looking for a new larger EDC knife - Page 3

looking for a new larger EDC knife

This is a discussion on looking for a new larger EDC knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How big do you want to go? Cold Steel makes their Espada model in a fancy polished bolster and handle version and the cheaper G10 ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: looking for a new larger EDC knife

How big do you want to go? Cold Steel makes their Espada model in a fancy polished bolster and handle version and the cheaper G10 scaled version. They come in 3 1/2", 5 1/2", and for those that want a pocket sword 7 1/2" blades. They beat and pry and twist the crap out of them including stabbing car hoods with no damage to the tip. This may be my next purchase.
    Spade115 likes this.

im going to deff be taking a good hard long look at cold steel. i just wish they had more options in an assisted open. the more and more ive been thinking about it im thinking i want to stay with something assisted open.
    Also its hard for me to put into words of what im looking for with the handle but i guess the best way i would be able to try and explain in is comparing holding a butter knife with a heavy steak knife. how the handle of the butter knife is very skinny and not much to grab on to where a good steak house steak knife handle feels like something is in your hand..... thats what im really trying to find in a knife, something i feel like i have something in my hand if that makes any sense

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by J0eyg86 View Post
    ...Also its hard for me to put into words of what im looking for with the handle but i guess the best way i would be able to try and explain in is comparing holding a butter knife with a heavy steak knife. how the handle of the butter knife is very skinny and not much to grab on to where a good steak house steak knife handle feels like something is in your hand..... thats what im really trying to find in a knife, something i feel like i have something in my hand if that makes any sense
    You definitely want to look at CRKT's "The Natural" The full size not "The natural 2". This is a BIG BEEFY assisted opener designed by Pat Crawford.

Here's the CRKT M21, The Natural and The Natural 2.

And the back spine of The Natural2 and The Natural.

And here's a video of Pat Crawford with The Natural. You can get a better idea of the size of the knife and a good description from the designer.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

The Kershaw Rake fits pretty much all the 1-7 requirements in your original post. The G10 scales have a nice Textured grip (compared to the slick G10's on the Kershaw Cyclone) 3 1/2" bead-blasted composite, flat ground blade with D2 tool steel cutting edge. Flipper, assisted opening with a solid lockup, weighing 4.8 0z.

$73 at the Jungle (Amazon).

KA Bar Mule G10 4 inch blade (25)
    Cold Steel Tri-lite 4 inch (40)
    Benchmade LFK 5.2 inch blade (80)
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by J0eyg86 View Post
    so im looking to pick up a new EDC knife but im looking for something a little specific and i was wondering if anyone here could point me in the direction of a few names of what might suit my needs.

1.will be and EDC primary for general utility opening boxes ext but i want something with a little larger incase i would need it for a Self Defense situation. (god forbid)
    2. i want it to have a blade length greater then 3", even 4" or greater would be a viable option for me.
    3. be a thicker blade knife. something that i feel like i could pry up on something with and not worrie about the blade snaping. (not saying i am prying with it, just trying to put into words what im looking for)
    4. be a wider blade knife. kind of go hand and hand with above.
    5. would really prefer something with and assit to open option, but a good smooth one hand open knife would be consider
    6. blade style is not an issue to me, tanto, drop point ext ext
    7. a handle to be something that you feel like your actually holding onto to something when its in your hand, like a benchmade griptilian handle.

i know i mentioned a benchmade griptilian above and i think that is the best option ive come across as of yet but want to see if there is other options out there befor i spend $150 on a knife. I also like that look and feel of the blade of the kershaw blur but the handle is no where near as thick as i would like and doesnt feel good in my hand, just feels too thin.

i know i put alot of details above i hope thats a help and not making me seem like a picky SOB ive just bought a few knives in the past year and wasnt really happy with them so i would like to try and get it right this time. any and all advise and options you can give me would be greatly appreciated, and if you have something you want to sell send me a PM also.
    You don't need a bigger knife, you need to learn to use the one you have. A couple of Saudis hijacked planes, and killed a few thousand people, with boxcutters.

I like my Benchmade Barrage. It is 3.6 inch. Assisted opening. 154CM blade steel. It's an Osborne design. The other knife I like is the Zero Tolerance, S30V blade steel. It is 3.75 in blade.

Unless you can find one off the shelf, you will be waiting, but EMERSON TANTO. My receiving guy when I worked a real job before Obummer- lol... had two of them. One for work and one for... being a safe queen knife. He also carried a Karambit and gifted me another. Emerson is all I want since.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

[QUOTE=J0eyg86;2188597]so im looking to pick up a new EDC knife but im looking for something a little specific and i was wondering if anyone here could point me in the direction of a few names of what might suit my needs.

1.will be and EDC primary for general utility opening boxes ext but i want something with a little larger incase i would need it for a Self Defense situation. (god forbid)
    [QUOTE]

Such as cutting card board boxes? I'd get something like the Gerber EAB if I did a lot of cutting. As for a larger EDC knife with an excellent handle? I chose and reccomend the Ontario Rat 1. It came out of the box 'wicked' sharp and so far it's been highly durable. From cutting paracord to slicing up shad for bait and even harvesting a fuel source.

The Rat 1 cost me $32 and some change off Ebay with free shipping.

I always carry on my person the Benchmade Mini Griptiion 557 and the Benchmade 710.
    It's simple, you get what you pay for.
    Not to mention the costumer service and the warranty that are top notch.
    And there made in the USA.
    Last edited by Longbow; March 29th, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

I just did a small, informal review of the CRKT Triumph in a thread here in this section. I've only had it a couple days, but it seems like it'd probably fit the bill you're looking for. Something to look at at least. If you're doing a lot of cutting of the boxes themselves I think it'd help you out, as the main part of the cutting edge is curved slightly opposite the normal fashion, and helps keep the blade centered on such things.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Strider, nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiianone View Post
    Strider, nuff said.
    Strider?

E3_Strider.jpg
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post

Strider Knives <-------(Their website is not up and running yet, but here is the link anyway)

To see and purchase some Strider Knives you can go to Blade HQ.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Benchmade Presidio
    Product Detail
    Auto-open available
    Heavy (5.6 oz)
    3.5" blade
    Aggressive bi-directional grip (Black anodized, machined 6061 T-6 aluminum handle with double 420J liners)
    Double liners = major strength (for prying, etc.)
    Blade thickness = .13"

I am a proud owner of the auto open version, and this knife is a tank. The auto-open is crazy-fast, and really snaps open. Heavy and easy to hold on to. It's actually a little big for my EDC preferences, which is why I recently bought the mini version :). May try to sell the full sized one here...
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links