sometime soon) but if you're looking for a knife to carry on your duty belt you might also consider the Ka-Bar TDI. They're pretty common among LEO's and I've heard a lot of good feedback about them.

just another option for you, I'm not biased either way.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

The TDIs are too big to carry unknown. The HAK can be hidden behind the mag pouches on my weakside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links