looking for a new larger EDC knife

This is a discussion on looking for a new larger EDC knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so im looking to pick up a new EDC knife but im looking for something a little specific and i was wondering if anyone here ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: looking for a new larger EDC knife

so im looking to pick up a new EDC knife but im looking for something a little specific and i was wondering if anyone here could point me in the direction of a few names of what might suit my needs.

1.will be and EDC primary for general utility opening boxes ext but i want something with a little larger incase i would need it for a Self Defense situation. (god forbid)
    2. i want it to have a blade length greater then 3", even 4" or greater would be a viable option for me.
    3. be a thicker blade knife. something that i feel like i could pry up on something with and not worrie about the blade snaping. (not saying i am prying with it, just trying to put into words what im looking for)
    4. be a wider blade knife. kind of go hand and hand with above.
    5. would really prefer something with and assit to open option, but a good smooth one hand open knife would be consider
    6. blade style is not an issue to me, tanto, drop point ext ext
    7. a handle to be something that you feel like your actually holding onto to something when its in your hand, like a benchmade griptilian handle.

i know i mentioned a benchmade griptilian above and i think that is the best option ive come across as of yet but want to see if there is other options out there befor i spend $150 on a knife. I also like that look and feel of the blade of the kershaw blur but the handle is no where near as thick as i would like and doesnt feel good in my hand, just feels too thin.

i know i put alot of details above i hope thats a help and not making me seem like a picky SOB ive just bought a few knives in the past year and wasnt really happy with them so i would like to try and get it right this time. any and all advise and options you can give me would be greatly appreciated, and if you have something you want to sell send me a PM also.

Sharp, strong, concealable, tough, assisted open, saftey…. been carrying for a while… LOVE IT! I use it everyday and it's as sharp as what it was the day that I got it. Hope this helps.

SOG TF5-CP Trident Desert Camo Partially Serrated Knife - Copper Tini with Clam Pack
    God made man……Sam Colt made them equal.

Beretta PX4 Carrier
    Fourth Gen Glock 26 Carrier

Spyderco, Benchmade, Zero Tolerance, Kershaw all make great 3.5"+ blades. My suggestion would be to visit their websites and see if one looks interesting to you. My personal preference is a knife that has a G10 handle.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Kershaw Cyclone

3-3/4" Blade assisted opening with flipper and thumb studs. G-10 Scales (Smooth/Slick) reversible pocket clip for tip up/down carry .

The Spyderco Resilience sounds like the right EDC for you. 4.25" blade, 8Cr13MoV steel, G10 scales, and around $40 or a bit less.

im familiar with the kershaw blur and cyclone and they are good knives but im looking for something a little thicker in the handle, so it feels like i i have a better grip on the handle. that may not even be an option and what im looking for may not exist or be in my price range. thanks for all the ideas though keep them coming.

Im Looking for the same type of knife, Only I want a fixed blade and a Grip that my hand wont slip off of and onto the blade. P.M me with ideas. I already carry a Kershaw "needs work" its been an awesome knife. stays sharp and assisted opens with a snap fast and hard every time. Only problem is the very tips are brittle. snapped my first bought a 2nd while the first was sent to kershaw and bent the tip of my 2nd. Also when I got the broken one back they didnt replace the blade they just ground it down and reshaped it so the blade was like 1/8" shorter. But other than that if you dont pry on it often it will handle....oh i also used mine to open a bag of cement which was a terrible idea but somehow it still opens like a charm. KAI USA : Kershaw Product Details. I got mine cheaper at dicks and the first one at gndr. mtn.
    DPMS A.R 15
    Glock 30
    Mossberg Maverick 88
    Kel-Tec PF9
    Taurus Ultra-Lite .38

Sponsor
    I'd take a look at CRKT's "The Natural" or Carson M21.

The M21 is probably a bit thinner in the handle than you are looking for but it is a massive folder as is The Natural. The Natural is assisted, the M21 is an extremely smooth opener with the Carson Flipper.

Of course you could just get a Benchmade Presidio or Rift.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Take a look at cold steel they are tough as crap like a fold up sword

Ask and you shall receive. I really like my SOG Tomcat 3.0, the handle is sturdy, textured and slip proof. The only thing I failed to check before I bought it, that I wish I had was a clip.

[IMG][/IMG]

Im a big fan of my Benchmade AFO II,its a little bit over your price point, and its an auto opener, but its a great knife.

Check any of the knives by Ernie Emerson. Genuine combat knives made for combat and utility.

Emerson Knives

Specifically, I would check out the following:

CQC-8

CQC-10

The Horseman

The Journeyman

A-100

Commander

You can get any of them in either plain edge or partially serrated.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't know about your local laws, but I've been carrying one of the Surefire Echo's for the past few days. Either this or a Strider SA-L will likely become my new daily carry.

It's CPM-3v, so it's an extremely hard use steel, but I'd prefer a slightly thicker blade.

Bark'n likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Love both my Benchmade 710 and 760, both stout blades and open and close smoothly, might be a bit over your price point though. i also have a Benchmade Griptillian and you should be able to find one for under $100, i tell everyone that they should own one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links