looking for a new larger EDC knife

This is a discussion on looking for a new larger EDC knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Kabar Mule I like the big grip, nice thick blade, robust knife I really like it KA-BAR Knives, Inc. - Knives > All Categories > ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: looking for a new larger EDC knife

VIP Member
    Kabar Mule
    I like the big grip, nice thick blade, robust knife
    I really like it
    KA-BAR Knives, Inc. - Knives > All Categories > MULE Folder - Hardcore Lives. Hardcore Knives.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

2. Remove Ads

Zero Tolerance 0350! Built like a damn tank. It's the Ruger of the knife world.

One option that nobody has mentioned.......

Ontario Rat 1

Spyderco manix xl

Quote Originally Posted by daveb413 View Post
    Love both my Benchmade 710 and 760, both stout blades and open and close smoothly, might be a bit over your price point though. i also have a Benchmade Griptillian and you should be able to find one for under $100, i tell everyone that they should own one.
    i am leaning more and more twords just getting a benchmade, everytime im trying to explain what im looking for i end up referencing the benchmade griptillian to try to explain what im speaking of. its just hard for me to come off the wallet and spend that kind of money (on anything), im cheap i know.

where have u seen/ know of to get the griptillian for under $100 all ive seen is 120-150 range and thats without assist open???

thanks for all the post everyone im writting them all down and going around to local shops trying to pick them up and handle them all and see what i like, also have a gun show coming to town in about 5-6 weeks so i may do alot alot of looking there. the biggest thing i keep coming across is the handle not being what im looking for but keep the advise and ideas coming i really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by J0eyg86 View Post

where have u seen/ know of to get the griptillian for under $100 all ive seen is 120-150 range and thats without assist open???
    Ebay. I got my griptilian for $83 shipped. You might have to wait a while and keep checking ebay for one with the right price.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Amazon.com has some good prices, just find a reputable vendor (seen through their feedback), i've had good luck with a number of knives through amazon... you just have to research a bit to make sure you're getting the right blade type and with or without black coating, etc.

The Sog Trident's a nice knife for the money--I like the tanto, but have been happy with several different Trident designs. On-line, target price should be under $60 and it's exceptiional in terms of light weight to strength performance ratio in my opinion. The SOG Vulcan's pretty nice and should be for the money, but I don't carry it too much--I wish the opening mechanism was a little faster and some Kershaw's with similar blade curvature seem to be a better value and open a lot faster than the Vulcan. I don't care for the Trident's rdedundant lock switch in the handle, but for most purposes, the positives outweigh that negative with the Tridents. The Trident was my EDC for a long time.

Speaking of Kershaw, their G10 Tactical Speed Bump Folding Stud Lock Knife has been on sale off and on, and a few weeks ago, it was again down to $32 on amazon--it's pretty darn stout, opens very quicky with a 3 and 5/8' long Sandvik 14C28N steel blade; 410 stainless steel liner and Pocket clip, weighs in 5.2 ounces. I'd bet it'll be back on sale soon if you're not in a hurry. Once you get around 5+ ounces like with the Speed bump, you'll know you have it clipped on your pocket and will be less inclined to lose it--and the clip is tight--needs a wee bit of prying so it'll fit a work pant's pocket. Several of my friends who've picked up that Kershaw have been very impressed and 'paid it forward' with similar positive feedback--all report excellent build quality and materials, for an amazingly minimal amount of money. Oh--it's actually made in the USA-imagine that....

Moving back up the price scale, Spyderco has some fine folding knives that are very tough and worth a look. I'd see what Gerber has to offer too--I've always been happy with the Spy's and Gerber's I've chosen--good one hand opening knives, that usually open smoothly and lock crisply.

BTW--going to a good knife shop (I know they're few and far between) and handling the knives is the best way to decide when possible. Some guys mentioned fixed blades--I'm very big on the Gerber LMF II for a very stout, all purpose fixed blade knife. That's one serious knife, with a blade that can take a severe beating, resharpen easily and come back shaving sharp.

I try and buy locally, but when there's a much better value on Amazon--and not from one of their secondary sellers on their site, I throw my money there, because I've found that you can practically return anything but your relatives to Amazon--and they'll pay for the shipping....

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by J0eyg86 View Post
    ...where have u seen/ know of to get the griptillian for under $100 all ive seen is 120-150 range and thats without assist open???
    Here's the Grip I have for $70.13 + shipping

Make sure to use the discount code shown on the product listing at checkout.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Check out the cold steel recon

Spyderco Manix 2, recieved it as a gift and now it replaced my sog trident. It is not assisted opening but has a smooth action and solid feel.

If you pry you will bend break your knife. The CRKT M21-04G is a beast. The titanium version, M-16 14T "bigdog" is ridiculouly big and strong. The Cold Steel Voyager series are also big and sturdy. The Kershaw Junk Yard Dog is no slouch either. None of these will break the bank if you decide they are not for you. I don't get spending 100+ for a knife. To me they are just tools and can be repaced IF they fail or become too beat up to function properly.

thanks for all the good advise i have a gun show comming to town 2 or 3 week of april so im going to do some looking there and get my hands on some of the recomendations that came from here and report back what i ended up deciding on, if i ever decide

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links