To carry or not to carry OC Spray, that is the question.

This is a discussion on To carry or not to carry OC Spray, that is the question. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I use Fox Labs 5.3 exclusively. 5.3 million scoville heat units. Pretty potent stuff!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: To carry or not to carry OC Spray, that is the question.

I use Fox Labs 5.3 exclusively.

5.3 million scoville heat units. Pretty potent stuff!
    oldnfat likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Administrator

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I'm of the opinion that you really should have at least one non-lethal defensive measure along with your carry...besides H2H.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I was wondering who carry's pepper spray (OC) along with their firearm for EDC.

I notice some people carry OC as a less than lethal alternative with their EDC gear.

I notice some people don't carry OC with their EDC gear.

Both have been LE and non LE.

What are your opinions?

Like any other implement, the person carrying it needs to know it's capabilities and limitations. That said, I carry OC whenever I am carrying a gun.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I don't. I'm still waiting for tasers to be approve in my state.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Another tool, another option if things escalate.

I carry it. I like to have options. It could be used against a BG or a dog at a park if it decides to attack or what have you. I have been sprayed myself in a training exercise and know I can fight through it. So I know others can too. OC is just going to slow someone down. If used against an attacker spray and run.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I don't have my CC permit yet. But I carry it all day every day. Some people complain that outside it will blow back in your face. I have tested 3 different kinds, wind does have a small factor but as long as you have the stream version and aren't shooting it DIRECTLY into the wind, you should not have any blowing back and should not deter you from carrying it as long as you can use the common sense to realize where the wind is blowing from. It is one of the best less than lethal things to carry. It barely takes up any space so as long as you feel comfortable in how to use it, there should be no reason not to (IMHO).
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I keep a can in my car. When I go to a place such as my daughter's school where the firearm is not allowed, then I carry the OC instead. When I go for a walk, I carry both. I keep the OC in the palm of my hand sort of hidden. Works on dogs or people. and can be an immediate response since it is already in my hand. The gun can come out next if that doesn't work.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Here's how I see it.

Whether you carry pepper spray or not, I think it's always a good idea to have a less lethal option of dealing with situations which do not require lethal force.

As a general rule, the courts really frown on people who shoot unarmed people, whether they were a thug or not. And if all you have is a gun to deal with situations, and you get into an encounter with an unarmed person, you might be tempted to use your lethal force when it isn't appropriate to do so.

I prefer to have a means to discourage unarmed aggressors other than going hands on in a fist fight, or using my gun to shoot down an unarmed combatant.

I also don't want to be in a hand-to-hand scuffle with someone and risk becoming disarmed or losing my gun in the ruckus.

It's much easier to stand back 5-10 feet and hose them down with pepper spray. If they continue to escalate the situation after being sprayed, you are now on more solid legal ground to go to the next level on the force continuum.

Remember that pepper spray is to be used as a deterrent to an unarmed attacker. If the person is armed with a weapon, especially a deadly weapon, I wouldn't be using pepper spray.
    I wish that could be a sticky. Bark'n really nailed that one.

I just ordered some today.

Permit not needed

At least not in Florida.

From 790.01 FS:

(4) It is not a violation of this section for a person to carry for purposes of lawful self-defense, in a concealed manner:
    (a) A self-defense chemical spray.

3)(a) “Concealed weapon” means any dirk, metallic knuckles, slungshot, billie, tear gas gun, chemical weapon or device, or other deadly weapon carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the weapon from the ordinary sight of another person.

(b) “Tear gas gun” or “chemical weapon or device” means any weapon of such nature, except a device known as a “self-defense chemical spray.” “Self-defense chemical spray” means a device carried solely for purposes of lawful self-defense that is compact in size, designed to be carried on or about the person, and contains not more than two ounces of chemical.

For those not familiar with what to look for when choosing OC, the % is not the most important thing to look for. Scoville Heat Units aka SHU is more important. Need a minimum 1.5 million SHU and 2 million or more is better. So 15% of 500,000 SHU is not as effective as 5% of 2 million SHU, the latter being a common formula for both police and corrections. As the percent goes up the effects last longer but does not act any quicker. Companies hawking their ultra high percentages are just preying on the uninformed general public.

OC comes in different delivery modes. There are pros and cons to each.

Mist is effective quicker, highly effective on eyes and lungs, but cross contamination is more likely. Use short bursts so the liquid carrier can evaporate and the micro-pulverized pepper can do its thing.

Stream has more range, is less subject to wind, harder to hit the target, and less effective on the lungs.

Splatter is between the above two.

Foam is used in areas where airborn cross contamination is a big no-no, like hospitals or small contained areas. Hold the button down and paint their face. You must get it directly in the eyes, and the suspect can wipe it off their face and sling it back on you.

But whatever you choose for your situation, get some and carry it - for reasons well explained in above posts.
    Last edited by Paladin3840; March 26th, 2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: added info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links