Automatic v. Manual

This is a discussion on Automatic v. Manual within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What's everyone's opinion on automatics v. Manuals? I like my auto Magmun. Damn thing is so sharp I keep cutting myself with it. Not opening ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Automatic v. Manual

Automatic v. Manual

What's everyone's opinion on automatics v. Manuals? I like my auto Magmun. Damn thing is so sharp I keep cutting myself with it. Not opening it, but using it. I know bad form.
    In fact Bumper, our super admin, was in a gun shop with me the other day and I pulled out my magnum to cut a tye off a Kimber. Bumper just finished telling the proprietor of said shop to, "Stand back he always cuts himself with that thing..." Darned if the end of the blade didn't end up in my index finger.

2. Remove Ads

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Nighthawk,

I sell automatics to police, firefighters, soldiers and EMTs, so I'd better support the issue. The coil-drive models are very practical and reliable.

For most companies, a manual version is also provided. However, there are some premium companies that offer auto only.

Pro Tech is a quality company, and yet, most collectors will never own one since they are all autos. I applaud Microtech with trying to fill out their line with a manual version of their autos with the same quality blade steel.

I will tell you this, there is the 'gizmo factor.' For a few days it's "Weeee, I own a switchblade!"

Then the inital buzz wears off, and you start referring to even the best of the breed as 'my knife.'

In my sharpening case I always carry a few samples in case I meet a LEO while out sharpening. (I also carry a copy if my license.)

Most days I forget I even have them with me.

edit: Before you ask, don't ask. Rather than go through the hassle of obtaining more difficult licenses, I only applied for my Wisconsin Resellers'License. Considering my clientelle, I could have applied for a 'county only' license if there is such a thing. I know my customers, and even then they must show proof of being a sworn officer or they don't get to be my customer.

Meme, I always ccw!! So far no holes. :P

DC Founder
    Who are you talking to? There is no "meme" here

Really, no more 'meme'? And we all had so much to learn.

Anyway, the original poster asked for opinions on 'auto vs manual'. Personally, I figure whatever you use best. For me, I have not had much luck w autos. When I first began to really work on my tools and tactics a few years ago, I was working in a small gun range/shop. The owner and I tested some autos and manuals by trying to deploy them while the other placed the tester in a bear hug from behind. Just that, we didnt flail the tester to the ground or anything like that. What I found was that I could deploy a manual (Spyderco, Benchmade) easier than I could find the small button for the autos. The holes or studs seemed more forgiving to a clumsy opening than the buttons for autos. Not so for other folks, I'm sure.

Hope this made some sense,

Dan

I have several Spyderco's and will always leave the house with atleast one on. I have just purchased a MercWorx Atropos folder. Friend got one and the knife is crazy solid. Kinda makes my Spyderco's look like some of the blades you get off of QVC...

As for the question. I prefer manuals as I like the added comfort in know I am really the only moving part necessary to open it. I believe in KISS. I have owned a few auto's trying to get the hang of them, but I don't feel totally in control of them.

Friend had an auto (cheap unit) and depending on what he had on, the folder would activate and open up on his waist... Umm no thanks...

~A

"meme" has dissappeared... ;)

Manuals

Easier to deploy for me. Legal since I am no longer in the military with a permit.

Right side usually has an old Spyderco Police black finish, and left side a USA Earth. Very old Delica in sock on right side. Been worn there for about 14 years.

Bumper, Thanks for the 'meme' hat trick. I was afraid of his intellect. Got me a new bechmade auto for X-mas. Love it.

NightHawk, how's about some pics???

I have a couple of Daltons (and a few other autos), but don't carry any of them. This is primarily a legal concern; I can lawfully CCW a loaded .45 Auto & 2 spare mags, with a .38 snub as a BUG, but an automatic knife could result in some grief.

Candidly, I don't carry my manual Spyderco Civilian for the same reason; it's not a utility knife, by any means! I recently picked up a Spyderco Manix; bull-strong, easy to deploy (via thumbhole or wrist snap), truly hair-popping sharp edge, needle-sharp tip. It's a fantastic utility knife, and looks like one, too!

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Scbair brings up a very good point. Despite the fact we own this stuff, and it is aimed at a more 'combat market,'we really don't need the stuff. Of course, advertisers are trying to sell us a wave of products, not just knives.

For example, a retractible ASP is a great weapon, although not necessary. If you've ever been swung at with one of those old cut-glass ashtrays you know the reason.

And like everyone else, I'm fickle for new toys. That being said, I've had the same EDC for several months, something I've never done before. Despite the hype of other 'tactical' products' I've found a simple, practical knife that works well in the duties of my daily life.

And while I'm a 'tool guy' and not a knife fighter, there's no doubt in my mind that my EDC could cut like Scbair's Civilian is that was needed.

Could this service be enhanced by an automatic feature? Sure, there are times when a one handed opening is required. But my EDC has a 'Spidey hole' and opens just fine.

Again, this is for my life and needs. YMMV.

With just a little practice with a good knife, I think most people will find an automatic is simply a waste of time and money.

I have a video clip of myself opening my Manix. It was an awkward draw because I was holding the camera in the other hand and I had it open in literally 1 second.

I am very very clumsy and I have no trouble popping a well made manual.

Automatics I think are good for people who don't have full articulation of their hands for whatever reason.

I own more than a few auto knives.
    I will be the first to admit that for me it is the "gadget Factor" as stated by Tourist, and I also refer to it as.
    I have sold most of my single action autos in favor of double action autos. The ones with the hidden deployment button.
    As stated, and we all realize, we now have great manual knives that can be brought into action just as fast, if not faster than an auto knife. Then there is a chance that the one time you really need to deploy that auto knife, and the mechanism fails! Its always a possibility.
    One of my favorite double action auto knives is my AlMar SERE 200, converted to auto by B.Vallotton.
    In manual mode it is a beefy EDC. There is no need to have that as an auto knife, yet I do. The "Gadget Factor" for sure.

Lead Moderator
    I have found that my assisted opener Kershaw is faster than some auto knives, and legal in MI. Definitly faster and more controlable than manual knives as far as opening. Check local laws, then check em out.:)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links