Automatic v. Manual

This is a discussion on Automatic v. Manual within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Automatic versus manual... I am no kind of expert on knife self-defense. But certain comments in this thread about the difficulty of opening a folder ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Automatic v. Manual

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Automatic versus manual... I am no kind of expert on knife self-defense. But certain comments in this thread about the difficulty of opening a folder (while under physical attack or other stress situation) support my idea that a fixed-blade knife would be quicker to grab and use than any type of folding knife.

Feel free to agree with or refute this theory.

2. Remove Ads

Fixed would be alot better, but some states have laws that prohibit fixed blade carry, other than for hunting.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

I currently carry an auto

Hi Everyone

I currently carry an auto, a pro-tech godson. Pro-tech makes great knives and if you can carry one, I can recommend then highly. Solid construction, great blade grind, Fast powerful kick when opening. You can even get one with the great Mike Norris stainless Damascus.

I have carried many types of manual folders, fixed blades, and neck knives, but I think I have the best knife for my needs and application.

Irighti

Autos are losing that evil profile that the classic "switchblade" created thanks to Hollywood. Only juvenile gang members carried them or used them. These days, an auto reflects a simple need for a method of safe opening with one hand while the other might be occupied. I have a couple of auto knives, but they're not the highest quality knives. I can't afford that. Still, they'll do the job that I might need. Still all in all, I'd rather carry my Spyderco or my Buck "Folding Hunter" when I'm contemplating a real workmans job that needs doing.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    I recently had a change of mind about self defense knives to carry. I use to think that Emerson's were the best because of the Wave Feature, thinking that if I was ever attacked it would be the best way to deploy the knife. But, I had a friend "beat me up" while i tried to open my emerson using the wave, and it never happened so I ended up opening it manually which took waaaaaay too long. So, not I carry a Microtech Halo III Auto.
    I wondered if someone would bring that up! As far as folders go, to me it really is not much different: MA/DA. If something blocks the opening arc, you're in danger of an amputation, and losing time probably needed for serious catch-up! The HALOs are the best- single action, can't be knocked "off-track", fixed blade rigidity when open, and make a respectable kubobaton closed. Waved, either Emerson, or a mod'ed BM or Spydie are excellent, but generally don't lend themselves (closed) to impact work quite as well.

Question Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    The HALOs are the best- single action, can't be knocked "off-track", fixed blade rigidity when open, and make a respectable kubobaton closed.
    HALO? Don't know it. Got a link?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

http://thebrightedge.com/xcart/custo...at=312&page=13
    http://thebrightedge.com/xcart/custo...at=312&page=13

Ex, the difference between the II and III is basically up-swept vs. tanto blade style. Bob Bartoli (his links above) is probably the best price you'll find, unless you really scrounge around. In all honesty, I probably would not buy any other production MT's, right now. The fit, function and finish on the hand-ground (starting about $600) is the best it's ever been, but the production line is very much hit and miss. The HALOs are extremely simple- the only real problem you can have is too tight/loose a tolerance between the lock-point on the butt of the blade, and the button, and I've not seen more than one complaint of this on Microholics (MT's biggest fans, and bashers). I currntly have two Terzuolas(black blade and satin), and two HALO IIIs(both stonewashed). I haven't seen any others in the "user-grade" that were worth the $$, to me.

Here's a link to disassembly/internal views for the HALO:http://www.microholics.org/cgi-micro...=ST;f=8;t=7441

Edit to add: The HALO sounds like a steel-core door slamming shut when you fire it. A nice, reassuring, no BS sound.....much like the slide on a 1911, or an 870.....

I have always used manual folders, have nothing against autos. With practice and the right folder you can open them as fast as any auto.

Currently carry a Spyderco Gunting which is a Kinetic-Opening knife, meaning you open the knife on your opponent or use a conventional opening.

The Gunting

Carry options besides clipping to trousers

I like the wave feature on Emerson's as shown on the Emerson Karmabits below

In recent months have been purchasing several different model Spyderco, Emerson and Benchmade, all manual openers and found that they all are easily opened under stress. Of course not all name brand folders can be easily opened using the Spyderco Drop and could imagine some people might go to an auto after having a bad expereince with a lower quality manual. For instance, my first Spyderco Police was horrible for opening with the Spyderco drop and had to send it back.

Thinking of things, another thing I like about the Guning and Emerson folders is you can adjust the tension so the opening is easier or if your cup of tea harder to open.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links