Automatic v. Manual

This is a discussion on Automatic v. Manual within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Automatics are definitely cool, but I try to stay away from them mainly because if you are a civilian aka non-police/military then you cannot return ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatic v. Manual

New Member Array hk_bladelaw_hk's Avatar
    Automatics are definitely cool, but I try to stay away from them mainly because if you are a civilian aka non-police/military then you cannot return them for repairs. Most manual knives can be opened very fast anyway. Other than spydercos, because the designs on them are for 2 handed opening.

2. Remove Ads

New Member Array hk_bladelaw_hk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I have found that my assisted opener Kershaw is faster than some auto knives, and legal in MI. Definitly faster and more controlable than manual knives as far as opening. Check local laws, then check em out.:)
    Yea, the Kershaw Assisted opener is faster than many autos, also see the Benchmade Apparition or the SOG Knife Series with SAT Technology

Lead Moderator
    Also with an assisted opener , if the torsion spring fails to open it , it should still be able to open manually. I like the assist opener, I can grab/block with 1 hand and draw /open the knife with the other.

Auto vs Manual for what?
    Defense? Manual, less parts to worry about, and most manuals can be opened as fast, if not faster than some Autos.

For just general carry, whatever floats your boat, I carry a Dalton Auto everyday, it wouldn't be the first knife I would go for if I ran out of options and had to use a knife to fight with, but it works like a charm to open up boxes and cut rope.
    "Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"
    E Pluribus Unum

Administrator

Automatic Knives

They are neat for the "Cool Factor' but are considered to be a prohibited weapon for carry in Pennsylvania.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Red face

I'll stick to manuals.....had an auto when I was 18....landed my butt in jail for a night....Bumper, remember "Larry" ?

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospector
    I'll stick to manuals.....had an auto when I was 18....landed my butt in jail for a night....Bumper, remember "Larry" ?
    I could have gone another 30 years without thinking about him....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

no, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No way do you guys get to dangle a "..remember so-and-so...." story and not tell it.

So, make with the story.

Dan

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner
    no, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No way do you guys get to dangle a "..remember so-and-so...." story and not tell it.

So, make with the story.

Dan
    Prospector and I were best friends through high school, college and continuing on to this day. We've been alot of places and been in some interesting situations together, many from spending quite awhile as "partners" as private investigators in DFW. One of our mutual "friends" was a guy named Larry that often landed us in, or very near, deep caca. Luckily, I don't remember the story in enough detail to retell it so Prospector can pick up here....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    not a fan of automatics. I can open a regular tactical folder just as fast and i don't have to worry about legalities.

A safe automatic knife should have a safety catch as well, making it, well, no different than a manual flick knife.

Quote Originally Posted by clubsoda22
    not a fan of automatics. I can open a regular tactical folder just as fast and i don't have to worry about legalities.

A safe automatic knife should have a safety catch as well, making it, well, no different than a manual flick knife.
    I like my assisted open Kershaw. Because I have long fingers and loose joints, I have trouble with the geometry of some manual folders - I can't quite get them all the way open without having to shift my hand, slightly - just something about the way my thumb works. The assisted open gives me the pro's of an auto without the con's. My Blur doesn't have a safety. My wife's Leek does, and she's gotten to where she can slide the safety with her pinky as she flicks the blade open in one smooth operation.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    I like kewrshaw's designs, i just wish they had tougher locks.

I recently had a change of mind about self defense knives to carry. I use to think that Emerson's were the best because of the Wave Feature, thinking that if I was ever attacked it would be the best way to deploy the knife. But, I had a friend "beat me up" while i tried to open my emerson using the wave, and it never happened so I ended up opening it manually which took waaaaaay too long. So, not I carry a Microtech Halo III Auto.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Lead Moderator
    I'll stick with my Blur from Kershaw. Closest to auto knife I can own. No problems drawing while defending for me .

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I'll stick with my Blur from Kershaw. Closest to auto knife I can own. No problems drawing while defending for me .
    I didn't really have any problems with the Emerson, just had to take the time to open it manually. I would rather have the speed of my auto. Emerson is going in my 5.11 jacket though
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links