To carry or not to carry OC Spray, that is the question.

To carry or not to carry OC Spray, that is the question.

This is a discussion on To carry or not to carry OC Spray, that is the question. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Everyone, I was wondering who carry's pepper spray (OC) along with their firearm for EDC. I notice some people carry OC as a less ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: To carry or not to carry OC Spray, that is the question.

Question To carry or not to carry OC Spray, that is the question.

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering who carry's pepper spray (OC) along with their firearm for EDC.

I notice some people carry OC as a less than lethal alternative with their EDC gear.

I notice some people don't carry OC with their EDC gear.

Both have been LE and non LE.

What are your opinions?

Me............always.

Im not too fond of pepper spray. If it's windy it can back fire and end up affecting you along with the BG, and it doesn't work on everyone. I prefer my flashlight.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

I almost always carry it. It may prove useful for dealing with some belligerent individual who doesn't merit the next level of force. Drunks, punk kids with their honor offended, whatever the case may be. Not every individual who might choose to accost you will need a bullet to make them back down.
    Paymeister and marcclarke like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I carry it, but I admit not all the time. Most often when I am going somewhere very public (around crowds) where I can't carry a firearm.
    My opinion is that if you're going to carry it, get the good stuff.

The best advice I was given, was by a member here, "NCBullseye" who told me if you have to use it, "spray and get away...don't stick around to watch the show". Apparently it doesn't work 100% of the time, or at least works to different degrees on different people.

It's a good thing to have, I just have not found a good way to carry it. It's actually more of an inconvenience to carry than a handgun. IMO
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Here's how I see it.

Whether you carry pepper spray or not, I think it's always a good idea to have a less lethal option of dealing with situations which do not require lethal force.

As a general rule, the courts really frown on people who shoot unarmed people, whether they were a thug or not. And if all you have is a gun to deal with situations, and you get into an encounter with an unarmed person, you might be tempted to use your lethal force when it isn't appropriate to do so.

I prefer to have a means to discourage unarmed aggressors other than going hands on in a fist fight, or using my gun to shoot down an unarmed combatant.

I also don't want to be in a hand-to-hand scuffle with someone and risk becoming disarmed or losing my gun in the ruckus.

It's much easier to stand back 5-10 feet and hose them down with pepper spray. If they continue to escalate the situation after being sprayed, you are now on more solid legal ground to go to the next level on the force continuum.

Remember that pepper spray is to be used as a deterrent to an unarmed attacker. If the person is armed with a weapon, especially a deadly weapon, I wouldn't be using pepper spray.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

to Paaiyan & Stubborn AND Bark'n.!!!!
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Carry it all the time. It can also go places the gun cannot, at least in NC. That's a plus.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I carry it. It's actually the only weapon expressly allowed at work. I don't have my CCH yet, but even when I do I will continue to carry it. Like Jason said, it's great to have something in those places you can't carry.

I have misgivings about the efficacy of OC in any given situation but carry it figuring it is better than nothing in situations where I can not carry a gun. If the circumstances permitted, I would try the OC before resorting to deadly force. If in doubt, howevver, I am not going to screw around with OC.
    Paymeister likes this.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    I have misgivings about the efficacy of OC in any given situation but carry it figuring it is better than nothing in situations where I can not carry a gun. If the circumstances permitted, I would try the OC before resorting to deadly force. If in doubt, howevver, I am not going to screw around with OC.
    The likelihood of pepper spray having absolutely no effect is pretty rare. It may not have the total desired effect, but it almost always has at least enough effect to be a game changer allowing you more control of the situation.

Even on a person who has a diminished pain response due to drug or alcohol intoxication, it will usually at least affect their vision causing immediate tearing and uncontrolled blinking, affecting their vision and making you a harder target to attack. Also, if they get a mouth full, they will likely get uncontrolled coughing as well. Those effects should allow you the opportunity to escape, or at least keep them from getting their hands on you.

Again, if they continue the attack after they have been sprayed, and they are unarmed, it does put you on a more solid legal footing for escalating your response on the force continuum.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I carry spray and a light in addition to my EDC. To a friend who asked why I said "Never play an Ace when a Deuce will do".
    Bark'n and marcclarke like this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Here's how I see it.

Whether you carry pepper spray or not, I think it's always a good idea to have a less lethal option of dealing with situations which do not require lethal force.

As a general rule, the courts really frown on people who shoot unarmed people, whether they were a thug or not. And if all you have is a gun to deal with situations, and you get into an encounter with an unarmed person, you might be tempted to use your lethal force when it isn't appropriate to do so.

I prefer to have a means to discourage unarmed aggressors other than going hands on in a fist fight, or using my gun to shoot down an unarmed combatant.

I also don't want to be in a hand-to-hand scuffle with someone and risk becoming disarmed or losing my gun in the ruckus.

It's much easier to stand back 5-10 feet and hose them down with pepper spray. If they continue to escalate the situation after being sprayed, you are now on more solid legal ground to go to the next level on the force continuum.

Remember that pepper spray is to be used as a deterrent to an unarmed attacker. If the person is armed with a weapon, especially a deadly weapon, I wouldn't be using pepper spray.
    That sums up why I carry pepper spray
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I ALWAYS carry it, along with a 220 lumen light to blind and disorient them before I spray them down. I carry them in mag holsters on my weak side. Light, then spray, then extra mag. That way I know where each piece is. Also, as many have mentioned, if you end up using deadly force, you'll be in a better position having tried to use less lethal methods first.

Which brands do you carriers use?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links