Survival knife - Page 2

Survival knife

This is a discussion on Survival knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by glockrocker Might give the Glock knife a look,as ugly as a Glock,but is a great knife,and only about 30.00,have seen the black ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Survival knife

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    Might give the Glock knife a look,as ugly as a Glock,but is a great knife,and only about 30.00,have seen the black ones for 20.00.
    I agree with the G81. I bought one about a year ago and it hasn't let me down. Very simple but very effective and got the OD Green color.
    http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-Fi...ctinfo/G17678/
    http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-Su...ctinfo/G17581/
    They also have a field knife that is the same thing without the serrations.
    http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-Fi...ctinfo/G17678/

https://store.teamglock.com/outdoor.html
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Most likely out of your price range but I really like this one:

ESEE Knives

100% lifetime, no questions asked warranty. you break it, they replace it. As soon as I can justify spending the $$$$ I will have one. Ill probably order the Izula first.

For something a bit more affordable, you just cant go wrong with the classic USMC Ka-Bar. 1095 steel is very solid and can take some pretty good abuse. New ones can be had for $100 or less.
    ironmike86 likes this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicegy525 View Post
    Most likely out of your price range but I really like this one:

ESEE Knives

100% lifetime, no questions asked warranty. you break it, they replace it. As soon as I can justify spending the $$$$ I will have one. Ill probably order the Izula first.

For something a bit more affordable, you just cant go wrong with the classic USMC Ka-Bar. 1095 steel is very solid and can take some pretty good abuse. New ones can be had for $100 or less.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Still have the one I was issued in VietNam in 1967. I keep it in my truck under fold over console.

Rich

I really like the ESEE5 but ya that's a lot of money.
    NRA - Line of Duty Member

SIG P220ST

Next purchase an AR-15 hopefully

EDIT - I'm an idiot. I posted this whole thing without realizing the price cap! You can find the ESEE knives (or Rat Cutlery) used for really good prices. It's worth saving up for.

The Ranger series from Ontario Knife Co is supposed to be a great choice. They list around $70 to $85 but you should be able to easily find them well under that. I'd probably go with one over a Gerber as the steel used is prone to chipping compared to many others including 5160, which Ontario uses.

http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/category/20

Sorry for my useless ramblings below!

- EDIT

ESEE knives, for the price, are a great choice. I'm currently using a Chris Reeve Green Beret 5.5". I've also owned a few Striders, but they serve a bit of a different purpose and work better for pounding and prying while the Reeves is better for cutting and slicing but will also withstand a lot of abuse that most won't put their knives through regardless of the situation.

I'd be perfectly content with an ESEE RC-4 or RC-6 for survival/wilderness use as well as many other applications. My little Izula has been so nice and is the perfect mix of blade shape, thickness, cutting ability and some prying ability. The ESEE knives are made from 1095 and I really like it for this type of knife. I really like the ESSE RC-5, but it's made from .25 stock so it's not as good of a slicer as the 4 or 6, in comparison. It does work well at hacking and prying though. I'm ordering a Strider SA-L or DB-L soon for another carry knife, but it's purpose won't be fine slicing.

I posted these in another thread, but they fit here as well. The Chris Reeve is now S35VN which is supposedly a bit better than S30v. I put a slightly different angle on the blade and man it took a lot of work, but it holds up very well and is easy to touch up. I really like this knife, but there are some small things about the handle that I'd change. I'll likely send it off and have it done the way I'd like eventually, just to make it that much better. The Pacific is very nice as well.

DefConGun likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Anyone with experience using gerber prodigy?

SIG P220ST

VIP Member
    When I go in the field, the knife that gets the most use is either a small folding lockback, or a fixed blade with a blade around 3". I have an old Buck that is my favorite. It has been used to dress deer, make bow drills, and generally get things done.

Administrator
    Hey if you guys want a great little no frills SIMPLE carbon steel folding knife that is really inexpensive then check out the SVORD PEASANT Made In NZ.
    It is a neat little oddball knife that really holds a decent edge and is great for food prep and other such camp chores.
    I think you can pick up one really cheap on Ebay. A while back I bought one for $13.00 & a few bucks for shipping.
    It just a great little lightweight extra back-up "stuff it somewhere into the B.O.B." knife.
    There IS a little hidden cross pin inside the handle that prevents the blade from moving all the way backward.
    The plastic handles come in all sorts of colors. Mine is White.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I ended up ordering a LMF 2 off ebay for $56 free shipping in OD. Can't wait to test it out... Now time to get a Molle Bag.

SIG P220ST

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Here is one place to look. I've purchase from them and this link is to their Ka-Bar Fixed Blades.

Ka-Bar Fixed Blade Knives for sale - Blade HQ

Thousands of blades out there to choose from under your high limit. Good hunting!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I want one of these:

Only costs $13.00...has a sharpener and everything.

Sorry, I can't see "Survival Knife" and not think of these old pieces of crap..
    Backyard tested and approved

After much reading and reassessing my needs I've loaded my kit w/ Benchmade, Gerber & K-Bar.

I like SOG as well but the 3 I have fit their purpose & I don't want to be a collector.
    ~ Sigsi Paige

Smile

Try Cutlery Corner...... best deals in town and ya buy am but the pound!!!!!!

Not to be a budget buster but I agree with all the post on ESEE, in particular jonconsiglio's comments on the RC-4. Awesome knife, well made, no corners cut, and almost the perfect size for that one knife that's gotta be ok for everything. I see them online for just under $100.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links