Reassessing my EDC loadout

This is a discussion on Reassessing my EDC loadout within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And, as of tonight, I am making changes to the group. I have a small group of knives that include a cheap little Kbar (that ...

Thread: Reassessing my EDC loadout

Reassessing my EDC loadout

And, as of tonight, I am making changes to the group.

I have a small group of knives that include a cheap little Kbar (that I carried daily for a long time, it is missing grips and everything ), a S&W cheap knife that I carry occassionally, and a 5.5" fixed Kbar that I LOVE but it obviously stays at home. I should also mention that my ideal carry knife is much more for practical daily uses than anything else.

At any rate, I have been reassessing my EDC loadout and updating/adding some componants. I just received my 4Sevens Preon 1, my S.O.G. Visionary 1, and my SOG B66-n Multi-tool. I really like the assisted opening and ability to access the blades without opening the tool. I'm also pretty excited to get a lightweight knife to replace my kbar in a carry and daily use role. Everything I have seen, I have liked. There are certainly some pro's and con's to the knive but I think it will be great for what I need from it.

Oh ya, $85 to my door for the Visionary 1, $67 for the B66-n, and the Preon was around $27. Which is not too bad for what I have seen elsewhere on the interwebz.

I really like the traction that the grip provides and the jimping is awesome:

Of course, the most important part, that VG-10 steel:

And the lighting from above is brought you by (Preon with "clicky cap"). I should add that both clips on the SOG and the Preon 1 are very good:

And just to show you the Kbar I have been carrying for so long (so you know where I am coming from):

Of course I am not forgetting the B66-n:

I really like the nylon case/sheath for the B66-n as well. The velcro is thick and helps ensure a good solid lock up:

And here is a good picture of SOGs "piano key locks":

The B66-n:
    I needed the B66 this weekend for a hiking/camping trip but I will be sending it back to SOG after this weekend. My "locking" switch on the non serrated blade is loose and sort of wiggles back and forth. This is extremely annoying. The blades used for the B66-n are 420j steel, and, that is another downside IMO. It will function fine but it would have been nice to see a little higher quality steel in the blades. Overall, I like it. I need to run it through some paces to figure out exactly how much I like it though. The blades were sharp, so that is a plus. I am also a fan of their assisted opening. The blades on my B66-n had very little side-to-side blade play so I tightened them down a little and now they are great. I am going to add scissors and switch out some tools (requires 2 piano key spaces) so I can have them.

The Preon 1:
    It is very bright, and runs on a common cell. I could have went for the Quark123, something you might want to look into if you want a higher output from an EDC flashlight. However, out of the size of a Preon 1 and a single AAA battery, 70 OTF lumens is a very good output. These lumen ratings from 4Sevens are "OTF" (out the front) and not at the bulb, like some manufacturers. So it is a very conservative 60 lumen rating. I also really like all of the settings on the Preon 2 (moonlight, medium, high, strobe, high and low beacons, S.O.S. and the life of these settings is pretty good as well). I really like it for my needs. I think few people are making an EDC light for the quality and price that 4Sevens offers, IMHO.

The Visionary 1:
    The more I flick the blade open, the more I love this knife. It has the solid and stout VG-10 steel and the blade was hair popping sharp out of the box. I still want to touch it up just a little (different angle) but this is a fantastic little EDC knife! The grip, the jimping, the axis lock system, the deep pocket clip, just everything about the Visionary 1 (on mine anyways) is perfect. There is no blade play at all on my Visionary 1.

All of the above is, of course, just an addition to what I already had (Walther PPS and Crossbreed Supertuck):

(Sorry for all of the bad pictures but I used my phone. I might go through and replace them with pictures from the GF's SLR).
    Last edited by Whitebrad25; March 16th, 2012 at 02:09 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Looks like a nice new set up

Links