Need to get around a "no weapons" policy.

This is a discussion on Need to get around a "no weapons" policy. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Google "Monkey Fist" they come in all sizes . If not make your own (see Youtube) ....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Need to get around a "no weapons" policy.

Google "Monkey Fist" they come in all sizes . If not make your own (see Youtube).
    Spade115 likes this.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Truckdriver View Post
    *pistol whipped. Auto correct got me....
    I would imagine your coworker didn't care if it was whipped or whooped..... it still sucked!
    just trying to inject some humor here but a good flashlight can make a decent weapon, and while i don't advocate breaking a company policy .... me going home safely would probably be worth me losing my job if something bad happened

Quote Originally Posted by jamierah View Post
    You say you have to unload trailers are they flatbeds. If they are you could have a custom bar made up for the ratchets that's maybe a little more pointy don the end and with a knob on the other end. You know to keep it from slipping out of your hands when you tighten straps.
    Unfortunately I'm in and out of the trailer, up and down a lift-gate and potential BGs have numerous chances to sneak up on me. I just picked up a tactical flashlight and a small knife. I'm going to practice and see about getting some training as well. I partially understand the companies reasoning, but I still feel it's wrong. They run nation wide plus Canada and I believe Mexico as well. Since the gun and weapon laws vary from one place to the next they just ban them company wide. The fact that my Michigan CPL is valid in the specific area that I cover doesn't matter to the people in charge.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Rather than break company policy, I would quit. Stand up for yourself. If you carry a weapon against their will and take a paycheck after agreeing to follow their policy then you have become a liar. It makes all gunowners look bad when one does something dishonest. Take the high road always.

That is just my $0.02 worth.

I am now constantly in places where caring a firearm is illegal. (School and Work) It sucks, but you have to weigh that against possible legal action because of exposure, or the possibility of needing it.

Only you can decide that.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    A Ruger LCP in a pocket holster looks just like a wallet, if anyone would even notice it in the first place. Just sayin.

My "corporate policy" is life > job.

You do what you have to do.
    I agree. If its a "no weapons" policy, what's the difference if its a gun or a knife?

If you decide to use the examples above: push knives, TDI, you will need to have a concealed carry permit which will probably not be valid from state to state. I suggest a kubaton on your key chain and better yet, a hefty punch, chisel or awl from your local hardware store in a small EMT type tool belt carrier with a small flashlight and some other usefull tool like a leatherman or SAK. You could justify needing the punch to punch out a windshield in a car accident.

Hey driver, there's a pretty easy way around this situation. Do what you feel is safest and don't talk about it with your coworkers.

I have seen this knife that you may like.
    Boker offers Pocket knife Boker Plus Urban Survival by Boker Plus as Tactical knife.
    There is also a wrench.
    DEFENSE WRENCH
    And here is a key chain.
    Cat Keychain Defense Key Chain
    Any of these would require training to use with much effectiveness.
    You could also carry a big 1/2 in. socket wrench with you anytime you get out of the cab.
    Just keep in mind that your greatest weapon is your mind. You are only unarmed if you allow yourself to think that you are unarmed.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

You have a flashlight. Why not a 3, 4 ,5 ,or 6 cell maglite. They sell simple simple belt loop holsters. It won't be considered a weapon. But it will do some damage if you need it. What would you rather have a small knife or a steel club full of D cell batteries. I have not heard of maglite laws yet.
    dakotasdad likes this.

Lots of good suggestions here.

I used to drive OTR for a big company years ago and they had a no weapons policy too.

I used to be in Boy Scouts so my motto is. "Be prepared".

I have carried a pocket knife of some form for over 25 years. Its a tool, nothing more. I used it to cut zip-ties off the rear doors when I drove.

The suggestion of monkey fist on a key-chain is a good one. Hook it to your key to the truck and drop the key into your pocket with the fist hanging out of your pocket.

As a driver, chances are you have a 3 C-Cell Mag light anyway for when you're doing your PTI's? Right?

Chances are also good that you have a padlock for locking the trailer doors? If you don't do box loads then probably not. However, if you do have a lock.... Attach that padlock to a bandanna and drop the lock in your pocket. Haul it out if you need it. Put it away when you're back in the cab.

I know you have a pen for logbook entries and checking your manifests right? Any pen will put holes in someone if you want it to.

You already have a tire thumper/head knocker.

Also, keep your cab locked @ all times. When you're in it and when you're not. Obviously awareness is key.

Stay safe brother.
    Last edited by dakotasdad; February 24th, 2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Doghandler likes this.

VIP Member
    The only times during my trucking career any one knew I was carrying were in "must inform" encounters with LEOs.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Last time I checked, my M&P is legally carried as a life saving tool... The same as, say... An AED, a syringe, or any other MEDICAL DEVICE (hint, hint). So, when my company makes a policy against legally carrying a Bayer Aspirin, I will give up the fight and move on.

OpJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One option is a throwing star -- or five.

On a serious note, if you want to keep it on the cheap, get a bandana and tie a MasterLock on one end. Drop the lock down in your pocket, leaving the free end of the bandana hanging out. Easy to access and capable of putting a serious hurting on an unsuspecting BG.

You also might consider some type of tactical, self-defense strobe light such as the ones made by NovaTac.

Be safe out there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links