Automatic knife in va

Automatic knife in va

This is a discussion on Automatic knife in va within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Please can anyone help me on the legality of carrying a automatic knife in Virginia I currently have a concealed weapons permit, and knife recommendations ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic knife in va

Automatic knife in va

Please can anyone help me on the legality of carrying a automatic knife in Virginia I currently have a concealed weapons permit, and knife recommendations will be helpful.... thanks in advance.

prev | next
    18.2-311. Prohibiting the selling or having in possession blackjacks, etc.

If any person sells or barters, or exhibits for sale or for barter, or gives or furnishes, or causes to be sold, bartered, given or furnished, or has in his possession, or under his control, with the intent of selling, bartering, giving or furnishing, any blackjack, brass or metal knucks, any disc of whatever configuration having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, or like weapons, such person shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor. The having in one's possession of any such weapon shall be prima facie evidence, except in the case of a conservator of the peace, of his intent to sell, barter, give or furnish the same.

(Code 1950, 18.1-271; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1985, c. 394; 1988, c. 359.)
    LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-311

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Don't bother with an 'automatic' knife: look into knives with the 'wave' feature such as Emerson and Spyderco. They're completely manual and actually faster to deploy than a switchblade. See www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1tUxkWrfAM .
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

The law specifies no switchblades, but doesn't give the definition of a switchblade. So most retailers, citizens, and LEOs assume that auto openers are a no-no, but assisted openers are OK. I don't know if this been tested in court yet.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Does your permit say Concealed Weapons Permit, or Concealed Firearms Permit?
    I only ask because my first permit said Weapons and all the ones after that said Firearms.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I see no advantage of a switchblade over an 'assisted opener'...OMOYMV
    Get an 'assisted opener' and avoid the possible hassle.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    The law specifies no switchblades, but doesn't give the definition of a switchblade. So most retailers, citizens, and LEOs assume that auto openers are a no-no, but assisted openers are OK. I don't know if this been tested in court yet.
    - Assisted opening knives are not classified as switchblades... although Customs tried to do so recently.
    AKTI Saves ALL Folding Knives from U.S. Customs' Action : American Knife and Tool Institute

U.S. Code Title 15, Sect. 1241 defines switchblade knives as any knives which open:
    (1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade which opens automatically
    (2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.

You have to move the blade on an assisted opening knife past a certain point before the assist deploys the knife, which is the main reason it isn't classified as a switchblade.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    My understanding is that automatic knives are illegal in VA. Also, the VA permit is good for a firearm, not for other weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - Assisted opening knives are not classified as switchblades... although Customs tried to do so recently.
    AKTI Saves ALL Folding Knives from U.S. Customs' Action : American Knife and Tool Institute

U.S. Code Title 15, Sect. 1241 defines switchblade knives as any knives which open:
    (1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade which opens automatically
    (2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.

You have to move the blade on an assisted opening knife past a certain point before the assist deploys the knife, which is the main reason it isn't classified as a switchblade.
    The article referenced is federal law, state or municipal laws may be different (stricter or looser). The referenced article mentions this.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Thanks for all the help

Just checked it does say concealed firearm not concealed weapon.

An easy way to tell if an assisted open knife is legal in your area is go to Walmart and see if they are selling them. They do sell Assisted open knives (I purchased my there) but they do not sell switchblades.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

My knife is a Kershaw and is not considered an assisted opening knife. It's opened with one hand using a thumb stud at the end of the blade. It opens really easily (and I'm a women), plus it has a fold out screwdriver with four different heads! Plus it's a bottle opener. The blade is three and a half inches and so sharp you could shave with it! It only cost about $20 bucks!!!! Now that may make it sound like a cheap knife, but it's not. Kershaws are good knives and I was prepared to spend around $100 because I wanted a good knife (most Kershaws are in the $75-100 range). I don't know why this one was so cheap, but it certainly doesn't look or feel cheap at all!!!!!

I found one just ilke it here http://www.bladeplay.com/item--Kersh...s-Select--8035

Quote Originally Posted by dnilson View Post
    I don't know why this one was so cheap, but it certainly doesn't look or feel cheap at all!!!!!

I found one just ilke it here Kershaw Knives Select Fire 1920 Manual Knife Multi-Tool (PLN) - Blade Play
    - That's part of Kershaw's entry level line. It's a Chinese made knife with a Chinese steel (8CR13MoV). It's a great bang for the buck knife.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - That's part of Kershaw's entry level line. It's a Chinese made knife with a Chinese steel (8CR13MoV). It's a great bang for the buck knife.
    Do you know how strong the steel is? How much force would it take for it to snap? Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links