Izula Folding Knife!

Izula Folding Knife!

This is a discussion on Izula Folding Knife! within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Esee is planning to produce a folder. I've been wanting to get an Esee just for the sake of having one. I really like the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Izula Folding Knife!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Izula Folding Knife!

Esee is planning to produce a folder. I've been wanting to get an Esee just for the sake of having one. I really like the folder idea and will be glad to see it come out. So long as its not uber expensive, it could go on my short "to get" list.

They say that the actual knife could vary in appearance than the one shown here and at this moment there is not price point or production timeline finalized. Currently, they are saying it is going to utilize D2 steel. To my understanding, this is a tool grade steel. It is great for utility work and will take a relative amount of abuse but might not take an edge as well as some other steels.
    ESEE Knives

Problem is, it's been on the drawing board for at least the last two years, and currently, they have no idea when it will go into production.

I've been anxiously waiting for it to come out. It's been on the drawing board since way before they changed their name to ESEE knives.

It's like, "Come on dudes... get on with it." Folks are really waiting for this knife!

I keep expecting them to scrap the project. Which would be a mistake, in my opinion.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

They were originally going to have Lion Steel make it and had prototypes at SHOT 2010. Then they were going to have Rowan produce it. Unfortunately, there has been no further information on it at all. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. The DPX H.E.S.T. folder is very similar to the prototype Izula and the 2.0 version has had some good reviews.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for filling me in on the scoop. I think sometimes the guys in the tac line of business are great when it concerns tactical matters but do not always have the greatest business acumen. I'm not slamming these guys. I'm also not aware of the things happening in the background that may be responsible for the delay in bringing this knife to market. Its expensive to introduce new products and sometimes there's snags in ironing out logistical matters. Hopefully things will fall into place and this knife will be in the market soon.

I just looked at the DPx HEST ver 2 folder on Ebay.

Looks like a nice knife. I may have to get one. Especially if the Izula folder never comes out.

I do however like the lines on the Izula folder better. Much sleeker, and cooler looking in my opinion.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    D-2 tool steel takes a very good edge, and because it can be brought to a greater hardness it retains its edge for longer periods. The down side is it takes longer to sharpen and I've heard reports of it being brittle in cold climates.

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    They were originally going to have Lion Steel make it and had prototypes at SHOT 2010. Then they were going to have Rowan produce it. Unfortunately, there has been no further information on it at all. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. The DPX H.E.S.T. folder is very similar to the prototype Izula and the 2.0 version has had some good reviews.
    Actually the folder at Shot, produced by Lion Steel, was an ESEE 3 folder. I don't believe that there is even a prototype Izula folder yet. They jumped from the Izula F to the 3 F back to the Izula F after seeing the continued quality issues with Lion Steel's other products.
    Jeff and Mike are very serious about only bringing a quality product to market and anything short of Shon Rowan level detail and craftsmanship will never be accepted.

I agree with you that I wouldn't hold my breath. We may see a stainless Izula before the end of the year, but with the Candiru, LaserStrike, new colors of the base models and new FireKit just reaching dealers I think it'll be a while before anymore brand new products reach the customers' hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    D-2 tool steel takes a very good edge, and because it can be brought to a greater hardness it retains its edge for longer periods. The down side is it takes longer to sharpen and I've heard reports of it being brittle in cold climates.
    Thanks for this reiteration. I'm still learning about these things. I thought at one time that I would learn about all the different kinds of steels and learn about their make up but when I looked at all the kinds available, I lost heart.

Do you remember where you heard of it being brittle in cold climates? I'm thinking I saw a NutnFancy video where he chipped a blade in the cold but I don't think it was an Esee but that's not to say it wasn't D-2. I'll come back and say which one it was if I can remember which video I saw it in, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HKR View Post
    Actually the folder at Shot, produced by Lion Steel, was an ESEE 3 folder. I don't believe that there is even a prototype Izula folder yet. They jumped from the Izula F to the 3 F back to the Izula F after seeing the continued quality issues with Lion Steel's other products.
    Jeff and Mike are very serious about only bringing a quality product to market and anything short of Shon Rowan level detail and craftsmanship will never be accepted.

I agree with you that I wouldn't hold my breath. We may see a stainless Izula before the end of the year, but with the Candiru, LaserStrike, new colors of the base models and new FireKit just reaching dealers I think it'll be a while before anymore brand new products reach the customers' hands.
    The website says that the knife in their photo is a concept design by Tom Novak. I'm not clear on differences between a "concept design" and a "prototype". Are there any differences or are these just two different terms referring to the same thing?

I don't doubt the quality of Esee and I think that hesitancy to introduce a product that is not up to their standard is a great thing and kudos to the company for holding out.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It was Nutnfancy.

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    The website says that the knife in their photo is a concept design by Tom Novak. I'm not clear on differences between a "concept design" and a "prototype". Are there any differences or are these just two different terms referring to the same thing?

I don't doubt the quality of Esee and I think that hesitancy to introduce a product that is not up to their standard is a great thing and kudos to the company for holding out.
    In my experience a concept design is on paper or a computer screen, while a prototype is an actual physical product that can be held and used. I've seen detailed pics of the ESEE 3 folder prototypes, but he only thing I've ever seen about the Izula folder is the pic on the website.

That isn't to say that there isn't a prototype sitting on a table in Tennessee or Alabama, or maybe even several of them, but I've yet to see evidence of a working one and ESEE is usually pretty open on such things.
    So let me apologize for earlier saying that I don't believe that there is a protoype yet. I should have said that if there is one then it's existence hasn't been alluded to anywhere that I've seen.
    The picture on the ESEE site may well be of an actual knife, I guess I've always just took it to be a design rendering and nothing more. Sorry for the confusion.

I like the knife but I agree been out for a few years with no real time frame

I would much rather pick this one up

M1911 Compact Folding Knife with Bead Blasted 440C Blade and Checkered Black G10 Grips
    Bark'n likes this.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I'm sorry but that knife doesn't strike me as anything more then a attempt to capitalize on the rabid cult like following that some have for the 1911 platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I like the knife but I agree been out for a few years with no real time frame

I would much rather pick this one up

M1911 Compact Folding Knife with Bead Blasted 440C Blade and Checkered Black G10 Grips
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I like the concept if it is built as a medium/heavy use small folder like the medium voyager. I do not own any D2 blades, but more than few Kershaw owners have complained about rust with D2. I don't think it is a wise choice for pocket carry due to body perspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I'm sorry but that knife doesn't strike me as anything more then a attempt to capitalize on the rabid cult like following that some have for the 1911 platform.
    I like it because you have the perfect matching knife. You can use same grips on both.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links